R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Thumbs up Slippy floors forum

there used to be one of these on the old hpi site and it was interesting to read. now i am faced with racing on a track with concrete floors with finish on them. smooth and slick. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to dialoge about set ups etc?
Racin Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:58 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

use drift!
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:32 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Here's some dialogue about slippy floor racing...

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I do it every week and, to be honest, it's no way to race a car. Still good fun though (when the car is handling).

We race on gym floors rather than polished concrete though.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:43 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Slippy floor setup basics...

Tyres: UK racers almost exclusively use Schumacher SST Minipins. Yellow is the softer, grippier compound, Blue is stiffer but still works, just not as well. Narrows normally grip better and feel more responsive, but wear fast, Wides last at least twice as long, but have worse grip. Some find that if the grip is really low wides don't work.

Suspension: To maximise mechanical grip, lots of droop is required. I normally set it to the most I can sensibly achieve, normally the ride height setting again in droop. Springing, damping and geometry can normally be tuned in the same way as you would on other tracks, soft (but not too soft) is where I usually start out.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:54 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Hey,

I race on the saturdays on a polished wood floor. I found that the best setup is the same as usual, I don't change absolutely anything and it works like a dream, but there is some grip once we starts qualifying (some ppl even grip roll !).

We use the schumacher rally blue (there's a schumacher series for which it's the controlled tyre) and as Sosidge said, it's like on wet conditions : narrower you'll have more grip, but they'll wear fast, wider you'll have less grip but they'll last longer.

Anyway, I've raced on a polished concrete floor (and won ), my setup was very soft in springs, a lot of droop and the rest was normal. Don't go on exotics setups, stay on basic values for toe in, camber, etc, and try to find the best tyre/springs.

On that race, I used the Tamiya M2 grip tyres, with hard inserts on front and foams on rear, and TC2 additive (it was allowed and once the floor cleaned, worked like a dream, water instead of additive also worked on that strange surface when it was still dirty).

Hope this helps...
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:35 AM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

i race on polished wood floor also, i use schumacher yellow dot minipins (20mm skinnys) by choice but sometimes the budget is low so i have to get the wides. you can still do very well with wides you just have to adapt your driving style to a more agressive one to get the thing turned in better

i leave toe in and camber the same as on most tracks camber: 2 degrees all round rear toe in: 2 degrees and leave the steering neutral. i have found that moving the front shock positions to thier most upright position helps the car to turn in better and makes the car more responsive.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:38 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

ive heard of caster oil on foams works on floor boards, also selastic on rubber slicks works to.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Part # 53227 M2 MEDIUM RADIALS BY TAMIYA A few years ago I raced on a wooden skate rink floor and these tires would actually squeal through some corners may be worth a try if you can find them.
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i love that squealing noise. ride used to make super narrow tires that squealed. ah the memories
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Thanks guys. apparently there is enough of this going on to justify this thread.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #11
Tech Addict

anybody know where i can get Schumacher tyres in the us?

what hardness of insert?

When you say soften the suspension, I have a tc3, are we talking about 25 weight damper fluid and very light springs? anyone with a successful Tc3 set up let me know.

Also, given the likleyhood of not being able to find Schumacher SST Minipins, has anyone tried the HPI pirelli knock off?

Last edited by Racin Rev; 02-03-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:55 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Also, how do you prep the track. I would guess that clean is better, but how often and with what? we are all very new to this.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:42 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Schumacher USA may supply the tyres. Normally I use the Schumacher Blue foam inserts, which are fairly soft.

We never prep the track, it gets faster later as the dust is cleared and a little rubber gets laid down.