R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Personal Mechanics for Top Drivers???

Hi!

I just wanted to see what people's views are on top drivers having personal machanics in their pits.

Most of us don't have that luxury and so I would like to see what people think about this - does anyone think this is too much of an advantage? Or part of the hobby?

Not looking to start anything negative, just trying to see what people's opinions are.

Thanks

Dave
F1Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default Re: Personal Mechanics for Top Drivers???

Quote:
Originally posted by F1Junkie
Hi!

I just wanted to see what people's views are on top drivers having personal machanics in their pits.

Most of us don't have that luxury and so I would like to see what people think about this - does anyone think this is too much of an advantage? Or part of the hobby?

Not looking to start anything negative, just trying to see what people's opinions are.

Thanks

Dave
I don't see a problem with it @ all. You would hope that your personal mechanic is as good or better than the driver (@ pit bitchin that is)
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Personal Mechanics for Top Drivers???

Quote:
Originally posted by Kennedy
I don't see a problem with it @ all. You would hope that your personal mechanic is as good or better than the driver (@ pit bitchin that is)
Hey Sam, you can be my Pit bitch if you want
Team Tekin , ESC's, motors,
Elangears, Chargers,
Rod M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't know about top drivers, but I think teamwork is what this hobby needs! Not everyone is fortunate enough to have their own mechanic in their pits, but there are alot of father and son/daughter or racer/buddy "teams" out there. Even if it is a fellow racer, I think it makes for a better time at the track and it promotes people helping each other. I am sure almost every racer can remember the people that helped them get started. I know I sure can. Thats what it is all about. I am all for it.
Art Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well since this is a hobby, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, don't F-1 drivers, Nascar drivers, and any other form of racing have their own mechanics?! Team work is a good thing. Helping each other is even better. Some people just love to drive and race. Some people just love to tinker, tune, or build. Team them up and bam! Winning combination! And both are having fun! Saying they can not or should not do that is like telling a 9 year old kid his dad can't work on his car between heats. Anyway's, it's just a hobby. Let's just have fun doin what we like. Whether it be driving/racing. Or building and tuning.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:44 PM   #6
Tech Master

most of the top drivers do all the wrenching on there cars but hand there motors over to other people
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #7
R/C Tech Founder

For everybody who has a personal mechanic, there are probably 3 or 4 equally skilled guys who don't. Look at Blackstock, Baker, Kinwald, Tosolini, etc., they all do their own pit work. Nothing at all wrong with teamwork though.

In full-scale racing, nearly every driver started out wrenching on their own cars at some level...
Old 02-01-2004, 11:03 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you can find someone that you can communicate with well enough that what you're feeling the car do can be translated to someone else and they can make adjustments to suite your needs, you've got something that full scale race teams pay millions for. Go for it. Personally, I wouldn't like to have someone doing my mechanic work for me. I like working on the car as much as racing it. Part of the fun for me. I've had people doing motors for me at races and I don't really even like that because I don't have the control of it.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:32 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
For everybody who has a personal mechanic, there are probably 3 or 4 equally skilled guys who don't. Look at Blackstock, Baker, Kinwald, Tosolini, etc., they all do their own pit work. Nothing at all wrong with teamwork though.

In full-scale racing, nearly every driver started out wrenching on their own cars at some level...
Actually Chris brings his dad to the track every now and then, but I havent seen him wrenching on the car
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:52 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

masami's dad does most of the wrenching on his car.....the only thing Masami does(at least that I have ever seen) is balance his own tires/wheels.....and from what I hear he can do it almost perfect by hand with no devices......

In the end, who cares.....if thats what it takes to get racers on the track, then so be it.

Later EddieO
Old 02-02-2004, 07:47 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Default surikarn

The current world champion Surikarn(can't spell his first name) has his father pitting for him so they have to be doing something right
big_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:48 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have three of us that race every Sunday. Me and my wife and daughter, and sometimes extra help between rounds is needed. We all do whatever it takes to keep all these cars running, and guys like Muffin will jump in and lend an extra hand or build the kid a professional version carpet car, TEAMWORK and Friendship is what it's about. I say, Yes to professional mchanics in the pits !!!!!
tmunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

im usually the one pitting for myself and working on 2 or three peoples motors during the races....i personally would rather work on the car then drive it....then i dont have to buy the parts i break
yea...anyways working on other peoples motors is more enjoyable to me cuz i can see how it performs and i have happy customers