R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marooko View Post
For a new guy, which would you recommend? I don't plan on racing, but it's always a possibility. Also, my concern is getting in over my head, adjustment wise. Is the maintenance as much as on a nitro car, on either of these? Meaning, am I gonna get a decent ride just running and basic maintenance, or will I have to go over it every time to get a good run?

Thank you for you previous insight.
I assume you're talking about an onroad nitro car such as a nitro sedan or an onroad 1/8th scale. The maintenance required on a TC4 or TC5 touring car will be much less than on a nitro onroad car. I probably spend 1/3 the time on electric TC maintenance than I do on either my nitro sedan or 1/8th scale.
Chemical X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are a few adjustments that the TC4 lacks over some of the newer cars.

- Height adjustment of diffs.
This is more of an issue with shaft drive cars, since you really can't raise or lower the diff cases. Most newer belt drive cars allow you to run the diffs higher or lower, which changes handling.

- Adjustable width using a-arm/hinge pin mounts
Some newer cars allow you to mount the a-arms closer or farther away from the center line of the chassis. On older cars without this adjustment you can use different width hex adapters to achieve a similar result. Here are examples made by Losi (http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA9686)

Most of the adjustments found on newer cars are also available on the TC4. If you are running the FT TC4, you also have the ability to use different thickness graphite chassis and upper decks to fine tune the handling.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #33
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
There are a few adjustments that the TC4 lacks over some of the newer cars.

- Height adjustment of diffs.
This is more of an issue with shaft drive cars, since you really can't raise or lower the diff cases. Most newer belt drive cars allow you to run the diffs higher or lower, which changes handling.

- Adjustable width using a-arm/hinge pin mounts
Some newer cars allow you to mount the a-arms closer or farther away from the center line of the chassis. On older cars without this adjustment you can use different width hex adapters to achieve a similar result. Here are examples made by Losi (http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA9686)

Most of the adjustments found on newer cars are also available on the TC4. If you are running the FT TC4, you also have the ability to use different thickness graphite chassis and upper decks to fine tune the handling.
I think roll center adjustments are vastly more limited on the TC3/4 platform as well. There are also some things that the TC3/4 CAN adjust, just not as granularly, like shock positions...

Playing with my TC4 last night... realised there is also almost no ackerman adjustment, and also limited wheelbase and track adjustment as well.
- RCSpecialties -

Last edited by Cpt.America; 09-11-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote