R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (67%+)
Default Novak GTB or lrp sphere tc??

I'm new to the world of electric and have narrowed it down to these two esc. Which would
everyone recommend and why? The gtb I'm looking at has the lipo cut off just so everyone knows. I plan on running 17.5 stock sedan. Also, what's a good "C" rating to start out with? Is the 40c worth the difference over a 20c lipo? I'm looking to buy today so any help would be appreciated. I'm getting a used Orion platinum but I've been looking at the yeah racing from rcmart or the intellect from rcmarket as both of these fit in my price range. If there are other batteries that would fall into the $45-60 range please let me know!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane369 View Post
I'm new to the world of electric and have narrowed it down to these two esc. Which would
everyone recommend and why? The gtb I'm looking at has the lipo cut off just so everyone knows. I plan on running 17.5 stock sedan. Also, what's a good "C" rating to start out with? Is the 40c worth the difference over a 20c lipo? I'm looking to buy today so any help would be appreciated. I'm getting a used Orion platinum but I've been looking at the yeah racing from rcmart or the intellect from rcmarket as both of these fit in my price range. If there are other batteries that would fall into the $45-60 range please let me know!
Either of the ESC's you've identified are solid choices. I like Novak for the customer service, but many people like LRP. "Orange vs. Blue" is an old-time debate, which speaks to their similarities more than their differences. Get your best price and call it good.

If you can, stretch for one really good battery. A Thunder Power 5000 40c is a great choice, both for performance and cycle life. Running 17.5 brushless, you won't draw down the pack beyond halfway in a normal run (a minute of warm-up, six of racing, and maybe two more just for fun.) You can recharge at 5 amps and still be at the 1C rate and your turnaround between runs will be thirty minutes or less. More than adequate for any club racing. With your lipo cutoff on the ESC as a fail-safe, that package should last you a good long time and perform well. You'll get a full return on your investment, and then some.

If you need a rationalization to stretch for the battery, the best deal I'm finding on a GTB is roughly $50 less than what I'm finding on a TC Spec. Get the GTB, take your "savings," and put it toward the battery.

Good luck.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane369 View Post
For me and some others I know the LRP and GTB are very different and in 17.5 the GTB isn't even close in performance. I would definitely get the LRP.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Coming from someone who has run both, I would definitely go with the LRP. 17.5-10.5 it's the superior speed control. I've never run the GTB or the LRP in mod, but I've heard that 9.5-3.0 winds are more the GTB's area.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Grab yourself a Tekin RS PRO because at the end of the day you wont be happy with an old ESC. It's a solid investment.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Grab yourself a Tekin RS PRO because at the end of the day you wont be happy with an old ESC. It's a solid investment.
Not so sure of that, guy that won our series race this weekend was running a LRP Sphere competition 07 and to say the least, plenty fast. I would call that an old speedy. He chose to run this over a "turbo" speedy.

Rod
Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

based on my experience in modified class, GTB is reliable, never heard any problem. But LRP sphere is definitely faster, although less reliable.
krat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I see this thread turning into a digital slap fest.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFist View Post
Marcos might have to get in here and hit someone with his ring-hand.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFist View Post
Really shouldn't don't think many will argue honestly against the fact that the LRP is a faster/better speedy specially in stock classes. My speedy is actually 1st gen Sphere and haven't had any issues.

Rod
Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I was in the same boat, trying to decide which ESC to get.

I end up getting the Tekin RS, standard. Tekin's customer service is the #2 reason why I picked it up. Reasons 1a and 1b were reliability/performance.

Randy Pike is an active member of the RC Tech community, and always, ALWAYS has an answer, should you have a question pertaining to setup/trouble-shooting for Tekin's line of products.

I'm using the Novak Ballistic 13.5T/17.5T/10.5T (the latter w/ their respective stators), in an RC10T4 with Thunder Power 5000 mAH 40C lipos. If the Tekin motors were available with the flexibility to run different stators, I would have sprung for theirs.

You can get a Tekin RS for around $160 using Tower's $20 coupon for orders over $200. I got the Tekin RS + Tekin Hotwire for $180 shipped.
Armaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Tech Elite

You should run the Orca TC Spec esc. If you run a GTB, you'll have much better tech support than the LRP. But you'll need to gear a lot differently with the GTB to keep up with the LRP. Novak has a new esc on the horizon. Just not sure when it'll be out.

Battery, ThunderPower 5000 40C pack. Can't go wrong with it. I charge 10amps every round since March. Over 140 charges. Voltage still the same as when new (if not better). I charge at 10 amps only because I have only one battery pack. So I need it done fast to make it to next qualifier. Otherwise, 5amp charge is just fine.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

If your going to get the Novak wait and get the Havoc Pro from Novak as it has a few more profiles than the GTB and is alos about 30 bucks cheaper. It is shipping in Septemeber. I think Novak shows them for 119 bucks.

Customer service has always been one of Novaks strong points over the last 20 plus years. I know NovakTwo and Steve Weis from Novak post alot so if you need more info those would be the guys to ask.

If you for a few more dollars then the Tekin RS is tough to beat and is fully programable and Tekin has alot of support on Tech from Randy so getting help is not a problem.

In the end of the day some speedos have more bells in whistles so it just depends on the features your looking for.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (67%+)

Well I definately appreciate everyones opinion. I ve done alot of reading and research but in the end when you know what none of these features that one offers over the other one does then it's kind of pointless! When I say new to this, I mean new! Only thing else I've found that's coming fairly well recommended is the speed passion gt 2.0. Anyone familiar with this? I know it comes with the programming box which seems like it'd make things easier.