Wiki Posts
Search

What to upgrade to??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What to upgrade to??

Just got into driving 1/10th touring cars at my local track and bought a Associated TC4 with a Novak 13.5 turn motor and Havok ESC. Am starting to think about upgrading the car to a belt drive car. I know Xray's are really nice but what about Hot Boddies or HPI Cars? Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hgbtrout
Just got into driving 1/10th touring cars at my local track and bought a Associated TC4 with a Novak 13.5 turn motor and Havok ESC. Am starting to think about upgrading the car to a belt drive car. I know Xray's are really nice but what about Hot Boddies or HPI Cars? Any ideas?
Losi Type R is the only car that car that is a proven winner. All the other come with a new car every year.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm not sure i read your post correctly.

Are you saying the Losi Type R is the only proven winner of All the chassis' available or just that its the best Losi so far to date?
Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lidebt2
Losi Type R is the only car that car that is a proven winner. All the other come with a new car every year.
I own a Type R and I find this statement a little fishy. XRay, Hot Bodies, Associated, and T.O.P. Are all proven cars and have won a ton. With modern touring cars there really isn't a bad choice. Just be sure that you can get parts in a timely fashion.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
I'm not sure i read your post correctly.

Are you saying the Losi Type R is the only proven winner of All the chassis' available or just that its the best Losi so far to date?
If you read it again I said "proven winner". No where did I say anything anything about "proven winner of All the chassis' available", did I?
Old 09-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

If you read it again I said "proven winner". No where did I say anything anything about "proven winner of All the chassis' available", did I?
well if 'you' read your first post, you said, its the"only" proven winner, well actually you said, the "only" car that car that is a proven winner. I didn't understand the studder,and not to mention you started your next sentence with the word "all", but yea by adding the word "only" to your post thats kinda what it means and I wasn't sure thats what you meant so I asked. Its cool, I understand now.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MonkeyFist
I own a Type R and I find this statement a little fishy. XRay, Hot Bodies, Associated, and T.O.P. Are all proven cars and have won a ton. With modern touring cars there really isn't a bad choice. Just be sure that you can get parts in a timely fashion.
Just to let you know I owned 2 Type R's before my local track closed. 1 I sold a few months agao and 1 I have for sale now.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
well if 'you' read your first post, you said, its the"only" proven winner, well actually you said, the "only" car that car that is a proven winner. I didn't understand the studder,and not to mention you started your next sentence with the word "all", but yea by adding the word "only" to your post thats kinda what it means and I wasn't sure thats what you meant so I asked. Its cool, I understand now.
NP
Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

GL
Old 09-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anycar that you can get spare parts coverage.Most inportant is your fingers..
Old 09-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hgbtrout
By "just got into", what do you mean? Are you able to race all qualifiers and the mains without a single mistake? How consistent are your lap times?

Unless you are able to run very consistent and clean laps for an entire event, I would strongly recommend just staying with your current car and get your stick skills and tuning skills up. The TC4 is a chassis that should be fine while you work up your skill. And you can learn plenty about how to properly tune and balance a chassis using the TC4. Until you are excellent in both areas, you probably won't be able to handle the upgrade anyways. Why spend more money if you don't have to? The hobby is already expensive enough .

However, in the case I have mis-judged you and you are already an experienced onroad racer that simply moved to a new class, please forgive my ignorance .

Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

If you are really unhappy with the TC4 you have a large number of choices in belt cars, but as has been said already the most annoying factor down the line is if you can't get parts for your car. Do a little bit of poking around and that should yield some pointers.
Any of the cars mentioned above are race proven.
You might even want to look into a lower budget car like the TA05 based setups if they're easy enough to get parts for around your neck of the woods.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Seinfeld couldnt have even come up with a better call than that You obviously didnt graduate from Tommy VuTongs RC University.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If you want to stick with AE there is always the TC5. Its a real nice car and its belt drive!
But as Jolson88 said if you "just got into" it you should stick to your TC4 and learn with it. Then when you feel comfortable with it, then i would start to upgrade.
Just my .02
P.S.- I just saw this in niznai's signature and i think its very fitting
The best upgrade to any car is the driver's skill.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

hey thanks for the all the information. Ya I am definately rookie status. still learning how to get around the track without banging some walls. Definately not racing all qualifiers. My thought was it might be easier to learn on a nicer set up but it doesn't sound like I would even appreciate the money spent. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep working on the fingers end of the equation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.