Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1568Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'd really like to see the VIP body with a scale cockpit/canopy. The current one is way out of scale and whilst it works really well it does look a little odd.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

i am trying to revive my ae 10l2. I was just wondering is there any hop up available to make the car more competitive . can i install hyperdrive in this car to make it more responsive? any other suggestion will be appreciated. thanks.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

You can make an RC10L2.5. I think the manual for the 10L2.5 is from Mark Anton and uses RC10L3 parts.

Or make a topplate for the standard wide pod and put either shocks or dampertubes on. (or drill two holes in the original plate is also possible but not so nice to do)
Attached Thumbnails Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-im001399.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
10Lv25_Part_1.pdf (159.5 KB, 140 views)
10Lv25_Part_2.pdf (364.3 KB, 90 views)
10Lv25_Part_3.pdf (328.0 KB, 77 views)
10Lv25_Part_4.pdf (328.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Very curious what body it is, sneak peek!

The medium downforce body is younger than the High Downforce Peugeot? I always thought it was the other way around. Thanks for the history lesson.
2wdrive:

I can give you a real history lesson as it pertains to the Peugeot 905B. I hope not to bore you guys with my detailed account. Oh well.....

Well, it kinda starts in 1994 in Sonneberg Germany. It was only my second year in the rc bodyshell business. I was very "green" and didn't know any international racers at all. Suddenly in late July 1994 my fax machine (this was before the days of personal computers/internet/e-mails etc) started spitting out international orders for my P35 Nissan body. I asked myself "what the heck is this all about? It was just weird. At the time I was not aware of the fact that some Japanese kid named Masami had won the IFMAR WORLDS in Germany using this Protoform body. (we actually had a few in the a-main including Jon Orr in 3rd place) When I finally heard the news weeks later I was blown away. It was totally unexpected and very exciting to say the least.

So, in winter of 1996 I started preparing for the next IFMAR WORLDS to be held at Revelation Raceway in southern California. I wanted to design a body that was more adjustable to track sizes and conditions. So I made a 6 piece mold of the Peugeot 905B. I could bolt onto the main center section 2 different nose configutrations and 3 different tail sections that had varying degrees of downforce. I sent in all the required samples to get the body ROAR and IFMAR approved. (something that was quite difficult for a new company like mine) I sent out boxes and boxes of bodies to well know racers around the world including Masami. The UPS shipping costs alone were a killer. (my company was still operating in the "red") I sent them every conceivable combination of bodies with different combinations of Lo / Med / and Hi front and rear end combinations. I though I was all set to "shake things up" with something new and novel. Then in July I packed up my wife and 3 kids and we flew to California to attend the WORLDS and go sight seeing.

When I got to the track I was shocked to see that there was not one PF Peugeot 905B to be found anywhere. When I started asking racers if they had gotten the body shipments they all just kinda shrugged me off. It was not really a topic that any of them wanted to talk about it seemed. That was the day I learned a valuable lesson when it pertains to RC racing and RC racers. It's the "KISS" theory that I learned. Ya....its all about "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Well, it appeared that I had gone to a lot of work for nothing - I'd shot myself in the foot. The racers were just confused by all the options I was trying to give them. It all looked complicated for them I guess - and a lot of work too.
To add insult to injury, the spineless IFMAR officials at this event completely ignored the officially written IFMAR/ERFA body rules and were allowing "unapproved" one-off bodies to be used. The cheating was so rampant it was unbelievable. Seriously, the racers were having custom bodies pulled every evening at a local RC body maker's shop just down the road. Needless to say I was disappointed and annoyed.

On the day of the Mains, I had lunch with Chris Tossolini (a stranger to me then) and Chris Doseck a PF team driver. When I told them of my disappointment they both agreed they they would trim out a 905B and mount them up for the B-Main where both had qualified. Well - they ran very strong considering they had never driven with this body. They finished 1-2 in the B-main with lap times that matched Mike Swauger's winning A-Main times. I was much relieved to see this.

The Peugeot 905B was finally tested years later by the Yokomo Team in Japan and in it's final "hurrah" at Yatabe Arena it was mounted on every car in the final huge Pro10 race held there. It was either the Japan Nationals or the final IFMAR race for the Pro10 class in 1998. Not sure which. ??

I was always sorry to see the class go away as an official class. So glad that there have been a group of European racers keeping it going all these years.
Now there seems like renewed interest in Pro10 even in America. It will be a class at the IIC race in Las Vegas as well as the Snowbirds Nationals in Florida in 2017.

I hope you guys like my lastest creation. It "looks" fast impo - and will have some aero-adjustability. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

Thanks for your time.

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Attached Thumbnails Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-masamis-pf-p35.jpg  

Last edited by daleepp; 08-05-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Great Story Dale. You have come a long way since. Keep up the good work I'm looking forward in getting my hands on your new GTP body.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great story! Nice to read those stories from the past. And indeed Pro10 is still alive in europe and growing! I just started again after an 8yrs break. And in my first race this yr 1st in the b final. With a Proto PeugeotHD! The body just drives good on all items... Question, i sid hear there is coming a new protoform pro10 body! Is this thrue????

Grtz Erwin
Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EPeters
Great story! ... Question, i sid hear there is coming a new protoform pro10 body! Is this thrue????

Grtz Erwin
From post #3443: "In just a couple weeks I'll have something all new for all you go-fast Pro10 guys. I'm hoping it will be swift on the track."

From my last post: "I hope you guys like my lastest creation. It "looks" fast impo - and will have some aero-adjustability. Guess we'll have to see what happens."

Old 08-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Don't forget us guys in Australia who are trying to rebuild the class! lol
Old 08-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 218 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
It depends on country and class.
Name your poisen and we shall deliver a rulebook

Regards Roy
Im in ohio and plan on running the US indoor champs. I know they are 2s, 13.5 blinky, spec tire. I don't know the weight
Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Old 08-06-2016, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for sharing your story. Even though I can imagine your dissapointment at the time I actually had a laugh when reading the bit about the 'spineless IFMAR officials' and drivers pulling custom bodies .

Originally Posted by daleepp
2wdrive:

I can give you a real history lesson as it pertains to the Peugeot 905B. I hope not to bore you guys with my detailed account. Oh well.....

Well, it kinda starts in 1994 in Sonneberg Germany. It was only my second year in the rc bodyshell business. I was very "green" and didn't know any international racers at all. Suddenly in late July 1994 my fax machine (this was before the days of personal computers/internet/e-mails etc) started spitting out international orders for my P35 Nissan body. I asked myself "what the heck is this all about? It was just weird. At the time I was not aware of the fact that some Japanese kid named Masami had won the IFMAR WORLDS in Germany using this Protoform body. (we actually had a few in the a-main including Jon Orr in 3rd place) When I finally heard the news weeks later I was blown away. It was totally unexpected and very exciting to say the least.

So, in winter of 1996 I started preparing for the next IFMAR WORLDS to be held at Revelation Raceway in southern California. I wanted to design a body that was more adjustable to track sizes and conditions. So I made a 6 piece mold of the Peugeot 905B. I could bolt onto the main center section 2 different nose configutrations and 3 different tail sections that had varying degrees of downforce. I sent in all the required samples to get the body ROAR and IFMAR approved. (something that was quite difficult for a new company like mine) I sent out boxes and boxes of bodies to well know racers around the world including Masami. The UPS shipping costs alone were a killer. (my company was still operating in the "red") I sent them every conceivable combination of bodies with different combinations of Lo / Med / and Hi front and rear end combinations. I though I was all set to "shake things up" with something new and novel. Then in July I packed up my wife and 3 kids and we flew to California to attend the WORLDS and go sight seeing.

When I got to the track I was shocked to see that there was not one PF Peugeot 905B to be found anywhere. When I started asking racers if they had gotten the body shipments they all just kinda shrugged me off. It was not really a topic that any of them wanted to talk about it seemed. That was the day I learned a valuable lesson when it pertains to RC racing and RC racers. It's the "KISS" theory that I learned. Ya....its all about "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Well, it appeared that I had gone to a lot of work for nothing - I'd shot myself in the foot. The racers were just confused by all the options I was trying to give them. It all looked complicated for them I guess - and a lot of work too.
To add insult to injury, the spineless IFMAR officials at this event completely ignored the officially written IFMAR/ERFA body rules and were allowing "unapproved" one-off bodies to be used. The cheating was so rampant it was unbelievable. Seriously, the racers were having custom bodies pulled every evening at a local RC body maker's shop just down the road. Needless to say I was disappointed and annoyed.

On the day of the Mains, I had lunch with Chris Tossolini (a stranger to me then) and Chris Doseck a PF team driver. When I told them of my disappointment they both agreed they they would trim out a 905B and mount them up for the B-Main where both had qualified. Well - they ran very strong considering they had never driven with this body. They finished 1-2 in the B-main with lap times that matched Mike Swauger's winning A-Main times. I was much relieved to see this.

The Peugeot 905B was finally tested years later by the Yokomo Team in Japan and in it's final "hurrah" at Yatabe Arena it was mounted on every car in the final huge Pro10 race held there. It was either the Japan Nationals or the final IFMAR race for the Pro10 class in 1998. Not sure which. ??

I was always sorry to see the class go away as an official class. So glad that there have been a group of European racers keeping it going all these years.
Now there seems like renewed interest in Pro10 even in America. It will be a class at the IIC race in Las Vegas as well as the Snowbirds Nationals in Florida in 2017.

I hope you guys like my lastest creation. It "looks" fast impo - and will have some aero-adjustability. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

Thanks for your time.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok Weight 1050grams.
Rather light but with the VBC and roadkill it could be done.
Go as for a body, only Pro10 developed bodies so no lola's or something similar.
Tires are covered as are motor and esc rules.
Max wide 240mm on the body perhaps?
This as you then can go 235 real mm wide.
Wheelbase is i believe max 280mm??
Batteries, any 2S type as long as it is a hard case.
So brick, shorty, saddle or 2x 1S will do
No slipper clutch, gyro or any electronic aid allowed.
These are some rules that can be applied
Or try e-mailing the people who organize the event and ask them?

Regards Roy

Originally Posted by racerx1920
Im in ohio and plan on running the US indoor champs. I know they are 2s, 13.5 blinky, spec tire. I don't know the weight
Old 08-06-2016, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

@Daleepp....Great story and sad to see the parts about them not running your body at that moment.
The 905B is a nice body but we don't have it here any more accept some people who have them stored away
It is a bit short on the wheelbase for the today Pro10 cars but with some fiddling it fits as is the 905HD.
I used to run the P35 body and after that the Mix Nissan and for a rain car the Sauber or the Porsche.
Nowadays i run the Team saxo body and love the outright balance of the body without doing anything to it.
As Joost and i are team mates we have now our own color sceme in different colors.
Here are some pic's of the last Benelux race we had last month.
If you like to see more, let me know

Regards Roy

Old 08-06-2016, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joost K.
Can you up-scale a 12th scale body to fit a Pro10? If so, please make the BlackArt Audi R8c...

(if you need them, I have enough laying here)
This one? I don't see the similarity with the actual R8c, which I want to do the Bentley version of it. I would do a generic LMP if I ever follow the 1/12th path

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
I would like to see more choices in 235 mm bodies. Any choices would be an improvement.
I would love to offer something Dale hasn't made, the most probable cars I would make are: C9, 787B, Dauer 962, a Jag(still don't know which), 911 GT1( disclaimer, I don't want to step on Dale's toes), 2013 Bentley and maybe the Peugeot 908.

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
I have a clear 235mm jaguar xjr14 body that could be used to make a mold . For those that don't know the body see pics, the car and body in the pic isn't mine. I still have a passion for the old style bodies.

On the other hand an upscaled 1/12 is most likely a better idea as people are used to the modern style of body and it will probably be easier to drive for most people as well.
That looks really good, thanks for the offer! Going to need some more pics, to see how my ideas apply. PM sent!

Originally Posted by pullstarter
I'd really like to see the VIP body with a scale cockpit/canopy. The current one is way out of scale and whilst it works really well it does look a little odd.
Which one is that?

Last edited by 30Tooth; 08-07-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by daleepp
In just a couple weeks I'll have something all new for all you go-fast Pro10 guys. I'm hoping it will be swift on the track.
*psst!* Could you make a 200mm version too? We need to be swift too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.