Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion >

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Like Tree1558Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Hi Hugo,

It is simplicity of the kingpin that makes most drivers go to the kingpin design. In theory front suspension with shock etc are better but when racing it really doesn't matter that much and the simplicity and ease of adjustments/maintenance etc of the kingpin makes it for many drivers an easy choice. Same for the back.

Experimenting is part of the hobby and it is fun to design something and show people your skills and idea's so please continue with the design and show the results .
Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with kingpin suspension for a start, keeping it indeed simple. I fear my rear suspension idea might die early, too, as I held some pro-10 cars in my hands yesterday and felt the torsional spring force and dampening, or rather the lack there-off. That also explanes how you can get away with simple kingpin suspension in the front, you hardly need anything there...

Another idea in the mind, please comment: I see many people concerned with ride height, and rightfully so, and all these cars use high downforce bodies and wings. So, ride height changes at speed. Ride height is high in the slow corners, where you want the CG to be low. Ride height is low on the fast straight because of the down force, but you don't need it there. Hmmm... Why not mount the body to the rear pod and the kingpins (some engineering required there...) so the downforce goes directly to the wheels, and the chassis can stay low to the ground all the time?

Just an idea. Please shoot! One thing that comes to mind is unsprung weight. Has anyone tried?

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 05-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HugoW
Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with kingpin suspension for a start, keeping it indeed simple. I fear my rear suspension idea might die early, too, as I held some pro-10 cars in my hands yesterday and felt the torsional spring force and dampening, or rather the lack there-off. That also explanes how you can get away with simple kingpin suspension in the front, you hardly need anything there...

Another idea in the mind, please comment: I see many people concerned with ride height, and rightfully so, and all these cars use high downforce bodies and wings. So, ride height changes at speed. Ride height is high in the slow corners, where you want the CG to be low. Ride height is low on the fast straight because of the down force, but you don't need it there. Hmmm... Why not mount the body to the rear pod and the kingpins (some engineering required there...) so the downforce goes directly to the wheels, and the chassis can stay low to the ground all the time?

Just an idea. Please shoot! One thing that comes to mind is unsprung weight. Has anyone tried?

Cheers,

Hugo
Yes, it works well. But you'll need to arrange some way to feed only the down force into the rear pod, and take out the lateral forces with a linkage or locating pin to the main chassis. Otherwise the handling will get weird.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Yeah it is already being used. The pic is an example how it is done at the back.
Attached Thumbnails Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-rc-devil-pc10h3x-01.jpg  

Last edited by 2wdrive; 05-05-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RoyU
2wdrive, do you sell the upper pod plate?
organic is correct, i bought it from PRC but it is not availlable anymore.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Look closer at the car... It is a T-bar car and not a link like your showing
Yes, you're right.
but i see no screws on the sides of this Tbar, so the rear pod is totally free of rotation ?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

the screws are in the front but aren't vissible in the picture. The two screwholes in the middle of the t-bar are not used. They were just for testing something wich didn't work out so I removed the screws. Depending on the grip or layout of the track I used T-bar screws or not.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Initiate

the screws are in the front but aren't vissible in the picture. The two screwholes in the middle of the t-bar are not used. They were just for testing something wich didn't work out so I removed the screws. Depending on the grip or layout of the track I used T-bar screws or not.

Do you change the T-bar sometimes ?
Do you have different tickness ?

Last edited by Silverprout; 05-05-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Also running a T-bar car but with side dampers instead of damper tubes.
Not changing T-bars at all.
Just play with springs.

Regards Roy
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

I change t-bars when there is a stress mark in the t-bar. Or at the beginning of the year.

I played around with different thickness t-bars. With tweak screws you can really see and feel the difference. (like changing to a soft side spring). But to be honest I rarely use the thin t-bars, only when removing the tweek scews don't work.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Initiate

I change t-bars when there is a stress mark in the t-bar. Or at the beginning of the year.

I played around with different thickness t-bars. With tweak screws you can really see and feel the difference. (like changing to a soft side spring). But to be honest I rarely use the thin t-bars, only when removing the tweek scews don't work.
Why epoxy ?
Carbon is lighter and more nervous.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Can you rephrase the question? I am not sure what you are trying to ask or tell.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I have always wanted to race a 235mm wide pan car. Are there any new 235mm wide kits available to buy?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

There are several brands with a 235mm kit out of the box.
Corally 10sl , Hatzenbach and vip performance.
Also 200mm wgt cara can be made 235mm like the serpent and xray.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Can you rephrase the question? I am not sure what you are trying to ask or tell.
We could use carbon instead of epoxy to improve the T-BAR ?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silverprout
We could use carbon instead of epoxy to improve the T-BAR ?
The fiberglass/epoxy will flex much more than carbon before breaking. Since the T-bar is supposed to flex, fiberglass is the better material.

Spring steel is sometimes also used.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.