Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion >

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Like Tree717Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Reply

Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM
  #241  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
Thanks Phil

To explain that picture... that was the pro10 class during our national race today.

Too bad my brushed esc was short circuit due to water that got inside the balloon. I only needed 1 lap to finish third place total....... my esc fried during the 2 practise laps just before the start... DOH!
pick up a LRP qc2, waterproof son! lol
rx7ttlm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
  #242  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (21)
 
peter_robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Lake
Posts: 3,206
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

This thread is so full win I almost can't handle it...
peter_robinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:18 PM
  #243  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,682
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
Thanks for the picture Phil!

I am so happy I have a dedicated rain car
Pro ten Holland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
  #244  
Tech Apprentice
 
westy1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 83
Default

Mathijs it look more like a speed boat
westy1969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 PM
  #245  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,682
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, it almost made sense to turn the body up-side-down to create some lift
Pro ten Holland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 PM
  #246  
Tech Regular
 
tudor_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 345
Default

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
Thanks for the picture Phil!

I am so happy I have a dedicated rain car
Hi,
interested, we run when the rain starts.... and that is a bad thing as it usually rains alot during our very short summer..

could you give us all a good explanation as to how you have protected your electronics and what wheels and stuff you use for a rain-race?
Thanks!
/Johnny, Ostersund Sweden
tudor_47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 AM
  #247  
V12
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
V12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Mathijs
do you have a picture from your rain car? Itīs always interesting seeing the different solutions.
V12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
  #248  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,682
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by V12 View Post
Mathijs
do you have a picture from your rain car? Itīs always interesting seeing the different solutions.
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-dsc_0001.jpg   Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-dsc_0002.jpg  
Pro ten Holland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM
  #249  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,329
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default real men

Wow. You guys in europe must be hard core. Nobody here in the States would ever consider running RC on-road cars in the rain. Impressive.
vafactor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 PM
  #250  
Tech Regular
 
tudor_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 345
Default

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
Here you go
Nice,

Thanks for showing.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to do this with mine, as my ESC has a fan....

/Johnny
tudor_47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 PM
  #251  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,682
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Some important notes to my rain car:
- Motor runs sensorless. Sensors + water =
- Motor is otherwise unprotected (no need).
- Receiver and ESC are mounted on 4 layers of servo tape. It allows some water to enter the box before I get into troubles.
- The box is sealed with duckt tape and filles with either paper towels or water absorption bags you find in the packaging of most electrical apparatas you buy.
- Rollout is to the moon (>57mm) because of sensorless mode. In really heavy rain I have to gear down because of the added drag.
- Ride height is around 7-8mm. I found out I will need even more in monsoon conditions.
- Diff is tightened to the point of almost completely locked. Water lets you diff slip really easily.
- Servo is an old Futaba 9650 with its seems sealed with tape and thick grease on the shaft.
- After running my car, I put a drop of oil on each bearing and spin it to avoid rust. The rest I dry of as good as possible. Expect to change diff balls often as they rust easily.
- Chassis setup is almost irrelevant in the rain. Just make sure everything is straight. Finetuning you can forget. It is all grandma-style driving in the rain.

My car survived 10 minutes of monsoon conditions last weekend with only a couple of drops of water in the electronics box. I was quite impressed!

It is not so much a matter of being hardcore, it is more a matter of wanting to have fun racing even when it rains. And it rains often here.
Pro ten Holland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
  #252  
Tech Master
 
2wdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,316
Default

The bearings of my front wheels were all gone bad after the try out last sunday. There was no movement in them what so ever. I gues waiting till the next day to clean or oil them is a sure way to let them rust.


Movies say more then pictures. Mathijs in the rain with his Corally 10X NG during our rained out clubrace 3 weeks or so ago.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
2wdrive is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 AM
  #253  
Tech Regular
 
tudor_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 345
Default

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
Some important notes to my rain car:
- Motor runs sensorless. Sensors + water =
- Motor is otherwise unprotected (no need).
- Receiver and ESC are mounted on 4 layers of servo tape. It allows some water to enter the box before I get into troubles.
- The box is sealed with duckt tape and filles with either paper towels or water absorption bags you find in the packaging of most electrical apparatas you buy.
- Rollout is to the moon (>57mm) because of sensorless mode. In really heavy rain I have to gear down because of the added drag.
- Ride height is around 7-8mm. I found out I will need even more in monsoon conditions.
- Diff is tightened to the point of almost completely locked. Water lets you diff slip really easily.
- Servo is an old Futaba 9650 with its seems sealed with tape and thick grease on the shaft.
- After running my car, I put a drop of oil on each bearing and spin it to avoid rust. The rest I dry of as good as possible. Expect to change diff balls often as they rust easily.
- Chassis setup is almost irrelevant in the rain. Just make sure everything is straight. Finetuning you can forget. It is all grandma-style driving in the rain.

My car survived 10 minutes of monsoon conditions last weekend with only a couple of drops of water in the electronics box. I was quite impressed!

It is not so much a matter of being hardcore, it is more a matter of wanting to have fun racing even when it rains. And it rains often here.
Many thanks!
lots of good advice, now I know more on rain proofing cars.
looks like a special rain-car is a good chooice!
We have similar conditions here lots of rain in a normal summer.


now, were do I find a used pro10 car?
tudor_47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 AM
  #254  
Tech Regular
 
darthsnouty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bunbury, W.A.
Posts: 376
Default rain car

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
Some important notes to my rain car:
- Motor runs sensorless. Sensors + water =
- Motor is otherwise unprotected (no need).
- Receiver and ESC are mounted on 4 layers of servo tape. It allows some water to enter the box before I get into troubles.
- The box is sealed with duckt tape and filles with either paper towels or water absorption bags you find in the packaging of most electrical apparatas you buy.
- Rollout is to the moon (>57mm) because of sensorless mode. In really heavy rain I have to gear down because of the added drag.
- Ride height is around 7-8mm. I found out I will need even more in monsoon conditions.
- Diff is tightened to the point of almost completely locked. Water lets you diff slip really easily.
- Servo is an old Futaba 9650 with its seems sealed with tape and thick grease on the shaft.
- After running my car, I put a drop of oil on each bearing and spin it to avoid rust. The rest I dry of as good as possible. Expect to change diff balls often as they rust easily.
- Chassis setup is almost irrelevant in the rain. Just make sure everything is straight. Finetuning you can forget. It is all grandma-style driving in the rain.

My car survived 10 minutes of monsoon conditions last weekend with only a couple of drops of water in the electronics box. I was quite impressed!

It is not so much a matter of being hardcore, it is more a matter of wanting to have fun racing even when it rains. And it rains often here.
What sort of tyre are you using in the video?
I take it they are not foam....
darthsnouty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 AM
  #255  
Tech Apprentice
 
westy1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 83
Default

He's using tamiya caps.
westy1969 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service