Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

R/C Tech Live @ the 2004 Trinity/Car Action Snowbird Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the biggest thing I found when using a digi is that you have to get close and us a flash for action indoors. the other option is using auxillary lighting. even some of Shane's pictures have a slight blur to them. the other trick is getting the cars in the corner when they are slow. I have yet to see a digi that takes low light action like a SLR camera.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Shane: Any close up pics of the track disintegration? How about a wide shot of the onroad track when it's all grooved up? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does Anybody know were the Race Rock Presentation photo's are at?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:30 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I was not at Race Rock unfortunately, I was so tired by the end of the race day that I just went back to my room and crashed.

I don't have any pictures of the track falling apart, but it was difficult to see just by looking at it. You had to stand on it (or drive over it) to feel how warped it had become.

On the camera, I've been getting a crash course in using the thing from DerekB and Mike Steineke. Low light action photos with objects this small and moving this fast are close to impossible to photograph well. If you look at many of the action shots I took, I was using ISO 200 and a 1/160 sec shutter speed; for comparison, the motion-blur shots that J. Filipow took were shot using a 1/3 sec shutter (hence the cool-looking blur). The shutter speed is going to matter more than the film speed. Also, if you want to get the motion blur behind an object instead of in front of it, you'll need to use a flash that has rear-curtain sync on it, which lets the flash fire at the end of the exposure instead of at the beginning.

There are probably others who are much more qualified to talk about this stuff than I am!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Shane, You are to be comended. This is the most anyone has everdone for the Birds. You would think the largest R/C event in the world would get some major coverage? Does any one know were or if there were any pics of the Race Rock. Or were you can find the Pics?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for putting up the pictures of me trying to jump The General Lee over the pool. I am already working on doing it next year, but next year I will make it!! The car was borrowed as was all the electronics, and believe it or not, everything still works!! That is what happens when you only get 7 hours of sleep over the course or a week, then have too many beers, and then fall under the direction of a cameraman from Inside R/C!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

futureal- Congrats Editor! You did it...managing 500+ JPEGS and editing them down to the best few. Thanks for allowing me to help out, it was a blast and a few of the shots are really dope. This is probably one of my favorites, I think it was Matt's TQ 19T run in the final round. Anyway...congrats on all the work; great job!

TBat007- Shooting the 'action' part event was really difficult...not only were the conditions (indoor, low light, on road/oval) not particularly photogenic, the photographers were very limited by positions/vantage points available and camera mounted flash. The use of flash was absolutely necessary, but it needed to be aimed AWAY from the drivers stand (not to blind anyone)...the rear-curtain sync and a slow shutter speed are probably the trick to a few of my decent shots. I am also using a high-end digital 35 SLR, so I would imagine getting any of this stuff with a point and shoot digital would be pretty tough. (I am really looking forward to seeing some of Derek Buono's images in print, some of the action stuff he shot was great).
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Great job Shane!! Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you and introduce myself, but I was one of the guys sitting by Todd Putnam when we hollered "SHANE!!" to see if that was you- obviously it was!! I think the fatigue and beer kept me from getting up and saying much more...
Old 02-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

shane you da man!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Shane did a great job down there at Snowbirds. Tough enough just getting your car ready to race. Then he was using his cell phone to upload the pics. And since he was covering onroad and oval, he really wasn't given any breaks. So we all owe a big "Thank You" to Shane.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:25 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Don't even get me started on the cell modem. It really makes me realize how great it was having high speed net access at Cleveland and the Novak race!

Jason, I meant to stop and talk at some point but I was just too busy. I do remember you guys though!

J. Filipow, thanks again for the help with the photos. They were great!

FOX, if I find anyone who went to Race Rock I'll let you know. The program ran way late and a lot of people opted out. I had actually wanted to go out with some people who were hitting the town, but I could barely stand up. It was bad. haha

Thanks again everybody.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

We got to Race Rock too late, so we went across the street to TGIF's since we were all starving. The food was good and the portions were huge, and Mike Steinke paid for everybody (thanks Mike). I would have liked to have seen Brad Johnson's body inducted into the wall of fame. His body replaced Heiser's, which replaced Ernst's. So a Trackside local has won that class for 3 years running. Next year = Sobottka ?
Old 02-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Thanks again Shane

Also a huge thanks to Doug for the Scoring. You two help bring the races to a new level for the racers and all involved!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

rcthunder what up bioacth!
Old 02-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Mike, thanks again for putting on.. what is arguably.. the best race in R/C each year... 350+ days to my next exercise in sleep deprivation.

Shane, thanks for the outstanding coverage. Next year maybe we can all help out, and you can pay more attention to your racing effort.

BTW, Jpilone is updating us all on the Winternats thread in the Florida Forum, maybe he can do coverage of that event for RCTECH next year !

Nice meeting all of the RCTECH faithfull at the race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.