R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2004, 09:11 AM   #631
che
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
In touring it was all about the Parma Alfa, although there was at least one of everything everywhere. Plenty of Protoform and Losi Alfas, the Protoform Mazda 6, Losi Skodas, and of course plenty of Stratuses. But the Parma Alfa probably was the "it" body.
I would have to disagree, Protoform Alpha Qualified 1,2,3,4,5,7 and finished 1,3,5,8,9,10!! That was the body to have.

Also, the new PF Speed 12 dominated 12th mod qualifying 1,2,3,4,9 and finishing 1,3,4,6,8.

The local hobby shop at the Birds instantly sold out of the Speed12 selling over 60 bodies.
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #632
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by che
I would have to disagree, Protoform Alpha Qualified 1,2,3,4,5,7 and finished 1,3,5,8,9,10!! That was the body to have.

Also, the new PF Speed 12 dominated 12th mod qualifying 1,2,3,4,9 and finishing 1,3,4,6,8.

The local hobby shop at the Birds instantly sold out of the Speed12 selling over 60 bodies.
I think that the PF Alpha is the current dominant body for carpet-On-road, but I will offer this. Buy a Parma alpha and get it ready to run. Run 5 laps with your current body-pull in-switch bodies. Go back out.

YOu might be smiling ear to ear and hoping no-one else figures out what you now know till after the race day is done!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #633
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

rayhuang- What would your thoughts be on the Parma body and running on outdoor asphalt tracks? I know there has not been much outdoor racing, but getting ready for the season and wanted to undertand the handling of the Parma...what does the body do compared to the PF?

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:05 AM   #634
Tech Elite

Default Marshalling

What did you guys think about the marshalling ?

I liked the idea of putting drivers from the last race at certain positions, but there have to be exceptions.

There should have been a marshall during onroad at the end of the track on my end where the PVC touched the outer edge of the track. Then when there was a crash, the marshall could run out along the pipe, not jumping over the cars.

Overall the race went really well, but I few little tweaks would make it run even smoother.

If you have never raced there, go next year, you will love it.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!

Last edited by RC Scoring Pro; 02-12-2004 at 10:48 PM.
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #635
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Werner
rayhuang- What would your thoughts be on the Parma body and running on outdoor asphalt tracks? I know there has not been much outdoor racing, but getting ready for the season and wanted to undertand the handling of the Parma...what does the body do compared to the PF?

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff,

Paul and some of the others at and sponsored by Parma think its going to be killer on Asphalt because it has very even steering, a lot of it-but is easier to drive than a Stratus and X20. And differing from the PF Alpha is a feeling that the body steers evenly from corner entry to exit.

I would put it like this-you will feel more comfortable cutting tighter lines with this body-more like a 12th scale.

ON my car-pre-Birds I had an on-power push with the X20 and my set-up. The laps I took with the alpha the on-power push went away and car felt planted on exit. Look how Chicky was able to carve through traffic in his terrible qualifiers and how he worked from 9th to 2nd in the A-main. YOu need a fast AND easy to drive car to pull that off so many times!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:24 AM   #636
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb
Default Re: Marshalling

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Scoring Pro
One guy was disabled and had a cane, he was marshalling a position 2/3 of the way down the straight. So he would not be able to cross the track if he needed to.
That one guy with the cane is considering buying your software
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:55 AM   #637
Tech Apprentice

Mr. Webb I do not feel that was a put down on your part only that in a race, the caliber of the birds, you need to have quick marshalling. Allot of money is spent by drivers just to get to the birds to have it all wasted by having someone not on top of their job in the infield. I race 1/8 off-road and getting people to marshall those cars is like pulling teeth. The need to have a policy the if you just raced you must marshall the next race or you collect five seconds in your next race. The physical abilities need to be judge by the tract officials. And people know if they are not able to marshall in a quick manner most are not offended if track officials deem them not able to marshall and will either ask them to provide an alternate or get someone from the track to sub. This is only a common sense move on all tracks part and should be discussed by them.
FOX RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #638
Tech Elite

Default Marshalling

I meant no disrespect to the gentleman with the cane (or to the larger guys). I talked to him for a little while and he is a nice guy. When he took the spot, he was nice enough to tell the next marshall down that he would need some help. He had the toughest spot on the track to marshall, he would have had to run across the spot where the cars are going the fastest, right at the finish line.

I just think they need to have exceptions for marshalling, and maybe move guys around a little. Pretty tough when you need to keep the show rolling.

Keep the ideas coming, I will be talking to Mike Boylan sometime soon and I will pass along the ideas. Mike is really good at putting out fires, he is very level headed, very fair, and I was glad to see they DQ'ed a few guys to keep everybody honest.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #639
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

scoring pro i am a larger guy and understand that my abilities to get to a car is slow in comparison to a lighter person, i understand your view point and think that there should be adjustments or a turn marshal spot for the slow guys i have been a victem also of being turnmarshaled
by a slower person and it can be costly on where you qualify. its a very valid point that needs to be adressed for next year.
but i also give praise for those like me that are a wee bit slow in atleast doing there part and being a resonsable marshall
we may be slow but we will try are best not to cause someone to loose a lot of time.

another thing i normally never agree with katfish but splitting the races into four day segments should be considerd for the racers so it wouldnt be a sleep deprivation drive, also it would allow us more practice time just leaving us two comple or one complete open practice day fro like 6 or 7 am till say about 12 or 1 am. maybe this will also allow more people to rigister for both types of racing!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #640
Tech Elite

Everybody should marshall if they are able, but the tough spots need to be handled by capable guys. I saw one guy run toward the infield with 5 cars coming in oval (they had no infield marshalls at the time), he jumped and landed directly on top of one of the cars and flatened it. Done. I felt bad for everybody, especially the guy who spent all night getting that car ready.

My point was put the athletic guys in the tough spots. Just in case they need to jump, or sprint, and they are easier to see around if they get trapped in there for a while.

I have 3 really good friends who weigh over 300 lbs, so I hope nobody is taking this personally. I thought my one friend was going to make it to the NFL but he kept breaking his leg racing MotoCross.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:35 PM   #641
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The thing about splitting the race up into an on-road and an oval component is you might lose part of what makes the Snowbirds what it is. There's no other race like it anywhere. If you split it, the oval guys will take off as soon as on-road starts, or vice-versa.

I think a good schedule would be something like:

Sunday/Monday: Open practice, 12 hours each day for on-road and oval
Tuesday: On-road practice followed by club race
Wednesday: Oval practice followed by club race
Thursday: Round 1 for on-road and oval, then re-sort
Friday: Round 2 for on-road and oval, then re-sort
Saturday: Round 3 for on-road and oval, then re-sort
Sunday: Mains for on-road and oval

Most of the factory guys were arriving on the preceeding Sat/Sun anyway.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #642
Tech Regular

Default concourse comp

Anyone know who won the concourse at the Birds?
TC3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #643
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
The thing about splitting the race up into an on-road and an oval component is you might lose part of what makes the Snowbirds what it is. There's no other race like it anywhere. If you split it, the oval guys will take off as soon as on-road starts, or vice-versa.

I think a good schedule would be something like:

Sunday/Monday: Open practice, 12 hours each day for on-road and oval
Tuesday: On-road practice followed by club race
Wednesday: Oval practice followed by club race
Thursday: Round 1 for on-road and oval, then re-sort
Friday: Round 2 for on-road and oval, then re-sort
Saturday: Round 3 for on-road and oval, then re-sort
Sunday: Mains for on-road and oval

Most of the factory guys were arriving on the preceeding Sat/Sun anyway.
Id rather it be somethin like 8 hours Sunday and Monday. People gotta sleep ya know!
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #644
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb
Default Re: Marshalling

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Scoring Pro
I meant no disrespect to the gentleman with the cane (or to the larger guys). I talked to him for a little while and he is a nice guy. When he took the spot, he was nice enough to tell the next marshall down that he would need some help. He had the toughest spot on the track to marshall, he would have had to run across the spot where the cars are going the fastest, right at the finish line.

I just think they need to have exceptions for marshalling, and maybe move guys around a little. Pretty tough when you need to keep the show rolling.

Keep the ideas coming, I will be talking to Mike Boylan sometime soon and I will pass along the ideas. Mike is really good at putting out fires, he is very level headed, very fair, and I was glad to see they DQ'ed a few guys to keep everybody honest.
It was a joke guys . I am friends with him and I called him and we laughed for about 5 min about it. He was also the same guy that RC Scoring Pro was talking about being the slower guy in the 19turn class with Paul L
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #645
Tech Elite

LeMieux is pretty incredible. He is 19 years old, and won Mod at Snowbirds when he was 17. I hope he wins a World Championship some day.

And hey - he races out of Trackside, a 7 minute drive for me. Kind of cool to have a fast guy to watch at the local track.

Sobottka may be next!