Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
problem with tc3 bearings >

problem with tc3 bearings

problem with tc3 bearings

Old 02-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default problem with tc3 bearings

I am having a problem with the bearings in my ft tc3. After I ran the car a few times the bearings in the block carriers got really grainy and eventually locked up completely so I replaced them. And after I raced the car a few times they did the same thing. I sprayed them out and re-oiled them after every couple runs but they still went bad. I race in the stock class on carpet at my local track and we use foams. Thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Nothing much you can do about damaged bearings. Every time you hit a board you will place a tremendous amound of load on those bearings which is why they fail. You can try removing the shields and spray it out. Its also best not to spray out your bearings if you want them to last. The bearings will last longer with the original grease in them.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I got a set of the RC4Less.com ceramics in my TC3 and have run it about 10 weekends on carpet with foams in 19 turn sedan and all the bearings till feel like brand new and roll forever!! Kinda high but will be the last bearings you buy for a long long time!!

ea
Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You are not alone micro speed - had same problem with the original equipment bearings too - only the 3/16 by 3/8 in my car, the large bearings have been ok. Tried to clean them but no success. Replaced with a cheap duratrax set and and lap times went way down and they are still free and smooth after several months of carpet racing.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

the bearings in my ftTC3 lasted a couple seasons, i recently replaced them with middle-of-the-road Acer bearings, i have been very pleased with them so far
Old 02-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Regional Moderator

micro.

The statement about hitting boards is correct. This seems to be the foremost reason for premature bearing failure. Everytime you hit something, the balls in the bearing make a small dent in the bearing surfaces. Of course, make sure you have good oil them as this will also cause problems. Additionally, check when you clean them out to see if there are any carpet fibers stuck in the the ball race. Nylon is a notoriously hard and abrasive polymer.

To give you an idea how abrasive it is, we use ultrasonic slitters(basically a very powerful tweeter) with a surface hardness of 63c rockwell hardness to cut through nylon fabric. we have to rotate the horn to a new section every 4 hours or so because the nylon cuts a groove.

If you are picking up a lot of fuzz on your cvd's, chances are it is getting in the bearing. If it is, clean more frequently.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

How do you guys treat the rubber shielded bearing that are included with the Factory Team kit? I've never before used this type of bearing in anything and I'm not really sure what the best way to run and maintain them is?

doug
Old 02-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Doug,

The bearings are teflon seals. What I do is take off the inner seal for all the bearings, spray them out good with motor spray and/or put them in the Integy sonic cleaner thing I have for one hour. Then I put some light bearing oil in them (1 to 2 drops of ACER SIN lube, my preference). Make sure you put the exposed side on the inside of the hubs/diff cases.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

hey guys does Acer have a web site, like to try these bearings i keep hearing good things about them. if not who sells them,, thanks in advance.

BIGDON
Old 02-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

www.acerracing.com
Old 02-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
Doug,

The bearings are teflon seals. What I do is take off the inner seal for all the bearings, spray them out good with motor spray and/or put them in the Integy sonic cleaner thing I have for one hour. Then I put some light bearing oil in them (1 to 2 drops of ACER SIN lube, my preference). Make sure you put the exposed side on the inside of the hubs/diff cases.
BRIAN,

correct me if im wrong, but did you say put the exposed side on the inside of the hubs? so this means that you do not put both seals on your bearings? im fairly new at cleaning bearings and im trying to discover what's the best metho of cleaning them.

another query, can i use the rinity bearing oil on my bearings? tanx a lot.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by evaa
BRIAN,

correct me if im wrong, but did you say put the exposed side on the inside of the hubs? so this means that you do not put both seals on your bearings? im fairly new at cleaning bearings and im trying to discover what's the best metho of cleaning them.

another query, can i use the rinity bearing oil on my bearings? tanx a lot.
Yah you take one of the shields off so they run more free. Of course it's not always the best idea to expose the bearings so you put the side without the shield on the inside so it has less exposure.

i use trinity royal oil, seem to work well.