R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default The New PPD workstation

Just picked up the new PPD tweak plate/workstation, looks awesome and the little clamp things are pretty trick. I'll post a couple pictures later when I get home.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hopefully mine arrives today. Can't wait to try it out.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Got mine today. Very nice. I already made some mods though. I unscrewed the top plate and put the cap screws back into the stand. I can then work with just the top plate which makes it easier to get to the screws on the bottom. I flip it around to check the tweak (seems easier without the beveled edge). Then I can just place it back on the stand and its locked into place by the cap screws. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Got mine today. Very nice. I already made some mods though. I unscrewed the top plate and put the cap screws back into the stand. I can then work with just the top plate which makes it easier to get to the screws on the bottom. I flip it around to check the tweak (seems easier without the beveled edge). Then I can just place it back on the stand and its locked into place by the cap screws. Thanks!
That didn't take long.
So I understand this, how is it easier to get to screws with plate off? Do you have stubby drivers and have to get your hand inside the back opening? With a standard length driver the access in back was designed to clear your hand (and still provide a good working hieght and store drivers), so the screws and hand should have open access.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
That didn't take long.
So I understand this, how is it easier to get to screws with plate off? Do you have stubby drivers and have to get your hand inside the back opening? With a standard length driver the access in back was designed to clear your hand (and still provide a good working hieght and store drivers), so the screws and hand should have open access.
Its works fine the way it comes. Its just lighter and easier to move around as just the single plate. Plus you dont have to take the drawer out or any of the drivers. Just lift the top plate and have at it. Can keep the stand on my desk. Plus using the non-beveled side makes it easier to see the tweak from the side.

For what its worth Im using it with a Corally Phi. All bulkheads screws on the bottom are visible.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Also, the clamps are great! I got the 1 inch because I figured they should work for any future car.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Its works fine the way it comes. Its just lighter and easier to move around as just the single plate. Plus you dont have to take the drawer out or any of the drivers. Just lift the top plate and have at it. Can keep the stand on my desk. Plus using the non-beveled side makes it easier to see the tweak from the side.

For what its worth Im using it with a Corally Phi. All bulkheads screws on the bottom are visible.
Thats good to know. The screws are plenty deep to take off and on repeatedly, just dont overtighten as stated in instructions since its fairly soft plastic in the risers.

I will add the Corally Phi to the confirmed fit list.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't seem to have a camera worth a crap or the proper lighting, my pics don't do the station justice. google or find a link to the web site or am i allowed to post it, ppd with the regular start and ending.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
I don't seem to have a camera worth a crap or the proper lighting, my pics don't do the station justice. google or find a link to the web site or am i allowed to post it, ppd with the regular start and ending.
I was told by moderators that as a business rep I cannot post pics or links that are intended to sell a product. That is the reason the original thread was removed, they are cracking down on this. As users and potential users asking questions, general discussion, opinions, posting links and pics is still allowed as long as they are not affiliated with that company as I understand it. So since you are not, and you are a customer you are allowed.

That said...taking pics of billet can be tough. It flashes back at you and using no flash often doesn't turn out well. No problem, there are plenty of pics on our website, and others are beginning to receive theirs as well.

Last edited by Verndog; 08-31-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
You could come over to my place and we could give it a "photo shoot". Then you could bring mine too! lol

K
Kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I just received my today. Kevin you did a great job designing this setup plate!

Last edited by RSTECH; 09-01-2009 at 06:11 PM.
RSTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
I was told by moderators that as a business rep I cannot post pics or links that are intended to sell a product. That is the reason the original thread was removed, they are cracking down on this. As users and potential users asking questions, general discussion, opinions, posting links and pics is still allowed as long as they are not affiliated with that company as I understand it. So since you are not, and you are a customer you are allowed.

That said...taking pics of billet can be tough. It flashes back at you and using no flash often doesn't turn out well. No problem, there are plenty of pics on our website, and others are beginning to receive theirs as well.
Id be happy to do a photoshoot on one in exchange for being able to keep 2.

Can anybody explain exactly what this will do for me over my typical setup station? (besides being able to carry the car around load free).

Cpt.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Here's one picture of the PPD Plate.
Attached Thumbnails
The New PPD workstation-final.jpg  
RSTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTECH View Post
I just received my today. Kevin you did a great job designing this setup plate!
Thank you. One thing I noticed about hanging horizontally on the wall loaded with TC and drivers. It works best if you use 2 long finish nails (no heads) for hangers. Angle the head end "up" a bit to keep it sitting against wall. Works great that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Id be happy to do a photoshoot on one in exchange for being able to keep 2.

Can anybody explain exactly what this will do for me over my typical setup station? (besides being able to carry the car around load free).

Cpt.
You only want 2 huh?
I'll pass on the offer, I have plenty of good pics on the website of all views.

The main advantage is it checks and helps eliminate chassis tweak. Laying the chassis onto a flat plate, and by pressing the 4 corners of the TC you will quickly spot a tweak issue that can be caused by hard impact, miss aligned assembly, bent bulheads, or even a warped chassis. Once tweak is spotted, now the tool helps eliminate it. You loosen the bulheads and top deck about 1 turn, clamp down flat at corners, then re tighten everything back from bottom to top (from the back side of tool) to reset chassis and suspension back to flat and square.

Often times people wonder why their shock collars aren't even to get ride height, or droop screws aren't the same...and often the cause is chassis tweak.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
You only want 2 huh?
I'll pass on the offer, I have plenty of good pics on the website of all views.
Have it your way

Quote:
The main advantage is it checks and helps eliminate chassis tweak. Laying the chassis onto a flat plate, and by pressing the 4 corners of the TC you will quickly spot a tweak issue that can be caused by hard impact, miss aligned assembly, bent bulheads, or even a warped chassis. Once tweak is spotted, now the tool helps eliminate it. You loosen the bulheads and top deck about 1 turn, clamp down flat at corners, then re tighten everything back from bottom to top (from the back side of tool) to reset chassis and suspension back to flat and square.

Often times people wonder why their shock collars aren't even to get ride height, or droop screws aren't the same...and often the cause is chassis tweak.
Awesome... is there one for an 009?
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote