R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 AM   #1201
Tech Master

New GEN Xi car from CRC.

There's a new thread just for that very car on here.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #1202
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waswadener View Post
I'm new to the Gen XL family and am getting my car ready for my first 1/12th scale race in a week or so.

I'm placing the electronics that can be moved around (Smartboost, Tekin RS, SR3500 and MRT PTX). No matter where I put the electronics, the best left-right weight balance I can get is a 25 g difference between the left and right wheels (left side being heavier).

Is the 25 g difference in lateral weight distribution big enough that it's anything to worry about? If so, I'm not sure how to achieve perfect lateral balance because the heaviest components (motor and battery) can't be moved laterally.

After fiddling with electronics placement for about two hours now, I'm beginning to think my 25 g difference in lateral balance is as close as I'm going to get. I'm tempted to servo-tape the stuff in the location that gives me the best (although not perfect) lateral balance, go drive the race and see how the car handles.

Thoughts?
Are you using 2 scales, if so does the measurement change if you reverse the car?

i balance with pins so i don't have a number but i think i get really close without ballast. the newer batteries are lighter on the post end. i put the battery post end towards the servo side then add the tekin on the opposite side as close to the shock mount as i can, then move the receiver to balance.

i don't know if it is the problem, but that 'smartboost' seems a little big and heavy. i use a hobbyking booster which is the $5 version of the $35 TQ booster
Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #1203
Tech Regular

Just got into 12th scale after racing tourers for 15 years

Picked myself up a crc xl, is there anything that I need to get from the standard kit to make it competitive?
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #1204
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
Just got into 12th scale after racing tourers for 15 years

Picked myself up a crc xl, is there anything that I need to get from the standard kit to make it competitive?
other then tires, the kit is good outta the box
Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #1205
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jonnydb Send a message via Skype™ to Jonnydb

im trying to buy one, if someone has selling please send a pm

thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #1206
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i got my eyes on this car and i know the xi is on the way but i like sales... lol are there any hop ups needed from the get go? going to run 17.5 blinky... thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #1207
Tech Master

Curious as to what holes on the body mount posts are used for mounting the body (especially the Protoform AMR, using 42mm tires).
How low should the body be mounted?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #1208
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three View Post
Curious as to what holes on the body mount posts are used for mounting the body (especially the Protoform AMR, using 42mm tires).
You want the body as low as possible without dragging on the carpet. Most clubs use a 3mm rule for the lowest point on the car, including the body.

A good way to mount the body is to put the car on blocks, and play with the body posts until the body is sitting flat, and the trim line is at the same height as the chassis. (I always trim my body before I paint it, so I can see what I am doing. )

I also tend to slope the bottom front of the body alittle (so the corners are just a touch higher then the center of the body). So they dont drag when entering a corner.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #1209
Regional Moderator

Alternately, mount the body so that it doesn't interfere with anything under the body, then take a standard Sharpie and roll it around the flat surface that the car is on with the tip contacting the body. Cut the body on the line.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #1210
Tech Master

Yes, I understand. But.... what I would like to know is what hole on the body post do people use front and rear. Three up from the bottom of the post?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #1211
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, I understand. But.... what I would like to know is what hole on the body post do people use front and rear. Three up from the bottom of the post?
There is no standard answer to your question because the size of your tires can influence the correct height to mount the body. Specifically, larger front tires require more body height to allow for upward travel of the wheels/tires as the suspension moves.

If there is a reference line on the sides of the body, I tend to mount the body level in relation to those lines. The sharpie method works great for providing clearance during hard cornering.

And, quite often, I drill additional holes in the front/rear body posts to optimize my body heights on pan cars. And/or, I use spacers under the body posts to add a tad of height.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #1212
Tech Master

Quote:
WOW, it seemed like an easy question. Let me try to reword it. How much of a gap should be left between the body and tires (front and rear).
The reason I'm asking is that one hole makes the body look like a 4x4, the next one down is very close to the tires/rear pod. Thanks for the replies, just looking for examples as to clearance.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #1213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What do you guys use to clean your tires between runs to keep the rubber from building up when running on carpet?
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #1214
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
WOW, it seemed like an easy question. Let me try to reword it. How much of a gap should be left between the body and tires (front and rear).
The reason I'm asking is that one hole makes the body look like a 4x4, the next one down is very close to the tires/rear pod. Thanks for the replies, just looking for examples as to clearance.
Mine is 1/8th to 3/16ths of an inch. I have also been cutting the entire portion behind the rear wheel lately. Supposedly I will lose rear grip with it cut, but I havnt had another car give me a body tuck in a long time.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #1215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
What do you guys use to clean your tires between runs to keep the rubber from building up when running on carpet?
Lighter fluid.