Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #1171
Tech Initiate

like it!!!
millertimepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #1172
Tech Regular

Another newbe with more of questions!

Just about to race 1/12th (10.5 blinky) for the first time with a CRC XL

Speedo is black diamond, savox servo, sanwa RX 451.

Whats best, a 6v life RX battery into reciever, a 7.4 lipo and attach to pins 4&5 of DB or run a booster from +&- of DB to RX ?

What 10.5 motor works well with BD. and should I get high RPM or high torque (anyone tried corally pro red)

I dont yet have a tyre truer but I do own an engineering lathe, is it possible to cut foams on that, if so what type of tool works best, what finish do I need on the tyre.

Bb

Last edited by bucketboy; 09-30-2011 at 01:06 PM.
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #1173
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Is it a good idea to put some grease between the front caster block and the A-arm pin? I was assembling mine and it seemed that without a little Associated Green Slime the retainer plate had to be way too loose to allow the arm free movement.

Also, does CRC make a dedicated thrust bearing for their diff or is the Slapmaster unit the part to use?
IMHO the inner hinge pin should not rotate between the cap and the castor block. The upper arm should rotate freely about the hinge pin, just like on a sedan. I work a 2mm drill bit through the upper arm slowly and test fit the hinge pin until it slides through the arm holes perfectly. I also use the AE 12r5 castor clips as I found them faster to adjust castor with and the perfect thickness to remove the binding I sometimes got with the nylon shims that come in the kit.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #1174
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys

I have been let down on a car i was hoping to get for the winter , any one got a CRC GenXL for sale ???? and willing to ship to Holland ??

I would like something with some spares and long arm conversion (if i am to choose) haha

Thanks Phil
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #1175
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
Hey guys

I have been let down on a car i was hoping to get for the winter , any one got a CRC GenXL for sale ???? and willing to ship to Holland ??

I would like something with some spares and long arm conversion (if i am to choose) haha

Thanks Phil
If you want to buy new email [email protected], they are the UK CRC distributor. Or you can Google their web site. Wim is really nice and also originates from the Netherlands, so communication won't be an issue!

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #1176
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Best to ask at your club what people are using, then measure you tyres and use the chart in the link above this post to get the actual gearing you require.

The only problem though, is getting the correct size spur gear in the first place. The reason I mention that, is that I usually use a 88t spur gear, and with the quite small diameter tyres which will mean using quite a large pinion (between 40 and 42) to get the correct overall gearing I need for 10.5 blinky.

The 'hot ticket' at the moment is to try and get the motor as close to the centre pivot as you can which means using a bigger spur, and then a bigger pinion to get the gearing the same as it was with the smaller spur (hope that makes sense mate!)

All makes to the fun of racing 12th cars!!

Cheers.
Ok I get this but my concern is a starting point for my gearing. I've never run on-road before and I find the whole roll-out calculations confusing.

I plan on running a 42.5mm tires in the rear and I'm running 13.5 boosted on a track with 100' straightaway.

Where do I start?

What is my target roll-out?

I don't want to melt anything my first time out there!

Once I start running laps I'll be able to fine-tune everything but I don't where to start!

Serpent America l Desoto Racing l Pro-Line l Picco l Arrowmax l TQ Wire
Weazsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #1177
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazsel View Post
Ok I get this but my concern is a starting point for my gearing. I've never run on-road before and I find the whole roll-out calculations confusing.

I plan on running a 42.5mm tires in the rear and I'm running 13.5 boosted on a track with 100' straightaway.

Where do I start?

What is my target roll-out?

I don't want to melt anything my first time out there!

Once I start running laps I'll be able to fine-tune everything but I don't where to start!
And that's what I mean mate. There's so many veriables that the best bet is to ask the guys that already run at your track/club.

Is there a hairpin corner leading onto the straight or is there a sweeper going onto the straight?

And even if no=one is going to help you, you'll know within a few laps if the car is totally over or undergeared.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #1178
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
And that's what I mean mate. There's so many veriables that the best bet is to ask the guys that already run at your track/club.

Is there a hairpin corner leading onto the straight or is there a sweeper going onto the straight?

And even if no=one is going to help you, you'll know within a few laps if the car is totally over or undergeared.
I appreciate the help. My home tracks opening day is this Sunday, I don't really have anyone to ask that's why I'm turning to this thread.

I see what you mean about so many variables, I did two calculations from two different 13.5 set-ups and there was a big difference in rollout for each.

I don't know what's after the straight.

Serpent America l Desoto Racing l Pro-Line l Picco l Arrowmax l TQ Wire
Weazsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #1179
Tech Master

Yeah, no worries mate. We usually run a winter series at the same venue that we hold one of the national races in, but change the layout each time, so gearing changes, not a great deal, but enough to make you change a pinion or 2!

Cheers buddy.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #1180
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Very fast CRC car

Awesome track and driver
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #1181
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

new to gen xl. what motor and battery and tires do you guys perfer to use?

also around what roll out is good for this car?

does the crc 16 diff ball spur works good? it said it reduce weight but i dont know how it works

had a blast driving it few nights ago and hoping to spend some time and money into this little thing

Last edited by littlealex; 10-03-2011 at 12:54 AM.
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #1182
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlealex View Post
had a blast driving it few nights ago and hoping to spend some time and money into this little thing
Probably should tell us what class you plan on racing
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #1183
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

oops. my bad.
i m running stock 17.5 boosted

Last edited by littlealex; 10-03-2011 at 10:04 AM.
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #1184
Tech Adept

Really depends on track size for rollout but for a medium sized track I was rolling out about 88mm when running boosted 17.5. It was one of the fastest cars on the track but motor soon gets hot so need to watch your temps. I would get the smallest spur you can find and that will make pinion choice easier. I found a 48dp 58T spur and was running 46mm foams with a 35 pinion.

I then did a bit of mod but now do 10.5 blinky with a 1s rotor and its great.
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #1185
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlealex View Post

does the crc 16 diff ball spur works good? it said it reduce weight but i dont know how it works

My typical starting point for boosted 17.5 is a 3.2" rollout (90' x 40' track) and adjust boost and turbo depending on motor temp.

I use CRC magenta fronts and magenta rears.

CRC/Power push battery with a Trinity D3 based tuned motor by Team Scream.

I haven't tried the new spurs yet, still running the same diff from last season..lol..