R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #1096
Tech Master
 
Kenny L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,267
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

From my understanding its to make the car easier to drive. Which I've been always told a car that's easy to drive isn't fast. So take that for what it's worth that's just what I've been always told
__________________
Team Tekin, Ko Propo America
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #1097
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

In my opinion its just something different so people are all over it. Unless you can move all the weight down the middle like a WGT car, which is impossible on a 12th scale due to space without major design changes, it's not going to make a difference.

In this configuration you might as well be running a t-plate car.

Kenny L is right, a easier car to drive is a slower car.

We'll see how these new inline battery cars play out with the pros at big races this year. My guess is they won't make a difference or will be slower.


Some ideas for the next gen CRC 12th that could make a difference;
- Lipo chassis with more forward battery mounting options (no slots for round cells)
- Longer Shock (helps with #1)
- Wheel base, longer shorter option
- Full piece rear pod top plate to help prevent lower pod plate from tweaking (somewhat available today)
- New rear axle ride height adjustment design (make the car easier to work on and lower parts count to carry around)
- Front end updates (CRC has the best and easiest to adjust front end I've seen to date but I'm sure there's some innovative changes that could be made to make the car faster. Not sure what, but this could be a good place for people to throw out some ideas which CRC could try experimenting with and determine which produce the best performance)
-Track width (has a narrower or wider (based on ROAR rules) been tried?)
-Others welcomed???????


These are the types of things that will make the car perform better not turning the battery sideways.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #1098
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,800
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
In my opinion its just something different so people are all over it. Unless you can move all the weight down the middle like a WGT car, which is impossible on a 12th scale due to space without major design changes, it's not going to make a difference.

In this configuration you might as well be running a t-plate car.

Kenny L is right, a easier car to drive is a slower car.

We'll see how these new inline battery cars play out with the pros at big races this year. My guess is they won't make a difference or will be slower.


Some ideas for the next gen CRC 12th that could make a difference;
- Lipo chassis with more forward battery mounting options (no slots for round cells)
- Longer Shock (helps with #1)
- Wheel base, longer shorter option
- Full piece rear pod top plate to help prevent lower pod plate from tweaking (somewhat available today)
- New rear axle ride height adjustment design (make the car easier to work on and lower parts count to carry around)
- Front end updates (CRC has the best and easiest to adjust front end I've seen to date but I'm sure there's some innovative changes that could be made to make the car faster. Not sure what, but this could be a good place for people to throw out some ideas which CRC could try experimenting with and determine which produce the best performance)
-Track width (has a narrower or wider (based on ROAR rules) been tried?)
-Others welcomed???????


These are the types of things that will make the car perform better not turning the battery sideways.
How do you know the Kenny is right ...he has being told !
Kenny never said the car does drive slow...I know changing the lipo or batteries postition will effect the handling of the car..just like you said ( hoping ,more adjustment forward batteries postition..Just my two cent..
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #1099
Tech Elite
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,299
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
In my opinion its just something different so people are all over it. Unless you can move all the weight down the middle like a WGT car, which is impossible on a 12th scale due to space without major design changes, it's not going to make a difference.

In this configuration you might as well be running a t-plate car.

Kenny L is right, a easier car to drive is a slower car.

We'll see how these new inline battery cars play out with the pros at big races this year. My guess is they won't make a difference or will be slower.


Some ideas for the next gen CRC 12th that could make a difference;
- Lipo chassis with more forward battery mounting options (no slots for round cells)
- Longer Shock (helps with #1)
- Wheel base, longer shorter option
- Full piece rear pod top plate to help prevent lower pod plate from tweaking (somewhat available today)
- New rear axle ride height adjustment design (make the car easier to work on and lower parts count to carry around)
- Front end updates (CRC has the best and easiest to adjust front end I've seen to date but I'm sure there's some innovative changes that could be made to make the car faster. Not sure what, but this could be a good place for people to throw out some ideas which CRC could try experimenting with and determine which produce the best performance)
-Track width (has a narrower or wider (based on ROAR rules) been tried?)
-Others welcomed???????


These are the types of things that will make the car perform better not turning the battery sideways.
Do you not see how much weight turning the battery sideways moves and your saying it won't make a difference I believe you are very wrong on that. I'm not sure what it will do but moving that much weight around has to do something. And I'm sure if crc would have come out with it first you would have bought one.
__________________
Ryan Borgheiinck
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #1100
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 701
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Max K
Default

More weight up front would mellow the front out a lot. Less weight transfer and greater load on the tires (depending on how much is being loaded already). Most of these changes were made to calm down an already too aggressive car.

If you have tried the different positions for the battery on a standard car. the forward position makes the car pushy and easy to drive. If you move the battery back then the car is twitchy and loose. Lipo and the weight of the cars have changed setup dramatically. I used to run a super stiff rear end with a soft front end. Now its exactly the opposite. So I would imagine it will change how the new cars are going to be designed.
__________________
RC America - XRAY - HUDY - Trinity - ORCA - Sanwa - ULTI - PROTOform - MaxFX - Slapmaster Tools - ApexRC - SXT
Max K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #1101
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max K View Post
More weight up front would mellow the front out a lot. Less weight transfer and greater load on the tires (depending on how much is being loaded already). Most of these changes were made to calm down an already too aggressive car.

If you have tried the different positions for the battery on a standard car. the forward position makes the car pushy and easy to drive. If you move the battery back then the car is twitchy and loose. Lipo and the weight of the cars have changed setup dramatically. I used to run a super stiff rear end with a soft front end. Now its exactly the opposite. So I would imagine it will change how the new cars are going to be designed.
+1
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #1102
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Do you not see how much weight turning the battery sideways moves and your saying it won't make a difference I believe you are very wrong on that. I'm not sure what it will do but moving that much weight around has to do something. And I'm sure if crc would have come out with it first you would have bought one.

We'll see what happens. At this point I'm not a believer in these new design. As some have pointed out, how is moving the battery forward going to make the car faster if it takes away steering????
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #1103
Tech Master
 
wingman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tewkesbury, UK via Plymouth, UK.
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
In my opinion its just something different so people are all over it. Unless you can move all the weight down the middle like a WGT car, which is impossible on a 12th scale due to space without major design changes, it's not going to make a difference.

In this configuration you might as well be running a t-plate car.

Kenny L is right, a easier car to drive is a slower car.

We'll see how these new inline battery cars play out with the pros at big races this year. My guess is they won't make a difference or will be slower.


Some ideas for the next gen CRC 12th that could make a difference;
- Lipo chassis with more forward battery mounting options (no slots for round cells)
- Longer Shock (helps with #1)
- Wheel base, longer shorter option
- Full piece rear pod top plate to help prevent lower pod plate from tweaking (somewhat available today)
- New rear axle ride height adjustment design (make the car easier to work on and lower parts count to carry around)
- Front end updates (CRC has the best and easiest to adjust front end I've seen to date but I'm sure there's some innovative changes that could be made to make the car faster. Not sure what, but this could be a good place for people to throw out some ideas which CRC could try experimenting with and determine which produce the best performance)
-Track width (has a narrower or wider (based on ROAR rules) been tried?)
-Others welcomed???????


These are the types of things that will make the car perform better not turning the battery sideways.
My thoughts exactly. Here are some pics of the 10.5 blinky chassis I have designed.

Battery in rear position:



Mid position:



Forward position:



Solid chassis (no cell cut outs):



One piece cross brace and 4 hole top plate:



Due to the slower speeds of 10.5 blinky, the geometry is the same as the original Gen-XL, however, my mod car will basically be the same except longer and wider at the front (plus a new crossbrace that will hold the battery in place for down the length positioning).
__________________
Sponsored by CML Distribution - http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #1104
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
We'll see what happens. At this point I'm not a believer in these new design. As some have pointed out, how is moving the battery forward going to make the car faster if it takes away steering????
In some cases, it can make a car faster. I've found an XL with a forward mounted battery generally has a bit more high-speed, on-power steering, (think sweeper), but has reduced off-power steering, and mid-corner rotation because of the reduced weight transfer. A rear battery car "throws" the weight forward more under deceleration, and throws it back more when powering out of the corner. The forward mounted battery tends to smooth the car out, but not necessarily slow it down.

I also think the inline layout is less about forward weight than it is about lower polar moment. In order to hook-up in mod, some brands of chassis had to resort to softer roll-rates, which made them lazy in switchback type corners. By bringing all the electronics closer to the center line, the lateral weight transfer is reduced, and lessens chassis roll. This allows for a softer side to side set-up without the excessive weight transfer, and thus a more stable, faster car.

IMHO, The XL doesn't really need an in line chassis because we have the ability to centralize the electronics behind the servo. So in theory, our should have already had a lower polar moment than other cars depending on how the electronics are installed.
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #1105
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max K View Post
More weight up front would mellow the front out a lot. Less weight transfer and greater load on the tires (depending on how much is being loaded already). Most of these changes were made to calm down an already too aggressive car.

If you have tried the different positions for the battery on a standard car. the forward position makes the car pushy and easy to drive. If you move the battery back then the car is twitchy and loose. Lipo and the weight of the cars have changed setup dramatically. I used to run a super stiff rear end with a soft front end. Now its exactly the opposite. So I would imagine it will change how the new cars are going to be designed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
We'll see what happens. At this point I'm not a believer in these new design. As some have pointed out, how is moving the battery forward going to make the car faster if it takes away steering????
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
In some cases, it can make a car faster. I've found an XL with a forward mounted battery generally has a bit more high-speed, on-power steering, (think sweeper), but has reduced off-power steering, and mid-corner rotation because of the reduced weight transfer. A rear battery car "throws" the weight forward more under deceleration, and throws it back more when powering out of the corner. The forward mounted battery tends to smooth the car out, but not necessarily slow it down.

I also think the inline layout is less about forward weight than it is about lower polar moment. In order to hook-up in mod, some brands of chassis had to resort to softer roll-rates, which made them lazy in switchback type corners. By bringing all the electronics closer to the center line, the lateral weight transfer is reduced, and lessens chassis roll. This allows for a softer side to side set-up without the excessive weight transfer, and thus a more stable, faster car.

IMHO, The XL doesn't really need an in line chassis because we have the ability to centralize the electronics behind the servo. So in theory, our should have already had a lower polar moment than other cars depending on how the electronics are installed.

I did a lot of testing with the battery in the middle of the car and trying to move it forward on the the Xray. Comparing my xray to the CRC car with the CRC battery in the forward position where most guys run it now the CRC car was WAY more balanced front to rear. The Xray car with the batteries forward was 30 grams lighter on each front tire than the CRC car. This is the reason that the Xray has always been so aggressive. It didnt seem to matter how far forward I moved it all the way up to the shock mount I could never get it anywhere close to the weight ration of the CRC. After moving the battery to the center and balancing the car out the Xray now weighs within 3 grams of the CRC car on 4 scales. It handles WAY better too. I am not at all saying its as good as a CRC car but what I am saying is CRC has the car figured out from the start and the weight ratio front to rear is already right to make the car carry extreme corner speed.

On super high bite tracks its all about finding balance of corner speed but still being able to drive the car consistently the whole run without loosing front or rear grip. If its not balanced it may start good and finish horrible. This is what we always had issues with. I guess we shall find out in Vegas if the center setup is right or not for us!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #1106
Tech Master
 
Kenny L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,267
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

So who on the team is going to Vegas?
__________________
Team Tekin, Ko Propo America
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #1107
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L View Post
So who on the team is going to Vegas?
I'm headed that way along with my son, 12th for me and WGT for both my son and I.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #1108
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

I'm there with my CRC's in three pan car classes. Is Dumper still running his boot camp?
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #1109
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 701
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Max K
Default

i'll be there!
__________________
RC America - XRAY - HUDY - Trinity - ORCA - Sanwa - ULTI - PROTOform - MaxFX - Slapmaster Tools - ApexRC - SXT
Max K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #1110
Tech Elite
 
al dente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 5280 Raceway. Denver's finest RC facility
Posts: 4,765
Default

im there. hey kenny, gimmie a call when you get a chance.
__________________
Team CRC / Dumper's Speed Shop / Team Scream Racing / Black Art
RC America / FB/FX / Colorado On Road RC Club
5280 Raceway (5280raceway.com) home of the MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22, 2018
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRC GEN X, REV 5, AND CUSTOM PAINTED 1/12 BODY FOR SALE ALBERTO R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 40 12-23-2008 08:21 PM
!!!!! CRC Gen-X, Novak GTB, Etc, Etc !!!!!! omaha_racing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 31 02-04-2008 03:47 PM
---CRC Gen X w/ Parts and Extras!!!--- AChupp2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 10-25-2007 01:07 PM
TEAM CRC GEN-X GENERATION X patrick R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-29-2007 12:15 AM
CRC Gen-X 1/12 w/ TONS of NIB Spares Anthony.L R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 23 04-13-2007 09:48 PM
CRC Gen X - Complete roller - almost new! Team Speed R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 04-11-2007 02:41 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:23 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net