R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #1021
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Has anyone else noticed that their bellville washer, spacer and diff nut bottom out with the new 16 ball 3/32 diff set up? I am assuming it is caused by the thinner stack created by the use of smaller diameter balls... Anyone found a quality workaround or fix? I have a random 1/4" id shim between my belllville and spacer collar, but am looking for something a little more reliable. I am not certain the shim won't float around and cause inconsistent diff action because there is very little CF axle shaft extending past the spacer collar.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #1022
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Has anyone else noticed that their bellville washer, spacer and diff nut bottom out with the new 16 ball 3/32 diff set up? I am assuming it is caused by the thinner stack created by the use of smaller diameter balls... Anyone found a quality workaround or fix? I have a random 1/4" id shim between my belllville and spacer collar, but am looking for something a little more reliable. I am not certain the shim won't float around and cause inconsistent diff action because there is very little CF axle shaft extending past the spacer collar.
Andrew,

Give a shout to Brian Bodine at Slapmaster Tools for one of his fantastic Slapmaster thrust bearing assemblies. Brian already has a workaround for the issue. No bellville washer setup for me...

You should remember Brian B winning two pan car classes at the IIC last year...But, who is counting?

And I love the 16 ball spurs.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #1023
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

This is actually an old problem. For my pan without a thrust bearing, you can put acouple of washers before the cone to take up the extra space. This will prevent the nut from bottoming out. I didnt have any washers that fit on the axle properly,so I put on between the nut, and the bevile washer, and it works fine too.

If you want a thrust washer, buy the serpent 120 one, it fits the car perfectly, and you can have it installed for $10.

Shawn
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #1024
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Even with the old spurs, I run two bellville washers in a )( configuration. It allows for a finer adjustment since you now have the spring action of two washers.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #1025
Tech Elite

Definitely good advice, but just for clarity, I don't think a second bellville will improve this condition. Adding a brass, .5 mm thick, narrow OD shim between the outer bearing and the red spacer has solved the problem. Simple and efficient. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #1026
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Slapmaster thrust bearing is a must have. I have them on both my GenX cars, and it makes diff adjustments a no-brainer.

Can someone suggest the latest and greatest body style for 13.5 ramping on carpet?

Thanks,
Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #1027
Tech Elite

I'm partial to the AMR-12 or the Bomb-R
Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #1028
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm partial to the AMR-12 or the Bomb-R
Good. Thank you.
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #1029
Tech Champion

I do like the CRC AMR-12 as my favorite lightweight body.

Otherwise, the old Parma Speed 8 is a most durable standard weight (.030) body at about 25-30 grams heavier.

Bill

Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #1030
Tech Champion

I do like the CRC AMR-12 as my favorite lightweight (.020) body.

Otherwise, the old Parma Speed 8 is a most durable standard weight (.030) body at about 25-30 grams heavier.

Bill

Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #1031
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to 12th scale

Going to be picking up my 1st 12th scale kit and would like to know what additional spare parts/hop ups I should get for the Gen-XL? Planning on running 13.5 non-boosted on indoor asphalt track.

springs?
oil/lubes?
shims?
spur/pinions?
tr1kstanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #1032
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a Gen X 10 and the quality is over the top. The precision of the parts, the fit and finish, and the finished product is so good I haven't even thought of upgrades yet. My kit came with several shims for the front and rear ride height adjusters but I think they have additional thicknesses if you need them. I haven't really had time to put the car though it's paces but I think that different tweak springs, steering blocks, and a number of spur, pinion combos are all good things to have on hand. The only hop ups so far are Lunsford Ti Rods with RPM ball cups and Robinson spurs and pinions.
Steve. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #1033
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default New GenXL for sale

Anyone looking for a car?

Great deal on a 1 month old car
Old 07-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #1034
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Barneys Racing Send a message via AIM to Barneys Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1kstanc3 View Post
Going to be picking up my 1st 12th scale kit and would like to know what additional spare parts/hop ups I should get for the Gen-XL? Planning on running 13.5 non-boosted on indoor asphalt track.

springs?
oil/lubes?
shims?
spur/pinions?
front wheel bearings
diff and axle bearings
steering blocks
kingpins
links
front springs
tweak springs
upgrade to aluminum left pod plate
tires, tires, and more tires

have a spare of just about all of the front end parts i.e. arms, steering blocks, axles, etc.
something like 30,000 diff lube for king pins (even heavier adds a damping effect to the king pin)

ask someone at your track what gearing they're running and start there. also ask them what they're putting on the damper tubes and what shock oil they have in. ask what tweak springs and center shock spring work best for your track.

that's some of the stuff that i keep around. hope that helps.
Barneys Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #1035
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1kstanc3 View Post

springs?
oil/lubes?
shims?
spur/pinions?
Check out Fred Hubbard's car that is for sale above. Fred maintains super nice cars.

Bill