R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #841
Tech Addict
 
rcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Somewhere In Time
Posts: 611
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Second Andrew. Work the front end plastic pieces to get rid of any binding. Also do not overtighten the plastic trailing arms. Polishing the kingpins also helps.
rcko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #842
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 190
Default

Just saw this piece over on the CRC 1/10 Pan thread.http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7718944

Has anyone used this on their GenXL? If already using the Long Arm setup would it lead to the minimum camber gain possible on the Pro-Strut FE?

On the CRC website - I just realized we only have 1 GenXL setup from 2010 and 3 from 2009 to refer to? Any other 2010 team setups available? After seeing how many drivers on the 1/10th WGT car are using this "raised" hinge pin setup, I'm just curious if any team drivers are using it on the GenXL this season?
__________________
Dude, Go RRReally FFFast - When something gets in your way - Turrrnn
VRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #843
Tech Master
 
TVMRocket69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lancaster Pa.
Posts: 1,902
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TVMRocket69 Send a message via Yahoo to TVMRocket69
Default

Hello all. Is there a new chassis comming out for the GenXL?
__________________
Bob Walker Jr.-Sponsor's-
AnswerUSA-RC Team Driver, G's R/C Raceway Team Driver, RBMods Team Driver, Kosmic R/C Fuel Team Driver, MurfDogg Motorworks Team Driver, Serpent S811B, Serpent S811t, MurfDogg Powered V-Desizn Carpet Ripper 5
TVMRocket69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #844
Tech Master
 
CanyonCarverR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,340
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Caster blocks

What are the effects of the different caster blocks(0,5,10)?
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #845
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
What are the effects of the different caster blocks(0,5,10)?

More caster will make the car re-act quicker and give more steering coming into a corner. By using the castor blocks, the caster will decrease as the suspension compresses, thus, removing caster. It will take steering away from the front end, allowing the rear to hook up better, and prevent your car from spinning out on corner exit.

Or so thats the way I understand it.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #846
sg1
Tech Elite
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,067
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default CRC Gen-XL set-up

Hey guys,
I thought I'd post some pics and the set up I used at the US Indoorchamps.
This set up TQ'ed and won the A main masters

Front:
1.61" magenta, sidewall glued
2 shims on axle to space wheel out
10* castor blocks
stock upper a-arms
.50mm springs with .005" droop
20,000 lube on kingpins
servo flat
3 3/4mm clearance

rear:
1.66" magenta, seam glued
max. width
white side springs, .01" off of bottom plate
20,000 side tube lube
25wt. oil with red spring
1mm droop
4 1/4mm clearance

If you have any questions or comments let me know

New Team CRC Gen-XL-100_0162.jpg

New Team CRC Gen-XL-100_0163.jpg
__________________
**Team Scream**Parma/PSE**TQ Wire**Roche**Pemberton**BSR**Graupner/GM**SXT**
sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #847
Tech Master
 
WIITA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,590
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
Hey guys,
I thought I'd post some pics and the set up I used at the US Indoorchamps.
This set up TQ'ed and won the A main masters

Front:
1.61" magenta, sidewall glued
2 shims on axle to space wheel out
10* castor blocks
stock upper a-arms
.50mm springs with .005" droop
20,000 lube on kingpins
servo flat
3 3/4mm clearance

rear:
1.66" magenta, seam glued
max. width
white side springs, .01" off of bottom plate
20,000 side tube lube
25wt. oil with red spring
1mm droop
4 1/4mm clearance

If you have any questions or comments let me know

Attachment 675369

Attachment 675370
Thanks for posting your setup. Just out of curiosity what is the best way to tweak you can when having the springs .01 off the bottom plate? Do you use a shim while tweaking or some other method. Also, I see you ran magenta over yellow or gray lows. How did they feel on such high traction? Did they free the rear up or plant it more? Finally, Was the red center spring the new red spring or the old stiffer one? Thanks again!!!!
__________________
Team CRC / Sanwa / Team scream / Genesis RC / Hobbywing / TQ Wire / Schelle / MIP / RC^2 / TEKNO / BoomRC
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #848
sg1
Tech Elite
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,067
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
Thanks for posting your setup. Just out of curiosity what is the best way to tweak you can when having the springs .01 off the bottom plate? Do you use a shim while tweaking or some other method. Also, I see you ran magenta over yellow or gray lows. How did they feel on such high traction? Did they free the rear up or plant it more? Finally, Was the red center spring the new red spring or the old stiffer one? Thanks again!!!!
I use scales on the front tires to make sure the chassis is balanced, no tweeking then Make sure you take the side tubes off, motor wires and sensor cable need to be off, and back off the side springs. I just look at the L to R weight on the front tires then move my electronics around till the front tires are equal. I have an aluminum spacer that goes under the rear tires to lift them up to the same height as the front.

When all is good I set the car on a flat surface and bring the springs down. I slide a header card (or something approx. .01" thick) under them and let the spring just kiss it, then stop. Then I'll set the rear of the car up on a Niftech tweek bar and see how much the rear pod returns when I push each rear tire down. I'll watch to see how far the bubble is off center each way and fine tune the springs so they're equal. At no time will the bubble center while doing this, the springs are off the bottom plate and won't let the rear pod center.

The red center spring was an old spring (Assoc.)

The magenta rears helped with side traction and seemed to have more forward bite. My car was good with purple fronts and yellow rears, but it "slid" on the carpet in some turns. I changed to magenta fronts and had too much front bite and started to square off. My last change was to magenta rears, which was the perfect balance with the magenta fronts.
__________________
**Team Scream**Parma/PSE**TQ Wire**Roche**Pemberton**BSR**Graupner/GM**SXT**
sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #849
Tech Master
 
Buckaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,503
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
Hey guys,
I thought I'd post some pics and the set up I used at the US Indoorchamps.
This set up TQ'ed and won the A main masters

Front:
1.61" magenta, sidewall glued
2 shims on axle to space wheel out
10* castor blocks
stock upper a-arms
.50mm springs with .005" droop
20,000 lube on kingpins
servo flat
3 3/4mm clearance

rear:
1.66" magenta, seam glued
max. width
white side springs, .01" off of bottom plate
20,000 side tube lube
25wt. oil with red spring
1mm droop
4 1/4mm clearance

If you have any questions or comments let me know

Attachment 675369

Attachment 675370
What RX battery pack are you using?
__________________
Tom Keith

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #850
sg1
Tech Elite
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,067
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
What RX battery pack are you using?
It's a Team Scream 7.4v lipo 120mah
__________________
**Team Scream**Parma/PSE**TQ Wire**Roche**Pemberton**BSR**Graupner/GM**SXT**
sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #851
Tech Adept
 
kaddillac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 111
Default chassis

can someone with chassis knowledge explain to me what difference the short link bars on my genx and the long ones on the xl would be in handling

and also what would be the difference in a thick chassis and a normal thickness chassis on carpet?

And the right person reads this could i get calandra to make me a new chassis to my spec special order?
kaddillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #852
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaddillac View Post
can someone with chassis knowledge explain to me what difference the short link bars on my genx and the long ones on the xl would be in handling

and also what would be the difference in a thick chassis and a normal thickness chassis on carpet?

And the right person reads this could i get calandra to make me a new chassis to my spec special order?
I'm not 100% sure what it does to the car physically, but I THINK the short links produce more "rear steer"... almost like 4 wheel steering in a way. It's very slight. The longer links help minimize the effect of the car wanting to come out of line from the centerline of the chassis.

On the track... The longer links make for a more stable and consistent car overall. I ran the old Gen X before the longer links, and I must say I really like the Gen XL with longer links. Much easier to drive.

Stiffer chassis will feel a little more responsive. It will be more consistent in higher grip conditions, and generaly provide better corner speed when the rest of the car is setup correctly. Softer chassis's work good in lower grip conditions and help make the setup window a little bigger. The car can become a little funky to drive when the grip is really high though. It will feel make the car feel somewhat numb to setup changes.

-Korey
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #853
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
I'm not 100% sure what it does to the car physically, but I THINK the short links produce more "rear steer"... almost like 4 wheel steering in a way. It's very slight. The longer links help minimize the effect of the car wanting to come out of line from the centerline of the chassis.

On the track... The longer links make for a more stable and consistent car overall. I ran the old Gen X before the longer links, and I must say I really like the Gen XL with longer links. Much easier to drive.

-Korey

As long as the balls at the end of the links are at the same height (which should be the same height of the pivot ball in the football), then the links will not produce a rear-steer effect.
What does happen though, is as the angle of the link increases (as the front of the chassis rolls), the link effectively becomes shorter. Since it is happening on both sides of the chassis at the same time, to the same angle, it causes a bind in the suspension.
The longer links minimize this effect because they will have less angle for the same amount of chassis role.

Definately use the longer links. :-)

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #854
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
As long as the balls at the end of the links are at the same height (which should be the same height of the pivot ball in the football), then the links will not produce a rear-steer effect.
What does happen though, is as the angle of the link increases (as the front of the chassis rolls), the link effectively becomes shorter. Since it is happening on both sides of the chassis at the same time, to the same angle, it causes a bind in the suspension.
The longer links minimize this effect because they will have less angle for the same amount of chassis role.

Definately use the longer links. :-)

Shawn.
Hence why I said I think :P Thanks! I learned something today!

-Korey
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #855
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 190
Default Gen XL Setup

Wayne,

Thanks for putting up some new 2010 setup info for us! Congrats on winning your class!

Noticed your flat mount servo position? In the past that has not been a setup promoted by Frank, but to each his own? I'm fairly sure that Brian Bodine runs this servo setup as well and has for quite some time. Could you give us a quick overview of what types of handling or driveability a club driver may benefit by experimenting with this setup over the standard angle mount? Getting the "correct" tie-rod angles is key, no?

Thanks!
__________________
Dude, Go RRReally FFFast - When something gets in your way - Turrrnn
VRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRC GEN X, REV 5, AND CUSTOM PAINTED 1/12 BODY FOR SALE ALBERTO R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 40 12-23-2008 08:21 PM
!!!!! CRC Gen-X, Novak GTB, Etc, Etc !!!!!! omaha_racing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 31 02-04-2008 03:47 PM
---CRC Gen X w/ Parts and Extras!!!--- AChupp2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 10-25-2007 01:07 PM
TEAM CRC GEN-X GENERATION X patrick R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-29-2007 12:15 AM
CRC Gen-X 1/12 w/ TONS of NIB Spares Anthony.L R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 23 04-13-2007 09:48 PM
CRC Gen X - Complete roller - almost new! Team Speed R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 04-11-2007 02:41 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:09 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net