R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #421
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
Hey guys. Wondering if crc makes front ride height spacers that are 2.5 or 2. I see the car comes with 3,4,5. Looking to start the tires at 41mm and if I do it will only give me 1 run per set. Any help would be great. Thanks!
With the same size tires on my car, i have about 3.5 mm of ride height and I still have a ride height adjustment shim or two under my front end. You must have more sag in your front end, meaning your kingpins are backed out more than mine. Nobody makes anything less than 3mm spacers for the car as far as I know, but I saw somebody mention using the 2mm graphite brace for the front end under the front arms in place of the plastic ones. That would get you the ride height you need.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
I was pitting opposite Elliott Harper last weekend at the Tamworth round of the UK 12th nationals. He was having his first time out with the Gen-XL. He finished 3rd in stock (10.5) and 4th in open modified which he was pretty happy with considering the car hadn't turned a wheel before Saturday morning and he was a little short of some things. Also pretty good with an unknown car considering the opposition included Andy Moore, Andy Griffiths and Olly Jeffries.

He was getting a handle on the car pretty quickly and ended up using a setup very similar to but not quite the same (as he told me) to Hupos at the IIC. Grip from the carpet is usually a little lower in the UK compared to the USA, hence the differences. He ended up saying it was the best 12th car he'd ever driven!

The only option parts I could see that he was using were the carbon front brace, long arms, pin brace and metal left pod side.

Trev
Thanks for the update Trev. The car doesn't need a ton in the way of hop-ups. The long-arm is a nice option to have in your arsenal, but other than that everything else is mostly cosmetic.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #423
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfirsching View Post
With the same size tires on my car, i have about 3.5 mm of ride height and I still have a ride height adjustment shim or two under my front end. You must have more sag in your front end, meaning your kingpins are backed out more than mine. Nobody makes anything less than 3mm spacers for the car as far as I know, but I saw somebody mention using the 2mm graphite brace for the front end under the front arms in place of the plastic ones. That would get you the ride height you need.
Ok, I will take a look at my kingpins and see what's going on there. Thanks for the info!! One other question, if I add some pre load to the front springs by screwing in the kingpin, will that calm the car down or make the car more agressive? Thanks again!

Last edited by WIITA; 12-17-2009 at 06:42 AM.
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #424
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

just posted my CRC for sale...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...rc-gen-xl.html
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #425
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
Ok, I will take a look at my kingpins and see what's going on there. Thanks for the info!! One other question, if I add some pre load to the front springs by screwing in the kingpin, will that calm the car down or make the car more agressive? Thanks again!
I like to have some droop in the front end. Usually my front end has about a 1mm gap between the steering block and the lower arm pivot ball when the car is race ready.

I think that having some droop in the front end makes the car slightly less sensitive around center, but more overall steering through the corner. If you are running on a track with a real fast chicane, too much droop may make the car transition too slowly and make it difficult to drive through the chicane. If you have no droop at all, I think the car becomes twitchy and difficult to drive (although fast through high speed chicanes) in some parts of the track, but loses steering in high speed turns and tight corners. Like I said, I run mine with about a 1mm gap because I feel it is a good balance for most layouts.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 AM   #426
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
...I think that having some droop in the front end makes the car slightly less sensitive around center...
I've never understood the meaning of "around center", "off center", etc. Could someone please give definitions of these things?
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #427
Tech Master

Quote:
I like to have some droop in the front end. Usually my front end has about a 1mm gap between the steering block and the lower arm pivot ball when the car is race ready...
So, would this be equivalent to having -1 mm of front spring preload?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #428
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Spike View Post
I've never understood the meaning of "around center", "off center", etc. Could someone please give definitions of these things?
When you turn the wheel on your radio, the very first reaction from your car is what I was referring to. When people talk about a car that is too sensitive or aggressive around center, it means that the car is making more of a turn than you want it to with the first tiny bit of radio input.

Quote:
So, would this be equivalent to having -1 mm of front spring preload?
No. What I meant by race ready is - battery, motor, everything is in the car, the car is tweaked flat and you are ready to hit the track for a qualifier. Then you set the car on any flat surface and get down eye level with the front end. Observe the gap between the steering block and the lower arm. On my car it is about 1mm. If you set -1mm of front spring preload, your car would set down into the springs when it is setting on the wheels and that would probably turn into more like 3mm of front end droop.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #429
Tech Master

Quote:
When you turn the wheel on your radio, the very first reaction from your car is what I was referring to. When people talk about a car that is too sensitive or aggressive around center, it means that the car is making more of a turn than you want it to with the first tiny bit of radio input.
So, you can compensate for adverse sensitivity around center by adjusting the steering exponential on the radio. Got it.

Quote:
...What I meant by race ready is - battery, motor, everything is in the car, the car is tweaked flat and you are ready to hit the track for a qualifier. Then you set the car on any flat surface and get down eye level with the front end. Observe the gap between the steering block and the lower arm. On my car it is about 1mm. If you set -1mm of front spring preload, your car would set down into the springs when it is setting on the wheels and that would probably turn into more like 3mm of front end droop.
Noticed on CRC setup sheets from Brian Wynn and Hugo Honigl that they set the king pin length to .404" at the IIC, measured from the bottom of the steering block. Setting it that way, there is no gap getween the arm and the steering block when the car is "race ready"...at least that's what I see on my Gen-XL.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #430
Tech Initiate

I run my kingpins at .405, about the same, with .45 front springs and get a small amount of sag. Lipo batteries have made the car lighter so it sets into the springs less than it used to.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #431
Tech Master

Quote:
I run my kingpins at .405, about the same, with .45 front springs and get a small amount of sag. Lipo batteries have made the car lighter so it sets into the springs less than it used to.
Geez, what am I gonna do? .403? .404? .405? .406? Tough decision...
Old 12-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #432
Tech Regular

Quote:
Geez, what am I gonna do? .403? .404? .405? .406? Tough decision...
Well just for reference then, running LiPo I set mine at .404, .50 springs, .010 shim on kingpin between E clip and spring, gives me about .010 sag. Feels just about right for me but I'll have to admit I'm no CRC expert yet!

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #433
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10

PDX-S.
I would not really worry about shim or no shim under the front kingpin. Screw the kingpin in all the way to a snug fit (don't over tight). Then measure to make sure they are the same size. Next Run without shim and then run with shim. See which one feels best to you.
Grab a baseline setup and then try different things like shims, preload, ride height and differ springs. Every car will have a slight different characteristic so don't stick with just what works for that person.

Good luck
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #434
Tech Apprentice

[/QUOTE]Noticed on CRC setup sheets from Brian Wynn and Hugo Honigl that they set the king pin length to .404" at the IIC, measured from the bottom of the steering block. Setting it that way, there is no gap getween the arm and the steering block when the car is "race ready"...at least that's what I see on my Gen-XL.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.[/QUOTE]

Is the measurement from the bottom of the king pin or from the groove where the e clip connects to? Thanks!!
windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #435
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

[/QUOTE]Is the measurement from the bottom of the king pin or from the groove where the e clip connects to? Thanks!![/QUOTE]

The groove.