R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
The name made me think electric 1/8th scale pan car. But this is pretty cool.
When i saw the name i immediatly thought they designed a propper 235mm pancar with a wide pod. Hence the name XL
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like a nice update to a great car.

Now if only there was a carpet track on Long Island.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Any chance of getting the converision kit for the IIC in Vegas?
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hmmmmm
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

$190 is a great price! Interesting that the link has gone full circle and is long once again like on older versions of the carpet knife.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
$190 is a great price! Interesting that the link has gone full circle and is long once again like on older versions of the carpet knife.
If you look closely, the GenXL actually looks as if it might be a little cheaper to produce than the GenX. The older car's pretty red aluminum standoffs are gone and the new ones look like molded plastic. The molded center pivot football is probably easier to make than a machined graphite one. Same can be said for the left side pod plate. Only the new shock looks like it might (emphasize might) be a tad more expensive than the old one. Anyway, if nylon parts work as good or better, weigh less, and cost less to produce than machined aluminum or graphite........we all win. Sure is a nice price for a fully developed car. Judging by the agressive pricing, CRC seems intent on making sure that a very high percentage of the cars at the big events are still CRC rides just as they've been for the last several years. Judging by the look (and the price) of their newest release, their strategy is likely to work. For sure the genX worked great, and the new one is sure to be even a tick better. So good on them. Steady development of the product is good for the customer, especially if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
If you look closely, the GenXL actually looks as if it might be a little cheaper to produce than the GenX. The older car's pretty red aluminum standoffs are gone and the new ones look like molded plastic. The molded center pivot football is probably easier to make than a machined graphite one. Same can be said for the left side pod plate. Only the new shock looks like it might (emphasize might) be a tad more expensive than the old one. Anyway, if nylon parts work as good or better, weigh less, and cost less to produce than machined aluminum or graphite........we all win. Sure is a nice price for a fully developed car. Judging by the agressive pricing, CRC seems intent on making sure that a very high percentage of the cars at the big events are still CRC rides just as they've been for the last several years. Judging by the look (and the price) of their newest release, their strategy is likely to work. For sure the genX worked great, and the new one is sure to be even a tick better. So good on them. Steady development of the product is good for the customer, especially if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the kind words Perry.

The Gen-XL has been a work in progress for some time. Some of the parts were trickling in during last season in prototype form. Here at our test track at CRC Raceway, we have been testing the micro left pod and the clamping links for quite awhile In fact, the one piece clamping links have been on the CAD system for over 2 years. We showed the Encore shock at Vegas last year, we improved the design in prototype form until it was right on the money. Now it is available a year later.

Back in 2006, the Gen-X re-defined 1:12th scale and this solid platform has stood the test of time. Last season, with merely some optional rear pod parts, we had a fantastic season, winning and T.Q.ing the IIC and the 2009 Euro's. We also won Cleveland and the ROAR Nationals and had an impressive podium finish at the Worlds in Thailand.

What we were after with the Gen-XL is to freshen the solid platform of the Gen-X, make the car more affordable and easier to build and maintain. While the Gen_X would accept the new lipos, the XL is really built for the new cells and the larger brushless speedos. We also wanted to give our loyal Gen-X owners the ability to upgrade to the current specs just by adding a few parts rather than releasing a totally new car. We did the same with our Carpet Knife 3.x version. The original 3.0 released in 1997, could be upgraded to the 3.2R that took second at the 2006 Worlds in Italy. This also helps dealers who stock the parts for the car, many of them can keep much of their stock on the wall as it is compatible with the new release.

On the new XL, the molded cell positioning pieces, molded "football" center pivot and new molded standoffs perform better than their machined counterparts and are very affordable to produce. This helps us get the price of a competiton 1:12th car back in line. We actually have molded a plastic laydown servo mount, but after extensive testing, we feel the servo up position is a better performing system, so we went with aluminum upright servo mounts for the XL. However, for those that wish to put the servo down, we have new plastic mounts that utilize the stock servo holes. We will have them on the site soon.

For those who must have the aluminum parts, we already have the aluminum left bulkhead in stock and ready to ship. This part comes stock on our oval car and fits right on the XL. The hour-glass red aluminum standoffs off the Gen-X are available for those who want an added dose of bling bling.

The new shock is excellent and builds very easy. The hardened steel shaft resists bending in heavy crashes. The bladder design is smooth and stays consistant race after race.

We are also very proud to design, manufacture and kit the car right here in the USA with racers having a hand in every step. The test track is 40 feet from the CNC machines with the CAD system another 50 feet from that. With the test track on site holding weekly club races, we can give new parts to novice racers to get their input on how it builds, how it works and yes, how durable it is. Of course, in the old days, our best crash dummy was young Myles Hale. We would give him new prototype parts for the ultimate durability tests. Well, last year Myles lost that job as he is simply getting too fast and too good to be our crash dummy. He went on to win the Northeast Grandslam stock title, although even with that title, Myles can still be counted on for some serious durability testing (whamo). All kidding aside, the test track and club racers give us a ton of real world data that helps us improve the product.

Thanks again for the kind words and we can't wait to get the car shipped out and in the racer's hands.

Frank
Team CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to fatboy

hi frank,

is it available on your online store... beside direct ordering from crc online, where could we purchase the new kit....

Thanks

fatboy
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
hi frank,

is it available on your online store... beside direct ordering from crc online, where could we purchase the new kit....

Thanks

fatboy
Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

It's not quite ready for sale yet, you can backorder it on the online store.

Your hobby store/race track will be able to get it from Horizon Hobby when it is available later this month. I also imagine online shops will have it as well. I would try the local store or race track first, it's always beneficial to support them.

Thanks,
Frank
Team CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Frank,

You have a PM

Thanks
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to fatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team CRC View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

It's not quite ready for sale yet, you can backorder it on the online store.

Your hobby store/race track will be able to get it from Horizon Hobby when it is available later this month. I also imagine online shops will have it as well. I would try the local store or race track first, it's always beneficial to support them.

Thanks,
Frank
thanks frank, will check out later this month
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

he he he shock and chassis building tonight!!!!!! and I can put my big kimbro arm back on!!!!
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Hey Frank, if you're looking for a new crash test dummy, I'm your man!
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #29
Tech Adept

I was wondering if anyone knows of any cool conversions for the 3.2r. I have put my brushless motor in and it sits about as low as i think it could go could someone help me with a link to where i could maybe find some things lilke this
Tulsa TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa TC3 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of any cool conversions for the 3.2r. I have put my brushless motor in and it sits about as low as i think it could go could someone help me with a link to where i could maybe find some things lilke this
Are you talking about lowered pods? The part that is lowered is the axle, not the motor. A lowered pod will let you run really small tires. I think theres a convertion to drop the genx pod on there but dont hold me to it.

HTH
DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote