R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #181
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
For lipo, the plastic stand-offs locate the batt from side to side, and the plastic football locates the back (assuming battery in back position). Mine can move only a very slight amount, and it doesn't seem to be anything you can notice.

Some folks use a wrap of battery tape to further secure the position.
thanks for the info. i am in need of greater than average security!

Last edited by avs; 10-23-2009 at 06:04 PM.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Hey guys just put my XL together! I will be running 13.5 BL motor, 1C lipo on a med track. I want to know what pinion and spur range I should buy? I know my roll out should start out at 90-95mm as a start. Thanks for the help

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #183
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BLKNOTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64 View Post
Hey guys just put my XL together! I will be running 13.5 BL motor, 1C lipo on a med track. I want to know what pinion and spur range I should buy? I know my roll out should start out at 90-95mm as a start. Thanks for the help
For the moment I have been running a 74 tooth spur with 40-41 tooth pinion with 46mm tires which has me maintaining my rollout close to 80. Food for thought I am running on a very small tight track. I am also running my car with the Tekin RS with the v200 firmware and Redline 13.5 motor.

Best thing will be to talk with some of the other racers at your track to see what the norm is for rollout and start in that ballpark and adjust from there.

Another idea would be to goto Gearchart.com and throw in the numbers and see what you come up with for gearing to maintain your rollout of 90mm.

Hope this helps.

Sean
Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #184
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Source for #3281 side links

Does anyone have a source for part #3281 XL one-piece clamp links?

Thanks,
Carter
darcydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #185
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hey guys. Anyone have any super dialed mod setups that they want to share? Figured somebody has to be running mod with this car. I can only find one on the CRC web site. Thanks kindly!!
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)

I have a NIB GEN XL in the forsale forum if anyone is interested.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #187
KJR
Tech Rookie

Default Gen Xl Handling Problem

I recently bought a CRC GEN XL and I am having a problem with the car that I have been unable to solve.

The car is almost impossible to consistently drive in a straight line and any slight knock makes the problem a lot worse. I have checked the obvious and the servo and servo saver are fine and there is nothing obviously loose.

I did notice that the car was very difficult to tweak correctly and I wonder if this may be the problem. If I set both side springs so that they are touching the chassis then the chassis will lift the front left wheel first and drop the back right corner of the chassis significantly. Iím describing this looking at the car from the front, back right corner opposite the diff. In order to correct this I have to screw the back right spring around 1mm further in. Once this is done if the car is picked up the rear pod is not level compared to the chassis due to the increased pressure from this spring.

Do you think this may be causing my problem ? Is this normal for this car and if not could you suggest where you think the problem may lie ?

The car does this consistently straight out of the box regardless of a motor or electronics being installed, damper tubes connected and with alternative springs fitted.

Thanks
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #188
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
I recently bought a CRC GEN XL and I am having a problem with the car that I have been unable to solve.

The car is almost impossible to consistently drive in a straight line and any slight knock makes the problem a lot worse. I have checked the obvious and the servo and servo saver are fine and there is nothing obviously loose.

I did notice that the car was very difficult to tweak correctly and I wonder if this may be the problem. If I set both side springs so that they are touching the chassis then the chassis will lift the front left wheel first and drop the back right corner of the chassis significantly. Iím describing this looking at the car from the front, back right corner opposite the diff. In order to correct this I have to screw the back right spring around 1mm further in. Once this is done if the car is picked up the rear pod is not level compared to the chassis due to the increased pressure from this spring.

Do you think this may be causing my problem ? Is this normal for this car and if not could you suggest where you think the problem may lie ?

The car does this consistently straight out of the box regardless of a motor or electronics being installed, damper tubes connected and with alternative springs fitted.

Thanks
Check for stiction in the pivot ball. If this moves freely without the slightest click, make sure wires don't cause binding. I removed my side plates and measured the aluminum standoff then set the spring to one ml. longer to give me some preload on spring on each side.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #189
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH View Post
...Another idea would be to goto Gearchart.com and throw in the numbers and see what you come up with for gearing to maintain your rollout of 90mm.

Hope this helps.

Sean
I checked the setup for Brian Wynn at the IIC. He was running 41.6mm tires with a 76 spur and a 49 pinion. That's a rollout of 82.03.

Could you explain why the 90mm rollout?
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #190
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
I have a question about how the servo is mounted. The kit comes with brackets to mount the servo at an angle so the steering links angle up, from the servo saver toward the wheels. I've also seen pictures with the servo flat and the servo saver turned over and the steering links flat toward the wheels.

My question is, what is the difference in handling between these two setups?
From the Gen-XL Tuning Guide:

"Bump-in (front of the front tires toe-inward under suspension compression) will result in less off-power steeering and running too much bump-in can make the steering feel very inconsistent. This effect is obtained by mounting the servo flat on the chassis with the servo saver pointing upward. This method is NOT recommended. Testing has shown that running the kit setup offers the most consistent performance, but adding bump-out in some instances can have positive results."

On the other hand, I have seen many 1/12th Associated cars that have good results with the servo mounted flat.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #191
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BLKNOTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Spike View Post
I checked the setup for Brian Wynn at the IIC. He was running 41.6mm tires with a 76 spur and a 49 pinion. That's a rollout of 82.03.

Could you explain why the 90mm rollout?
Sorry I mistyped as I was meaning to put 80.00 rollout, I have been messing with everything from around 78-82 for rollout but the one thing I think I have been overlooking that is a solid point you have brought up is wheel size. I am certin that with the smaller tires the rolling mass is lower and thus more accel and speed. Much more testing to be done.

Sean
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #192
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

looking for a little help

with the gen-x to the gen-xl move this year i have the car acting as i would like it but i have one problem that i can not get rid off.

if there is a s or switch back section i can not get the car to make the second part it seems to go tight to the point i am waiting for it.

3.5 front
44 tires black jaco
1/2 to 1/4 traction action( no smell allowed)
50 springs
sure lube 1 king
1 mm front droop
long arm
2 washers back
angle servo
3.5 mid
battery back
rs esc
red center with 30 losi
red side 1/4 turn then tweak
4.0 rear
46 tires gray jaco
172 width
1.5 pod droop
17.5 express
speed 12b?
missed???
problem all the way through the run getting worse as the run goes
DriftDreamer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #193
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH View Post
Sorry I mistyped as I was meaning to put 80.00 rollout, I have been messing with everything from around 78-82 for rollout but the one thing I think I have been overlooking that is a solid point you have brought up is wheel size. I am certin that with the smaller tires the rolling mass is lower and thus more accel and speed. Much more testing to be done.

Sean
The car performs really well on small tires. I just hate having to cut new rears to get to 42mm or so. Gets too expensive. I usually cut the rears to 44mm and the fronts to 43mm.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #194
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've been told the Long arm makes the car a little "lazy", try the short arm setup?
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #195
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Anyone know what weight the CRC tube lubes actually are?
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote