R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
- If you just need repeatable setting results for your own car, a gauge that measures up to the lowest point on your suspension will work just fine.
No, because they are apples and oranges and dont measure the same thing. Here is an example I always use. Lets set up an imaginary car like the following:

Ride height 5mm
Downstop setting (difference between chassis and arms, adjsuted with the screws in the suspension arms) 6mm (a downstop setting of 6)
Droop 2mm (how far the car lifts before the tires come off the ground

Now, without changing anything else, tighten your shock collars ALL the way down so the are as tight as they go, which would MAX out your ride height. Lets say that makes your ride height 7mm. You would end up with the following:

Right height 7mm
Downstop setting 6mm
Droop 0

So droop, and what you are changing with the grub screws in the suspension arms of the car, are two completely different things.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
Tech Master

My downstop IS my droop. If it isn't then the supension is binding somewhere and thats no good. On my car, downstop minus ride height = droop. So from my thinking, downstop and droop ain't exactly apples and oranges. They're closely related.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
No, because they are apples and oranges and dont measure the same thing. Here is an example I always use. Lets set up an imaginary car like the following:

Ride height 5mm
Downstop setting (difference between chassis and arms, adjsuted with the screws in the suspension arms) 6mm (a downstop setting of 6)
Droop 2mm (how far the car lifts before the tires come off the ground

Now, without changing anything else, tighten your shock collars ALL the way down so the are as tight as they go, which would MAX out your ride height. Lets say that makes your ride height 7mm. You would end up with the following:

Right height 7mm
Downstop setting 6mm
Droop 0

So droop, and what you are changing with the grub screws in the suspension arms of the car, are two completely different things.
I see what your saying, but in my head it seems it's only an issue with foam tire racing where your always adjusting ride height to keep up with changing tire diameter?

I run rubber tires and always run the same ride height front & rear and I always start with the same "down-stop" setting. No need to know what the "droop" is unless I need to compare my setup with someone else with a different car.

At times I forget about foam tire racing (I never tried it)...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #19
Tech Addict

cpt.America is completely right.Downstop and droop are two different things,closely related but not the same as they don't measure the same thing.