Search

Charging problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Charging problem!!

I have a strange charging situation to for anyone who can help:

I have 2 6-cell packs of 2/3 A size cells. They are 1000mAh NiMh. I am planning to use them for micro racing, but can not seem to charge them.

When I attempt to charge them on my T30, here’s what happens: The Pack voltage rockets up to almost 12 volts, then begins to drop immediately. As a result, they never peak- even with the lockout turned on and up to a .1 voltage drop back setting.

The charger almost never ramps up to the set Amp charge setting, either. I’ve tried these cells at 2A and 3A but it always starts under 1A- sometimes as low as .8A. It slowly climbs up but never makes it to that setting before it stops.

The cells are getting hot, though- not enough that you can’t hold, but certainly very warm. I have even tried 3 peaks, but it still false peaks and kicks off almost immediately after the lockout time is up.

And yes, the charger works just fine on all other packs (sub-C)

Can anyone help me? My M18 is all show and no go right now!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Checking the packs to ensure the cells are assembled correctly (+ to -) would be the first thing I would do. Also make sure you have good connections in the pack, nothing that could be causing excessive resistance.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Whats the peak detection set at? Set that higher and try that.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Charging problem!!

Originally posted by BadSign
I have a strange charging situation to for anyone who can help:

I have 2 6-cell packs of 2/3 A size cells. They are 1000mAh NiMh. I am planning to use them for micro racing, but can not seem to charge them.

When I attempt to charge them on my T30, here’s what happens: The Pack voltage rockets up to almost 12 volts, then begins to drop immediately. As a result, they never peak- even with the lockout turned on and up to a .1 voltage drop back setting.

The charger almost never ramps up to the set Amp charge setting, either. I’ve tried these cells at 2A and 3A but it always starts under 1A- sometimes as low as .8A. It slowly climbs up but never makes it to that setting before it stops.

The cells are getting hot, though- not enough that you can’t hold, but certainly very warm. I have even tried 3 peaks, but it still false peaks and kicks off almost immediately after the lockout time is up.

And yes, the charger works just fine on all other packs (sub-C)

Can anyone help me? My M18 is all show and no go right now!

Well, i cant really give u any exact information but what i had experience before is that for such battery size, we cant charge them at high amps. Try slow charging them. Maybe it can help...
Old 01-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, I believe the amps are way too high. It might depend on the quality of the actual cells, but usually, you shouldn't go any higher than 1 amp. Maybe one or two of the cells are already dead, causing even more strange behavior.