Which Lipos??

Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Which Lipos??

I am thinking of making a switch to Lipos ... i know, i came from the mountains..

I did a search and found that there so many brands out there. So which brand of Lipos are recommend??

Also do they really need to be balanced? I found that my charger, Pulsar 3 can do lipos but does not balance. Instead of pouring out cash to get another charger, is there like a plug in balancer for the Pulsar 3?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Fantom and SMC are at the top of my list. Yes, anything more then one cell and you should really balance it. You can pick up a check Checkpoint balancer for fairly cheap. They are a separate unit you attach with the existing charger.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

What is the application that the lipo will be run in? If you are doing 1/10 touring or 1/12th the you will want of the hard case type lipos that are available. You cant go wrong with any of the brand names (SMC/Thunder Power/IP/Reedy) The application is important as not all lipos will fit in all cars due to their design.

For racing you will most likely be looking at packs that are rated 35c+.

I consider the balancer a important part of the LIPO process. Same as having the individual cell discharger systems for NIMH. Depending on what type of batteries you get you can get inline balancers that will balance and charge your pack at the same time, or you can get a separate balancer to keep your cells in sync. Your cells may not need to be balanced every time but when they need it you don't want to be without it as that has the potential to be dangerous.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by INTRIGUED
Fantom and SMC are at the top of my list.
+1 on the fantom lipos. Just got my first fantom lipo and its going great
Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How about Orions? They are expensive are they?

So a checkpoint balancer is good enough to be used with present lipo charger?

Thanks for all the inputs!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Orions are good batteries. They do not have as much punch as some of the other brands. The Checkpoint balancer will work with you charger you have to make sure that the plugs for balancing are the bullet type (Orion/Checkpoint) and not the Hyperion or Thunder power type. If it is the later type you will have to get an adapter for the balancer plug for your batter type. I believe that common sense rc makes an adapter that would work.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

This is where good lipos should have a label with relevant info on it.
While most, if not all branded lipos are good we have found that for stock classes, batteries with lower internal resistance give more punch.
In mod it doesnt make much of a difference but in stock classes it definately helps.