R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Very hot motor... Speed Passion LPF 2.0 problem ??

Hi all,

I am running a TOP Photon with Speed Passion LPF 2.0 ESC and Speed Passion 13.5 BL motor on a short carpet track (about the size of a badminton court ~8 second laps) with a FDR of 5.6 and my motor temps are ridiculously high after a 5 minute race. We're talking 95c and we race at night (15c air temp).

I am positive that nothing is binding, and I have advance set to 0degrees and punch to 4 (of 9), no drag brake etc.

I have tried two motors (both known to run cool on the EXACT SAME settings on a friends LPF ESC with the same FDR) and they both ran silly hot on mine.

I am not thermalling (this comes in at 105c AFAIK), but it's still way too hot.

After changing everything else, the only thing I can think of is that the ESC is faulty.

Anyone got any ideas ?
I do use the brakes quite a lot as it's a short, twisty track, but I don't see how driving style can make that much difference... I finish a 5 minute race within 2 seconds of my mate with the same ESC and motor (identical settings).

Cheers,
Daniel.

Titanium Racing (Team TR Driver) / Tekin RS Pro / Novak Ballistic 13.5t / Spektrum

www.titaniumracing.com
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
Hi all,

I am running a TOP Photon with Speed Passion LPF 2.0 ESC and Speed Passion 13.5 BL motor on a short carpet track (about the size of a badminton court ~8 second laps) with a FDR of 5.6 and my motor temps are ridiculously high after a 5 minute race. We're talking 95c and we race at night (15c air temp).

I am positive that nothing is binding, and I have advance set to 0degrees and punch to 4 (of 9), no drag brake etc.

I have tried two motors (both known to run cool on the EXACT SAME settings on a friends LPF ESC with the same FDR) and they both ran silly hot on mine.

After changing everything else, the only thing I can think of is that the ESC is faulty.

Anyone got any ideas ?
I do use the brakes quite a lot as it's a short, twisty track, but I don't see how driving style can make that much difference... I finish a 5 minute race within 2 seconds of my mate with the same ESC and motor (identical settings).

Cheers,
Daniel.
What version s/w are you running?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
What version s/w are you running?
I am not sure... I haven't upgraded from what it came with... don't you need the LCD programmer to do that ?

Titanium Racing (Team TR Driver) / Tekin RS Pro / Novak Ballistic 13.5t / Spektrum

www.titaniumracing.com
Old 08-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Tech Regular

If the laps are only 8 seconds I would say your over geared, try using a smaller pinion maybe a final ratio of 6.2 would be a good starting point. Hope that helps
FLAT OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT OUT View Post
If the laps are only 8 seconds I would say your over geared, try using a smaller pinion maybe a final ratio of 6.2 would be a good starting point. Hope that helps
Maybe, but my mate has the same ESC and motor, same FDR (5.6) and his motor is only around 65c after 5 minutes. I have tried his motor in my chassis, and it's 90c! Maybe I should try his ESC too and prove that it's my ESC.

Hmmmm...

Daniel.

www.titaniumracing.com
Old 08-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Maybe, but my mate has the same ESC and motor, same FDR (5.6) and his motor is only around 65c after 5 minutes. I have tried his motor in my chassis, and it's 90c! Maybe I should try his ESC too and prove that it's my ESC.

Hmmmm...

Daniel.
Sounds more like the two of you have different software versions on your ESC's
Old 08-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers,
Daniel.
I have had exactly the same problem with the same setup as you , unless i go over a FDR of 7 then the temps are extremely high , will getting the LCD programmer unit solve this then by updating the software ??

thanks
madwestmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Tech Champion

My recommendations are to definitely get the LCD box or find a friend that has one and installing the 323 s/w, on the Esc run the timing and DRRS maxed out and have a final drive of about 4.9
Old 08-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Tech Master

Or, it could be your drivetrain is binding somewhere.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 98 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
My recommendations are to definitely get the LCD box or find a friend that has one and installing the 323 s/w, on the Esc run the timing and DRRS maxed out and have a final drive of about 4.9
same prob running a 2.0 with a ballistic 17.5 rubber at a 4.0 fdr and comming off at 175 180f ?? will the software help this and no one has the lcd in stock
Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

your undergeared IMO, the only reason to go to that ratio is to take power away from the motor.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
Or, it could be your drivetrain is binding somewhere.
I don't think so... the chassis is brand new, and smooth as silk... the wheels spin freely without the pinion connected.

My guess is the software.
The motor instructions say to aim for a FDR from 4.8 to 6.0... I am in the middle of the recommended range.

I will try and get hold of the LCD programmer and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Daniel.

www.titaniumracing.com
Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

a guy that runs with us has blown a 13.5 and a 21.5 with the SP gt2.0... somthings up with the speedpassions....

my advice buy your self a good fan like the lrp one....

Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers,
Daniel.
are you running 0 timing on the esc??
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01 View Post
a guy that runs with us has blown a 13.5 and a 21.5 with the SP gt2.0... somthings up with the speedpassions....

my advice buy your self a good fan like the lrp one....

Alex

Yeah I watched him pop a 21.5 this past weekend running his VTA
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote