Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
foam on asphalt? >

foam on asphalt?

foam on asphalt?

Old 01-26-2004, 09:29 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
racingcivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: memphis
Posts: 117
Default foam on asphalt?

anyone use foam on asphalt? i tried it this weekend with purple and plaids and it was doing better than the take off 22's. Although they were working well it seems that maybe i should be using some other color. anyone have any ideas.
the building is indoors and the track is cold.
thanks for the help.
racingcivic is offline  
Old 01-26-2004, 10:31 AM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
GoFaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 342
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

There are lots of threads about this. Do a search and you will find lots of "opinions". Your personal experience would be your best answer though.

Good Luck.
GoFaster is offline  
Old 01-26-2004, 10:35 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
JusBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central VA
Posts: 2,170
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

My local track uses foams on asphault. I think the owner said purples and double purples worked best. I'll see this spring what works the best.
JusBox is offline  
Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: foam on asphalt?

Originally posted by racingcivic
anyone use foam on asphalt? i tried it this weekend with purple and plaids and it was doing better than the take off 22's. Although they were working well it seems that maybe i should be using some other color. anyone have any ideas.
the building is indoors and the track is cold.
thanks for the help.
If the track is cold try Jaco or CRC Magenta Rears and Magenta/Orange fronts. The balance will be the same as purple and plaid but they should offer you more grip. Do you use any tire sauce (compound)? I've found that for asphalt Trinity's Tangerine Tyre Tack works exceptionally well. Hope this helps.
CypressMidWest is offline  
Old 01-26-2004, 12:41 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
 
THeGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,013
Default Tires..

Jaco or Trc purples and double purples work Great out side, thats what we run..
THeGame is offline  
Old 01-26-2004, 12:52 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Suradaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: +:+:+BKK-Thailand+:+:+
Posts: 206
Default

I have tried pinks on the rear and purple on the fronts. Works great~!
Suradaj is offline  
Old 01-26-2004, 06:04 PM
  #7  
B4
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
B4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 642
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Where to Buy

Does anyone know where i can buy 26mm rear foams from in HK. I have looked at my regular sites but they don't have any. Any url's would be appreciated.
B4 is offline  
Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 PM
  #8  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,534
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

you will never find 26mm rear tires! no one in hk runs foam on electic!

just get front foams...the are the same stuff!
disaster999 is offline  
Old 01-27-2004, 02:29 AM
  #9  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,990
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by disaster999
you will never find 26mm rear tires! no one in hk runs foam on electic!

just get front foams...the are the same stuff!

sorry mate but there is a massive difference between front and rear foams. Fronts for front only, rears can be used on front as well but will give a lot more steering.
Besercoe is offline  
Old 01-27-2004, 02:51 AM
  #10  
Tech Elite
 
fatdoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD USA
Posts: 3,642
Default

I ran front 40s 26mm nitro foams on all 4 wheels through the summer. They worked great on the outdoor asphult tracks I run at.
fatdoggy is offline  
Old 01-27-2004, 06:45 AM
  #11  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,534
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Besercoe
sorry mate but there is a massive difference between front and rear foams. Fronts for front only, rears can be used on front as well but will give a lot more steering.
as far as i know...they are the same...i ran front tires in the rear of my car before, handles like a dream

how could it possiblely be different that whats used in the fronts? they are of the same compound (if your running shore ratings) and the donut rings MIGHT be different than the fronts

i dont think companies could actually spend more money on researching a completely new compound or whatever for the rear tires. if thats the case...why do they ahve the same shore as the fronts? why would the front tires be the same price as the rears?
disaster999 is offline  
Old 01-27-2004, 07:28 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by disaster999
as far as i know...they are the same...i ran front tires in the rear of my car before, handles like a dream

how could it possiblely be different that whats used in the fronts? they are of the same compound (if your running shore ratings) and the donut rings MIGHT be different than the fronts

i dont think companies could actually spend more money on researching a completely new compound or whatever for the rear tires. if thats the case...why do they ahve the same shore as the fronts? why would the front tires be the same price as the rears?
The shore rating is the same, but the Front Only foams have a closer cell structure than standard foams. That makes them wear slightly longer, but they also provide slightly less traction. The Front only compounds were developed for Nitro Racing which is BRUTAL on tires. They are signicantly different.
CypressMidWest is offline  
Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 AM
  #13  
Tech Elite
 
fatdoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD USA
Posts: 3,642
Default

CypressMidWest - So nitro rear tires are closer to the type of foam used in trc and jaco (ele) tc tires?
fatdoggy is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.