Ceramic Bearings >

Ceramic Bearings

Ceramic Bearings

Old 02-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Ceramic Bearings

Hi Guys,

I have just ordered in a full set of Ceramic bearings for my Yokomo SD.

With my other type of bearings, the first thing i did when i got them was to take the seals off them and clean all the packed grease in them, and replace with a lighter oil.

What i want to know from you guys who have fitted them is, do i need to take the seals off and do the same thing, i have heard many conflicting stories, i just want to hear what everyone is doing.

regards brad p
Old 02-01-2004, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've used the Acer ceramics and I just took them out of the package and put them into my car. The lube they use is very thin and they spin super right away. I don't have any experience with the Yokomo ones yet though. I can't see why they would put a heavy grease in them though, see what they feel like and go from there.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I'd spray them out and use a very light oil, propably lighter than what they put in them... but I'm just anal about a free spinning drivetrain.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Blow them out with motor spary...... Then put them on something of same circumferance, so you can spin them and oil at the same time. I use a reamer, for the bearing to seat in, and just spin it.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Matt Howard
I've used the Acer ceramics and I just took them out of the package and put them into my car. The lube they use is very thin and they spin super right away. I don't have any experience with the Yokomo ones yet though. I can't see why they would put a heavy grease in them though, see what they feel like and go from there.
Matt,

Using other than ceramic bearings, I was advised to replace them every year after the carpet season ends. Do you have any set standard for when its time to replace ceramic bearings?

FYI...I have a set of $60 polymide (?) bearings from Acer in one XXX-S and a $20 steel set in my other XXX-S. Many thanks.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
Matt,

Using other than ceramic bearings, I was advised to replace them every year after the carpet season ends. Do you have any set standard for when its time to replace ceramic bearings?

FYI...I have a set of $60 polymide (?) bearings from Acer in one XXX-S and a $20 steel set in my other XXX-S. Many thanks.
I'm going to run my ceramics as long as I can considering the money they cost. Whenever they don't spin freely anymore would be the time to replace them
Old 02-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, I'd just run them until they get sloppy or start to bind or feel odd(even when cleaned & oiled).....
Old 02-02-2004, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default any more

anymore info guys would be aprreciated they should be here tomorrow