R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Track surface traction additive?

I need some suggestions on what many use as traction additive for track surfaces.The track we run on is asphault parking lot.Not the smoothest by any means,but sealed with a slurry coat.
Last year we only used soda.Which worked fine.Today we tested with vht with disappointing results.I think it may be that the ground is a little dusty and we havent raced on the surface in months.But the traction went away a bit by the second round.What I need help with is maybe some more suggestions besides soda or vht.Or maybe a combination that has worked for others in a similar situation.Soda works good,but the real problem is drying time when its cold outside.Its about 50 degress out in the morning and thats definately an issue.We only run rubber tires and we are having the 1st TCS series race of the year next weekend.I suppose we can just spray soda,but would like to know if anyone has anymore suggestions for me.Thanks fellas!By the way,we will be preasure washing the surface.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #2

i think with the vht you have to add alcohol to help it stick, here we blow the track with a leaf blower before applying traction additive which is grape soda, the cheap stuff. i guess you could mix the soda with the alcohol to help it dry quicker. actually i don't know if you can even mix the two safely so try a small amount first. we use a weed killer sprayer to apply it. i was hoping to make it down for the race but to many things going on here. grew up in fremont and i have been to your store a couple of times when on vacation.

ps i guess you can try blowing it around with a leaf blower to help it dry faster too
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

racenut123, we've applied VHT to our parking lot track and had great results. We first blowed the track off with a leaf blower then we applied the VHT with a weed killer sprayer but the VHT was diluted 50/50 with mineral spirits. Also, let the compound dry 45min. to an hour before running on it.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Suspended

We blew the track off pretty well with a leaf blower.We cut the vht with methanol 50/50 and let dry.Vht in my experience is not the best for rubber tires,but awsome for foam.The tamiya tires pick up alot of the vht and act really strange on vht.I need to see if anyone has other alternatives.Like sugar water for instance.Has anyone found it to be better then say rootbeer alone?Has anyone tried sugar in soda?Vht is nice and easy to use,but we need an alternative because the Tamiya tires arent having it!

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:06 PM   #5
Tech Elite

racenut, have you tried the 50/50 vht/mineral spirits mixture? As I remember this was the stickiest compound we've run on parking lot and we have tried soda but it wasn't very effective as the vht.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Suspended

Where do you find mineral spirits in that quantity?And how many gallons do you use for a day of racing on a track lets say 60ft by 120ft?Maybe I didnt spray enough?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Home Depot, the paint section and buy it by the gallon. Our track is roughly 60'X120' and I beleive we used one 2 gallon sprayer to spray the track. Thing is you want to spray the compound evenly, we only sprayed a good area in the turns so it might take more to do the whole track. Also, if you want to keep the sprayer after it's empty clean it out by running about an eighth gallon of straight mineral spirits through it.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've got a silly question.

What exactly is vht?

We have small indoor asphalt track that just opened and the surface is a little on the slick side. I was going to suggest they spray sugar water or soda on it next weekend, but I would like to find out more about this VHT.

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up VHT is

VHT TRACKBITE is an exclusive consumer formulation designed to offer controlled traction for competition racing. VHT TrackBite is a liquid track treatment, which improves traction by means of adhesion and does not soften tires nor the track surface as other imitation products may.
RedBullRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
Tech Master

Default Re: VHT is

Well, this may sound a little strange but I got it from a factory driver that I will leave un named, but any ways wd40 sprayed on the tracl and let to dry will give unheard of traction. I have never done it but you may....i
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:53 PM   #11
WC
Tech Master

WD40 destroys tarmac/asphalt, I wouldn't let it drip on my driveway.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:15 AM   #12
Tech Addict

WD40 on the track, interesting. I know if you use it on your rubber tyres it works really well, but never heard of using it on the track...
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:16 AM   #13
Tech Master

NOT to say that you are wrong, but how does it eat the surface?
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:57 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

wd40 is great as traction compound on rc cars, strangely enough it has the opposite effect on a full size car, maybe something to do with the rubber componds.

you want unheard of traction? zero wheel spin? try straight cordial mixed with metho, spray it onto super smooth, nearly polished concrete, let it dry and it gives INCREDIBLE consistant traction, but only with foams, rubbers dont work nearly aswell as foams do on it. at a race meet they did this and i couldnt beleive how much traction there was, i nearly s#$t myself
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:10 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo
Default Suger water

Desolve sugar on water then use a fertilizer spray. This can help.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote