R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #31
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As some of the KO servos are both extremly fast and powerful itīs clear there is a powerhungry motor inside. This stresses the BEC-circuit a lot. The Digital-servos are even worse in this department as they have more torque under load and also produce some electrical noise (high frequency voltage spikes) to the powersupply (BEC).
As it seems there are some BEC-circuits not powerful enough for this job and a little to sensitive for the electrical noise. As I said before a cap connected to the receiver is a big help in this situation as its stabilize the BEC-voltage and smoothes out the voltage spikes.
But there are some important points

- first of all you have to use a cap made for applications like this. You cant use any cheap cap as this wonīt change anything.
In the USA Digikey is selling the Panasonic FC series caps. These work really good but any similar low impedance cap may be used also. Capacity should be about 220 - 470 uF, voltage in the 10 - 25 V range.

- you have to use very short wires for connecting the cap to a free slot at the receiver. Maybe 1 inch long wires is OK.

- you have to be careful with the right polarity of the cap. If you use wrong polarity the cap could explod or damage the speedcontrol or receiver.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

v12-so the cap will store a bit of power for the servo and PT then without any negative effects? I can patch it in anywhere on a positive and negative lead? I ask as all my RX are three channel and thats servo, esc and PT. I have no open slots to tie into unless splice in somewhere. Wheres best to splice in at?

Thanks,
Ray

I agree a receiver pack on a stock touring car is absurd!!! A mod sedan with KO digital servo-sure!!! But not for stock.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #33
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
v12-so the cap will store a bit of power for the servo and PT then without any negative effects? I can patch it in anywhere on a positive and negative lead? I ask as all my RX are three channel and thats servo, esc and PT. I have no open slots to tie into unless splice in somewhere. Wheres best to splice in at?

Thanks,
Ray

I agree a receiver pack on a stock touring car is absurd!!! A mod sedan with KO digital servo-sure!!! But not for stock.
Usually every receiver also have a slot for a battery as used for gascars. You also could use this slot as itīs the same rails as the servo slots. Easiest way is using a very short servowire for connecting the cap. You also can remove the signal wire if you like as you only need the wires for positive and negative. Usually this is red and black (KO,Futaba) or orange and brown (JR).
Sometimes there are lower gauge servowires these are better for lower resistance.
Regarding the cap if you donīt get a Panasonic FC cap itīs very important using a low impedance cap. If you look at the cap there are some technical descriptions like capacity and voltage on it. One of them is usually the max. temperature. Cheap caps are rated for a max. of 85° C only but you have to look for a 105° C rated cap. These are usually also of the low impedance type so you easily could see if itīs suitable.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:58 PM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

guys i think there is a problem with the jlap system because we use it here in florida at some of our tracks and certain people running differnt equipment have different issuses at different tracks.
i dont have problems any where with my nitro and electric cars except for one place and its with my nitro cars the thing about it not only with my pt but with there handouts aswell i ended mounting thier handout 1/2 inch from the ground to work
and its not just my car its few other guys aswell.
at other tracks its the same thing different guys same issuse's has to be something wrong with thier sys.