Wiki Posts
Search

best pro stock speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It's a good thing the Tekin has upgradable software, 'cause they're still trying to catch up with the code LRP burned to the SPX chips 1.5 years ago.
Well said.

Dear D34no,

I have GM120, SPX, RS pro and KO BMC. I drive carpet tc rubber 10.5.

This is just an opinion, just that.

Get the SPX. The software is a work of genius. Simple but so effective. Just go to profile 7 or 8 and gear lighter and lighter until your top speed suffers. Much lighter than you think you need. You will not believe the power this thing has once you find the spot. Also you will find it won't fade at 4 minutes if you gear right, which is hard to eliminate on the others. It also has incredible brakes. And no need for a laptop.

If you are technically minded the GM is just as good (it can be even better) but it takes time to understand it. Lethal if you know what you're doing!

The KO has the best power delivery of the lot - you are able to tune it to your needs, just a dream to drive. I love it, brakes are not equal to the SPX..but its a killer.

The Tekin is the best engineered and has free updates but..its not quite there yet. There are issues, look at the size of the thread. Brakes are terrible on 10.5. They are the best company to deal with though and its extremely reliable.

All are winners in the right hands but the SPX has fewest weaknesses - you will be on the pace right away.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hana166
Well said.

Dear D34no,

I have GM120, SPX, RS pro and KO BMC. I drive carpet tc rubber 10.5.

This is just an opinion, just that.

Get the SPX. The software is a work of genius. Simple but so effective. Just go to profile 7 or 8 and gear lighter and lighter until your top speed suffers. Much lighter than you think you need. You will not believe the power this thing has once you find the spot. Also you will find it won't fade at 4 minutes if you gear right, which is hard to eliminate on the others. It also has incredible brakes. And no need for a laptop.

If you are technically minded the GM is just as good (it can be even better) but it takes time to understand it. Lethal if you know what you're doing!

The KO has the best power delivery of the lot - you are able to tune it to your needs, just a dream to drive. I love it, brakes are not equal to the SPX..but its a killer.

The Tekin is the best engineered and has free updates but..its not quite there yet. There are issues, look at the size of the thread. Brakes are terrible on 10.5. They are the best company to deal with though and its extremely reliable.

All are winners in the right hands but the SPX has fewest weaknesses - you will be on the pace right away.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

A question. why do you have so much speedo's?

SPX is easy to adjust and I agree it's easy to adjust to a track.
It's a good speedo. Not the most reliable but it's good.

The GM is not my choice and that is because of the software.
I have not jet met a driver that nows how it works well.
It is fast as you now how it works but it's also quit big and heavy.

The other speedo I have never seen out here.
Also the team wave I haven't seen out here.
Here it is SPX, GM and Tekin.

Witch motor do you use that you have braking problems with the Tekin?

Still I stay with Tekin.
I don't have any braking problem.
Hath it with my Speedpassion but that was because of my settings on my radio.

Service is nr 1.
For me very important. Hath a lot of problems with LRP and GM.
I never buy them again.
I'm very happy with the service of Tekin.
They respond also on your mail when you have a problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
That is a nice function.
what does it do when the motor gets to hot?
does it stop or does it lower the speed?

When A novak thermals it will shut the motor off completely. You will lose all drive functions until the the controller has cooled off, and been reset. (off/On). Works great, has saved my motor acouple of times.

Shawn.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I was also the first one.
Now 8 club members have one and nr 9 is on his way.
Nr 10 will also come soon.
Even SPX drivers change to Tekin. And he is very happy with it.
He is even faster than he was with his SPX.
Everyones faster when they slow down LMAO

the KO BMC Ver. 1.5 is the strongest esc on the market... its out running SPX's, SP gt 2.0's, tekin rs pro(i previously had one of these) its the fastest thing on the track.... its feet over the other esc's, yes its a little more $$$ but in my opinion is 100% worth it... I got one and havent looked back yet.... its amazingly powerful...

Alex
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

A lot of people will say I dont like X Y or Z brand because they've naturally had a bad experience with that product.

However, sometimes that has been due to user error (I'm not quoting examples) just pointing out that in the age we are at of brushless ESC/Motors, if something is not set properly, it can fail much quicker and leave a sour thought.

With lots of adjustablility comes fine tuning, that can win races depending on how YOU set the ESC/motor up.

Being basic is good, and predictable... but may loose you a win or position because you didnt have that little extra something to get past your opposition.

Just roll with what you can, if you're not fast enough, you need to get your ESC/Motor working better.

If not, you need something else...

Sorry for the black or white vision to the question
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
I don't want to start trouble...but honestly how could you say that a product that constantly needs updates to try and compete is the best. I am not trying to hate but seriously this does not make sense to me. I am sure it works well for you, but to say it is the best may be a bit misleading.

The SPX just works no need for updating or downgrading. You plug it in and win...it is that simple.

It is cool that the Tekin is upgradeable, but I would rather not mess with it. I think some of these things distract from focusing on the real deficiencies in RC racing.
Agree a lot!

My Opinion:

SPX just simpel and works quit well. At the nationals we've seen that the SPX's are as fast as the GM120's. Top speed's are quite equal, difference of a few kilometers. Only thing I noticed is some mid power los at the SPX, but that is more a gearing thing. My SPX had more torque at the beginning and the same topspeed

I've also tried the GM120, and dislike it a lot. I've spend several day's at the track trying and testing. My car went horrible and the only thing I was doing was looking at my laptop screen. There are more importand things where you can get a lot more speed instead of the Speedo. You need to study the "holy Graupner book" all day to understand the damn thing. I can understand that, when you have it all right it has a slight bit more power or something, but you first need to understand it!

I like the SPX, it's fast, simpel and works all the time! Never had a bad issue with the Nosram Matrix '07, Nosram Matrix ISTC or the Nosram Matrix Spec Racing!

Just my 2 cents

Best Regards

Robert
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

That is a nice function.
what does it do when the motor gets to hot?
does it stop or does it lower the speed?
first overheat warning the motor Stutters/ lacks punch second overheat warning the Motor is shut off untill temps are safe enough to continue racing (takes about 30 sec to cool the motor off with a fan, longer without)

2 of my GTB's are Vintage non LiPo.
2 of them are non Spektrum 06 era with LiPo cutoff.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Agree a lot! At the nationals we've seen that the SPX's are as fast as the GM120's. Top speed's are quite equal, difference of a few kilometers.
WOW!!! Sign me up!!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
WOW!!! Sign me up!!
He means top speed.
Only thing he forgot to tell is why the GM's were having a higher top speed.
The motor temp of the GM's were much higher.

The highest top speed with a motor that stayed under the 180F is don with a Tekin RS Pro.
13,5 lipo.
The GM goes fast but on the ETS a driver burnt 3 motors with it.
The speed of the speedo's are quit the same.
Most difference is still the driver.

Robbert I use the Tekin because it's easy to adjust everything without to have a study that you need with the GM.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Location: Naperville, Illinois- on to Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana Racetracks!
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

I'm a huge fan of the RS. I had an LRP, and my friend turned me on to the RS.... and... wow.

So many adjustments, and the updates are brilliant.

I recently had a chance to visit their facility; just great guys all around. I'd highly recommend then (and do) to just about anyone looking for a high-end speedo.

As far as I'm concerned, they are so far ahead of the curve... for a racer, there really isn't even an option anymore as far as speedos go....
Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

He means top speed.
oohhh... per hour?! aahh
Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Out of all the current advanced timing speed controllers I believe they all perform pretty close to each other. They all have plus's and minus's to them. Nothing is ever perfect. Realize what weakness you see in the speed controller your using first, then work around it. Then utilize what strengths you see and use it to your advantage. In the end my opinion is that the majority of the performance you get out of whatever brand of speed controller you use, depends on how well you have it setup. How well someone knows how to set up gearing for their speedo, what profile for a certain track, etc will make them the person to catch on the straight away and the infield.

I personally like the Tekin. And I haven't been outrun by anyone while using it. When a Tekin hits turbo it LAUNCHES. At top speed the car sounds demonic I love it Another thing I like about it is that I can gear my cars short so I can have insane low end, and because of the turbo function, have the top speed if not more, than gearing my cars tall. I also like getting free updates and having a lot of control on tuning the speedos settings to my liking. What I don't like at the moment is that it does have some brake issues. If you don't let the car get into turbo timing the brakes are very strong. If your in turbo for a long time, the brakes are still good but noticeably weaker. Its not a big deal to me anymore because I have worked around it. I just set my car up to not have to use brakes much

I used a SPX for awhile beforehand, and it is a nice speedo as well. Pulls nice and smooth all the way up to top speed. Very fast and easy to make changes at the track, so I think a little quicker to use in figuring out gearing for the day. It may just be in my head, but from what I remembered, it seemed even if you were off on your gearing some it could still pull pretty hard out of the corners. Top speed is very good, doesn't really feel like it's going to top out, keeps on pulling. Also the brakes are intense. You can literally flat spot your tires by slamming the brakes. What I didn't like about the SPX is that I blew my first one up. The second one I got was fine though. I also wished I had some more adjustability on the advanced timing profiles.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After reading through this forum it appears that the GMs and LRPs are most popular in Europe and the Tekins are most popular in North America. It is probably based solely on service and factory support. There really is no GM dealer in NA anymore and LRPs service here is horrible and they tend to have an"arrogant" attitude. I think that NA racers can relate to Tekin folk and are more open to working with them.

Plus LRPs always blow up.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

1. Tekin RS-Pro
2. Team Wave RB-50
Old 10-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
This is why the Tekin is the best, even with it's issues.
I second this comment, keep up the great work Randy!!!

Sean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.