Community
Wiki Posts
Search

xray or pohton

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Default xray or pohton

hi gyus, i was thnkin bout getting an xray, but hear tha parts are a little bet expensive. how does this car compare to the new photon someguys at my local track have them but i dont like to looks of thm and heard the spools suck and the parts are easy to break. the xrays sound like an all around btter car, but i wanna know from you guys.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Well the Xray is definatly a better car. The photon did have issues with the spool and some absolutly retarted solutions for it but they have got it fixed. And yes while the Photon does have cheaper parts, Xrays quality and durability are uncomparable to the Photons, and you know the old saying you get what you pay for. Also, the photon has a lot of trim this and glue that and all that mess you have to do to it, the Xray is just build it and go. The only thing you may have to ream on the Xrays are the arms. Hope you decide on an Xray, and good luck in your decision.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Initiate

I am a T2 009 owner, and yes it is durable and the build, I have no complains, and yes again, the parts are expensive!!!

An other choice I would consider is the Tamiya TRF416WE, I had the chance to drive one of my friend's, it is quite easy to drive and in his opinion, a bit less setup is required than the T2 009. Parts are cheaper than T2 009 but not as durable.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

i'd go with the xray but the photon would'nt be a bad choice at all once they get the bugs worked out
Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

depending on where you race.. parts for the photon may not be readily availible.

The xray is very durable. When i first started out with my TC I was buying parts pretty regularly... but now that Im a better driver I am rarely buying parts.

my vote is for the Xray
Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Adept

I have just gone for the Photon... first outing is tonight (if I get my shell cut out when I get home).

I was seriously contemplating the Xray, but everyone at my club has one, and I like to be different.

The build wasn't too bad, a few fiddly bits (like individual thrust bearings!) but I seem to have done it all properly.

Reliability and durability will definitely be put to the test with my (lack of) driving skills.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either... but I got my Photon £80GBP cheaper than the Xray so had plenty for spares
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

xray Spool+ECS+diff makes the difference
on the other hand photon is not that bad apart from spool trouble but there is a new TIR spool available and it's not that expensive...
Xray Parts are expensive but really durable and strong apart from rear uprights...
trf416 is the best car on the market at the moment but I didn't like the rear diff you need to rebuilt more often against fully shielded xray diff
Old 08-14-2009, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

We had a decent driver at a recent large event have problems with the front hubs on his Photon. The screws kept stripping out which meant it kept coming apart during the races.

I switched from Schumacher to Xray as I wanted a change and haven't regretted it.
The only parts I have to replace in the last 9 months that have worn were diff plates and balls and one rear hub carrier.
I also replaced a spool after a huge crash indoors which tore the outdrive apart. Still haven't even managed to bend a pivot pin or break a wishbone which I am surprised about.

Skiddins
Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

I was going to buy an x ray but I found that the parts are too expensive and hop up parts that you need to make the car work are sold separately. I was looking for a cyclone tc but couldn't find one. The cyclone comes with a multi-diff and extra parts for different situations. so tuning options are kept to a minimum without spending extra money. I bought a schumacher mi-4. But I am still in the market for a cyclone tc. Watch the euro touring series. The top cars are tamiya trf416 and the cyclone with the x Ray just behind. Not to take anything from xray, it's a well respected and high quality car and I am not putting it down, it just cost too much and you have buy the extra Accesories to make it work. I think the tamiya or the cyclone are the most simple to set up without having to spend the extra cash.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Addict

To be honest it sounds like you've already made your mind up between the two cars.....

But the comment from that xray driver about retarded fixes for the spools on the photon is somewhat inaccurate.....
Yes there were spool issues with the plastic being too soft. But this was rectified with free items to all that purchased the kits.
With any new car you get teething problems compared to a car that's had the same platform for 3 years, with the past two being the same car.....(with minimal changes)

I remember when we had the the first batch of xrays 08's when they would strip belts every other run.
This was fixed by a random soloution.

I'm running for TOP and can say it's a really nice car, I can't really fault it tbh.

Obviously my opinion will be bias as I run for TOP but unlike everyone who has posted on this I've actually run both cars.

Both cars are great, you pay your money and take your choice.

Luke
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Top Photon

I haven't run an XRAY but from what I read and have seen from our fast locals, they are very good cars but expensive. Basically you have the two popular cars at the moment. I would also throw in the Tamiya 416WE.

I decided to go with a TOP Photon because the parts are locally supported and TOP USA offers really good customer service. They actually listen to what you have to say and actively do something to correct an issue right away; i.e. offer an aluminum spool drive cup option. TOP USA also offers fast shipping direct from Michael @ TOP. Kevin J and EJ have been very helpful with my setups.

I am very happy with Josh Cyrul's design. The car is very easy to work on. To remove the front spool or rear diff you undo four screws. To remove the spur; two screws (but you do have to ream the new spur a bit). The rear diff is way smoother than my old Cyclone TC rear diff.

As for the spool drive cups issue I will be receiving the updated aluminum spool drive cups this weekend. However, I have been running the old TOP Scythe front metal spool with no issues. I read the Yokomo BD5 is another spool that works on the car.

I've gone from a TC5 to an HB Cyclone and now a TOP Photon. I can't compare to an XRAY, but compared to the other two, it's the Photon.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc-crazy28
hi gyus, i was thnkin bout getting an xray, but hear tha parts are a little bet expensive. how does this car compare to the new photon someguys at my local track have them but i dont like to looks of thm and heard the spools suck and the parts are easy to break. the xrays sound like an all around btter car, but i wanna know from you guys.
Originally Posted by #88driver
Well the Xray is definatly a better car. The photon did have issues with the spool and some absolutly retarted solutions for it but they have got it fixed. And yes while the Photon does have cheaper parts, Xrays quality and durability are uncomparable to the Photons, and you know the old saying you get what you pay for. Also, the photon has a lot of trim this and glue that and all that mess you have to do to it, the Xray is just build it and go. The only thing you may have to ream on the Xrays are the arms. Hope you decide on an Xray, and good luck in your decision.
why are you two posting from the same computer minutes apart?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
It must be a shared computer!?!?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Pardon my ignorance of the way the forum works but how can you tell that? Can you see the IP address?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Pardon my ignorance of the way the forum works but how can you tell that? Can you see the IP address?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.