Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors? >

Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?

Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Champion

Default Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?

As per the title, what do you prefer?

Having spent a lot of my earlier r/c days within indoor clubs, I would say indoors, on carpet.

Being in the UK, the weather is unpredictable to say the least even in the summer If you want to go outside inbetween heats, you can.

Secondly, I like the fact that most indoor tracks will have mains power, so no need to carry a heavy battery around to charge from.

Thirdly, most indoor carpet tracks have good grip levels, so you're not chasing your setup so much. You might need to keep an eye out for grip level, but for me it's easier to dial out grip, than to try and find it through your setup and trying different tyres

I do like outdoor racing, but for me it just doesnt have the same atmosphere or enjoyment
Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Definitely outdoors. Seems more appropriate to be racing on a hard surface and not carpet. Plus cars generally stay cleaner on a well prepared surface vs indoors where you pick up a bunch of carpet fibers and foam tire chunks. Plus you get to hangout outside. Its like a weekly tailgate party.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Living in Florida all we have is outdoor asphalt, and temps in the summer are less than desirable, hell temps in the winter are less than desirable.

I would much prefer indoor anything, carpet, asphalt, off road doesn't matter
Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

I can go with that...

Outdoors you have a hard surface like full sized racing, indoors you're pushing away foam marbles....

I can live with brushing the car off after every heat, I check it over for any possible problem developing at the same time

Cant remember the last time I used a set of wet weather tyres though
Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Outdoors for me!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It seems like if weather is the determining factor you aren't answering where you prefer to race but where you prefer to live If you took weather out of the equation would people still choose carpet over a hard surface like asphalt?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

I'd still choose to race on carpet, as it's where most of my experience is from

The year I started to race outdoors was a very different experience.

I never really got to fully understand how much difference there was, obviously the car setup was all new to me, but it was more noticable from track to track on grip levels when outdoors, so it can get frustrating and less enjoyable.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Hve never experienced indoor racing but on those days when its windy or raining i wish we had a indoor.
Would also be much better to have indoor evening races.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by razzor
Would also be much better to have indoor evening races.
It's very popular in the UK to have indoor evening racing. It seems to work well with everyons life style
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Indoor on carpet hands down. Carpet fiber blows off pretty easily with a little forced air. The environment is controlled so the car doesn't need constant radical adjustment. Traction is consistant from heat to heat, race to race. And the number one reason, I burn easily in the sun.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Shameless plug

I may be biased here, but I have the good fortune to be near a friggin awesome on-road facility (big up to LHR for the Byrons') and to race outdoors on a well prepared, purpose made outdoor facility on a beautiful summer day will make you wonder who thought of ozite anyway. Parking lots is a different story though.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Well if Hugh Hefner had a indoor track at his house I would run indoors, but until that day, I prefer to run outdoors ,even in the Florida heat.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

definitely, I prefer indoor tracks 'cause I like technical tracks and a persistent weather.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I dont get where these mentions of not having to adjust a car as much on carpet compared to asphalt are coming from.. That makes no sense to me. In my experience, the grip levels at carpet races vary wildly from one round the next due to the increased level of compound getting slopped all over the place. Now if tire additives were taken away, and we had to set up to run on actual carpet rather than layers of goo, maybe things would be different.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

I guess it depends on the additives allowed/used and the grip level/type of carpet. I guess the pile can vary. I use CS additive.

I know some tracks can get sticky, but i've not experienced it myself to an excessive level.

Typically I would get more fuzz on the car in practice, then less as the race meeting progresses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.