R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New T.M. Tires

What do people think of the new 38mm T.M. 12th scale tires? Has anyone tried their new yellow compounds (and no I haven't tried them yet)?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Which tires are those? Link?

Ah I found em...Looks nice but I wonder what shore rating their foams are...kinda pricey too considering Jacos sell on-line for around $10 a pair.

Last edited by InspGadgt; 08-12-2009 at 11:01 PM.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Hey Inspt. The foam is the same as popular brands. CRC has a wonderful article on their site about the differences between exotic foam and natural rubber foam. In essence the Pink, Magenta (or Dbl Pink as Jaco calls it), and Purple (and Dbl. purple) are all from the same "family" of Natural Rubber foam while White, Gray and Blacks are from the Exotic Foam family. From there the only difference in colors is the durometer. T.M. tires uses the typical industry standards for it durometer gradings:
Exotic Compounds
White --------------------------25
Gray ---------------------------30
Tan -----------------------------32
Black ---------------------------35
Double Black -----------------45

Natural Rubber Compounds
Pink ---------------------------------30
Magenta ----------------------------35
Purple -------------------------------40
Double Purple ---------------------50

Jaco has some durometer grades such as Magenta and Lilac that are inbetween the typical shore grades to offer more customization that are quite popular. Other tire companies also offer extra grades as well. For instance BSR and CRC offer their Yellow rear compound tires with a thin outside strip of gray to prevent chunking better. T.M. offers its own G series of ring combination tires and now it to offers a Yellow compound rear that will feature a thin outside edge of gray if I am not mistaken.

While Jaco and RC 4 Less are the price point leaders as of now the listed retail prices of T.M. Tires are in line with other popular makes such as CRC, BSR and Parma ($15-$18). You could possibly pay less through your LHS.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Tech Champion

That's why I like to make sure because of things like CRC's magenta being roughly equivalent to Jaco's dbl pink. CRC's web site even shows a shore difference between their front and rear Magentas. I've read the article on CRC's site...it's really good. But I would still rather be sure the TMs are the same given the difference between CRC and Jaco and RC4Less and everyone else. 2 out of 5 brands at significantly less then the other 3 is still nearly 50% And I imagine it won't be too much longer until the Parmas come down to the Jaco level since they are the same rim and tire...just dyed black. I've ran CRCs in the past and really like that rim but due to cost went to Jacos. For Snowbirds I was able to get CRCs at near the price of Jacos so I ran them there.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I haven't tried TM's tires but I can tell you that CRC foam is not the same as Jaco. A CRC white is not the same as Jaco White and is even different than a BSR White. Durometer values are not as important as they were years ago. With all the different compounds some have the same value but react very different because of the rubber.

For 1/12 Stock I think Yellow is the standard rear. For fronts I have been going to black since going to Lipo. I use to always run Magenta or Lilac.

For 1/12 Mod i think they are using Pink rears and Pink or DBL Pink for front.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Right. That's why I stated those company's retail prices since it is possible to get them for less.
Regarding differences between various company's tires it should be remembered that there are tire company's that are older than Jaco (such as T.M.). For instance, as I am sure you will remember, it was TRC/Trinity that first came out with "magenta" if I am not mistaken and they set the shore rating at 35. Jaco wanted to call his 35 grade something else and came up with the name dbl pink.

The rest of the industry had already followed TRC's lead on their 35 shore natural rubber by the time Jaco started calling it dbl. pink. Same stuff, different names. Then, not all of that long ago Jaco created a shore rating for a tire that they called a magenta which is where the confusion now comes from I think. Now racers are probably more accustomed to using Jaco's nominclatures so it can make it appear as if others are doing something different even if they are not. I am sure that you know all of this however and you probably know it better than I do.

As far as actual ratings Tony has told me in the past that shore ratings are only good when the foam is a certain height and it changes if it is taller or shorter. Tony (of T.M.) also has told me that all durometer readings have a +- value (like everything manufactured) and that he likes a +- 5 value for his durometer readings so I am glad that CRC tells you this as well.

In the end I think T.M., Jaco, CRC, BSR, Parma, etc. are all good and can be trusted with their provided durometer readings. Those that offer a +- value are simply trying to follow standard manufacturing norms I think. Just the fact that you liked CRC's is encouraging as it lends experiencial re-enforcement to the fact that different companies produce high quality products with their own nuances of specialized offerings, rim astetics and flex charateristic designs.