Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
what 1 12 pan car to get >

what 1 12 pan car to get

what 1 12 pan car to get

Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default what 1 12 pan car to get

i am going to be new to pan car racing was wondering what is the best car to get to start out in. Also is easy to setup. rookie in pan cars . are these cars hard to drive.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by infernoman2008
i am going to be new to pan car racing was wondering what is the best car to get to start out in. Also is easy to setup. rookie in pan cars . are these cars hard to drive.
The crc or speedmerchant platforms are pretty easy to use. I would choose a crc carpet knife or gen x. I think they are the least expensive. The BMI diggity designs or the corally are more expensive and are more advanced. For beginners I would not choose a t- plate chassis, I think they are for the more experienced. Plus with a t-plate chassis it difficult to set up for lipo battery. Try for the simplest design that would work for you.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Turst me on this. GET A BMI!. Dont have to worry about tweak or being a pro to learn how to set one up. Plus they are just incredible to drive.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The CRC GenX is incredibly easy to drive and set up. Lipo capable, and for about another $60US you can make it brushless ready.
Pan car racing is more about finesse then brute power. Last season I was competing with 2009 Spec cars with a CRC CK3.2 and a brushed setup. It's more about driving line.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The latest CRC Gen X kits are boxed up with all that's needed to go brushless. You should not have to spend the extra $60 now.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been following the 1/12 scale threads since June and if I was to get one I'd try the BMI. Many have said it's great for beginners. And there are experienced drivers who own a BMI as well as the other pan cars and they still love the reliable, consistent handling of their BMI.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tired Racer
I've been following the 1/12 scale threads since June and if I was to get one I'd try the BMI. Many have said it's great for beginners. And there are experienced drivers who own a BMI as well as the other pan cars and they still love the reliable, consistent handling of their BMI.
+1 for the consistancy and easy of use on the BMI

Jason
Old 08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

where would i get a BMI at " supplier)
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

where would i get a BMI at " supplier)
Just hit Jason up at bmiracing.com, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

BMI for sure!!!
its my favorite car and i own alot of cars, im stuck between the bmi and flexi-flyer but with a stiffer rear spring (blue) the bmi now consistently has a lap on the flexi :O in 8min of solo practice
easy to drive it fast on any surface in any condition
it comes with all the goodies like irs front end parts and rear axle

i sold my crc gen-x i would definitly advise against it, my 8yo corally pan cars drive a tighter line than that chassis
i didnt bother to get a associated 12r5 as they have issues (aside from the fact it drives like a turd) like the front end wearing out wayy too fast
hpi/xray (is there really a difference???) both are nice cars but you might as well buy a 12l4 because they were outdated before they came on the market
Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think any of the cars will work for you. Yes they all have different learning curves but they'll work.

I would say go BMI because that's what I did. I bought a 12L4 when I got into 12th scale a little over a year ago and it was o.k. But then I got a deal on a used BMI DB12R and absolutely love it! I only changed the rear spring on the shock and the car worked great on our outdoor asphalt track!

I have not had to do any setup changes and will admit I barely do regular maintenance on the car But it still is just a breeze to drive! Heck I even pulled out a couple of A-Main wins in my first season of racing 12th with the BMI!

And I race with InspGdgt and have seen him beat on his car and it keeps coming back for more
Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Why does this Quest of Questions never find the 12th thread?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-12-forum.html
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

well thanks for everyones input looks like i will be getting a BMI just sucks that my LHS does not get parts for these cars. Is bmi the only place to get these cars and parts for them. also what brushless mtor should i start out with.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Stormer stock BMI stuff, the front end is AE L4 so you should be able to get that anywhere, rear axle is IRS ditto.
I would recommend some flex plates and pivots and a centre pivot as the only essential items to carry.

Jason
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From the pictures I looked at on the BMI website this car is not designed very well for brushless. The rear pod is still setup for brushed motors. Meaning the car will be heavy to one side in the rear due to the added length of a BL motor. The rear POD needs to be redesigned to center the motor which CRC has done with there latest car.

Just my observation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.