R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default New dyno technology

Hey guys and gals

I'm looking for some feedback on a new dyno I'm in the process of developing. I don't have any pictures yet but i can tell you it will be a "LOAD" type dyno, only it doesn't use a slave motor. Instead, it uses a water brake similar to full-size engine dyno's. It will have the ability to test at up to 60 amps, as well as an adjustable voltage setting ( 4-8 volts ). I have not yet decided if I want it to do step tests like the C.E. Turbodyno or if I want it to do sweep testing like a flywheel dyno. If I go with a sweep type test, the motor will be at full RPM before the dyno starts to load it that should stop any false amp readings. I may include both options that way the customer can decide which type of test is right for them. I am hoping to keep the price around $800-1000 not cheap I know but still around the same as a Robi. Please understand this project is in the prototype phase ( I do have the brake machined and assembled ) and even if I get positive feedback it will take some time to get it on the market. Thank you for taking the time to read this post I hope to hear from you soon!! Chris

[email protected]
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
Tech Adept

It sounds like a good idea except that I have 19 turn motors that pull 60 amps, it would not work for mod. Those can pull well over 120.

Cool idea though.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I was thinking about that, and I can get a power supply that will do 120 amps it just makes the price go up. I thought 60 amps is 15 higher than the CE and since the motor will be at full rpm BEFORE the load is applied, it shouldn't see the "start-up amps" of dyno's like the Fantom and Robi. But I can offer it with the higher amp rating if you guys want it. Thanks for the input. Chris
Old 01-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #4

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Motors will draw 80 amps from a standstill easily, modifieds probably over 100, but that's not really relevant, in a load type dyno. The CE TD45 goes up to 45 amps and it's probably the best dyno around right now.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default New dyno technology

ccm399;

Have the unit use an Automotive Battery for a power supply (like Robi and others). No problems suppling the amps to test Mods and this will keep the size and costs down.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I like the idea of a sweeping load much better then one with hard steps... or at least one that has like many steps... more then just 5.

If you have to do steps, I personaly would like to see POWER based steps if possible... I Think it might be easier to understand the data that way...

60 amps is likely good enough for most purposes. While I agree that there is not much need in being able to find the 'stall' torque/power, there is great value in being able to find peak power. You may not reach peak power by 60 amps in ultra low wind motors, but for stock and 19 turn motors you should pretty easily be able to find peak power with 60 amps.

It's really a whole differnt ball game, but it really would be great if there was some way to adapt any new RC dyno technology to be able to test BRUSHLESS motors... You should at least be thinking about how you might be able to do that... My thinking is you will have to use the whole brushless system and not just the motor... but then you'd have to find someway to get feedback from the controler and have your dyno make use of it... Mabye it's best left as a whole nother product... but I beleive brushless for the masses is less then 5 years away. (by masses I mean masses of racers)
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the input! I think I miss spoke ( typed??? ) when I said the power supply would cost more, what I meant is the motor control unit would more costly. I can get a unit that will do 80 amps and not cost much more than a 60 amp unit. As far as brushless testing, I think if you connect the motor controller to the dyno power supply the dyno would still measure amp draw. The rest is data generated from the brake itself. ( RPM , torque, watts, ETC. ) I hope to get some pictures of the brake up this weekend. Thanks again! Chris