Search
Like Tree9Likes

3racing F109

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post Foams

is anyone else having trouble finding F103 foam tires????

I am trying to get some foam tires that are good on med/high grip outdoors but can't seem to find much at all. Any suggestions would be welcome as i haven't tried using foams before.

We run with silvercans and we are NOT allowed tire additives so it makes a tire choice a bit more critical.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

You can either get them from Speedi Models in Auckland, or else get hold of Kevin Frewer if you just want some donuts to mount. His website is www.frewerracing.com
The phone number on the site is wrong, but the e-mail is correct.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by McLarenFan
We run with silvercans and we are NOT allowed tire additives so it makes a tire choice a bit more critical.
I have no experience myself in that case, but if I had to run without additive, I would definitely look into nitro tires. Hardness apart, their composition is much better suited to situations where you can't use additive, partly because of their amount of rubber and size of the alveoles I think. For the right width you'll have to look for tires aimed at the now dead 235mm nitro class.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

a good read :

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...article&sid=27
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Hey guys I just picked up one of these cars and while I do like to read 97 pages is alot . My question, what are the most common and usefull mods that can be done to this car for better performance? I'll be using this for some p-lot racing and some limited carpet use also.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good, now there will be one more at HT in Gilbert.
Not alot of mods to be done to the car.
Some guys put crc side springs on them, the alum
upper arm mount and rubber tires.
Are you going to bring it to CH on sunday?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris moore
..My question, what are the most common and usefull mods that can be done to this car for better performance? I'll be using this for some p-lot racing and some limited carpet use also.
Car does not need anything except better servo saver a central shock (any onroad hard springs work) a side springs (no need for crc mod, just get
racing oprtional springs)
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by SKramer
Good, now there will be one more at HT in Gilbert.
Not alot of mods to be done to the car.
Some guys put crc side springs on them, the alum
upper arm mount and rubber tires.
Are you going to bring it to CH on sunday?
I'm going to bring it but I doubt I'll have it ready to run by then, just a roller right now.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
As for the rear axle the F109 one will work fine. The F104, F103, and F109 all have axles with the same dimensions. The only difference is the F104 rear axle has the thrust bearing assembly inside the diff hub instead of inside the wheel.
Speaking of the F104 diff. I am converting my F109 diff assembly to the F104, so you do not have to tighten the diff every time that you change tires, but if you look at the instructions it looks as though you have a bearing on each side of the spur gear between the inside and outside diff housings. Now I know that does not make sense, but it shows that in the instruction on the Tamiya and 3racing's instruction manual. I have attached a pic out of the manual.

Thanks, Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
f104.pdf (197.4 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by Michal101; 01-30-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Michal101
Speaking of the F104 diff. I am converting my F109 diff assembly to the F104, so you do not have to tighten the diff every time that you change tires, but if you look at the instructions it looks as though you have a bearing on each side of the spur gear between the inside and outside diff housings. Now I know that does not make sense, but it shows that in the instruction on the Tamiya and 3racing's instruction manual. I have attached a pic out of the manual.

Thanks, Mike
No idea what car that is. Possibly the Wolf?

Here is the Manual for the 104Pro. Page 5 is the diff instructions.
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...Pro_Manual.pdf

With the 64pitch gears, a bearing seats inside the spur gear (with a 48pitc hgear you don't use the bearing, but you need a small sleeve thing called a gear adapter). There is then a bearing on the spur side of the diff housing, a bearing on the wheel side of the diff housing, then the cone washers, the diff spacer and the diff nut.

The 3 Racing Outtuned diff is the same basic principle, and is cheaper, but in my opinion the f104Pro diff is the best. Ohh and in order to install both the 3racing Outtuned diff or the F104 pro diff you will need to either buy an F104 pro drive shaft, or you cna just cut your f109 drive shaft shorter.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LordAnubis
No idea what car that is. Possibly the Wolf?

Here is the Manual for the 104Pro. Page 5 is the diff instructions.
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...Pro_Manual.pdf

With the 64pitch gears, a bearing seats inside the spur gear (with a 48pitc hgear you don't use the bearing, but you need a small sleeve thing called a gear adapter). There is then a bearing on the spur side of the diff housing, a bearing on the wheel side of the diff housing, then the cone washers, the diff spacer and the diff nut.

The 3 Racing Outtuned diff is the same basic principle, and is cheaper, but in my opinion the f104Pro diff is the best. Ohh and in order to install both the 3racing Outtuned diff or the F104 pro diff you will need to either buy an F104 pro drive shaft, or you cna just cut your f109 drive shaft shorter.
Lord,

I appreciate it and beleive it not the pic I posted is from the F104, but not the pro version. Anyway, I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Thanks, Mike
The F104 diff only comes in the F104 Pro, all other cars (F60, MP-24, Wolf, etc) use the old F103 diff which is just a plastic version of the F109 diff.

The first bearing put on the axle fits inside the kit spur gear, Tamiyas metric spurs have much larger hole in them for this bearing, using standard 48 and 64dp spurs you use the thin POM plastic gear adapter instead.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks, Mike
Lord,

I appreciate it and beleive it not the pic I posted is from the F104, but not the pro version. Anyway, I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks again, Mike
I can highly advise the alloy F104 Pro diff for any car, the 104, 103 or 109, less parts makes things MUCH easier.

When i went back to my 103 I took the 104 shock and diff with it, not my 103 is sound as a pound
Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

The Tamiya F104 diff is really nice in that you don't have to reset the diff every time you change tires. However it does come with the draw back that setting the diff in the first place is more difficult as you can not make adjustments on the track. The 3Racing aftermarket diff for the F104 gives you some external adjustability but I find the adjustment ring doesn't work all that well and I end up adjusting it from the axle nut anyway. On the plus side the 3Racing F104 diff is extremely smooth and I will keep using it just for that alone.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JR007
Yeah, thanks, i've done that. If I reduce the limit any more, I won't make the hair-pins, i'm 3/4 track width at low speed as it is.
The question was more about the CRC parts. I already have them, so may have a play around with it over the next few weeks and see how it comes out.
Hey mate, i have done that crc mod early last year, works a treat, i have tried to post pics on here, but don't have enough posts yet. The CRC bearings are a good fit in the 103 rims too. Have you done the mod to yours yet? are you coming up for the Nat's??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.