Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

3racing F109

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Rookie

this is quite a noob question but whats the difference in wear and grippyness between. Hard, Medium, Soft and Superion Tires?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Cool

Originally Posted by ADHUI
this is quite a noob question but whats the difference in wear and grippyness between. Hard, Medium, Soft and Superion Tires?
I have ordered somes, but not arrived in my hands yet, they are superion rears and normal hard fronts for the concrete track.
But don't worry, is possibly that i will report here about my test results in further moments!
What i know is the superion is softest compound but less reliability, that's why they are called "qualifier" tyres in Japan. The "non-superion" ones are called in that country "final" tyres, as the name called, they are harder compound but with better durability.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default rear bite

Is it true you get more rear traction if you slightly stiffen the rear shock and side springs?
Am running stock foams on sealed asphalt, silvercan.Stock center spring and kit oil,stock sidesprings.0*camber2*caster(all the way forward)
I put .22 assoc. springs in front and it still is loose,went to 3k diff oil in the roll damper with no change. Tried Paragon on the rears-no change.Are the stock foams(black softs)that bad on pavement?The car was dialed on carpet.I am afraid to try rubbers As I think foams should have more inherent traction.
My old -old 103rs is pretty decent with 15yr old tires(kit foams)and no center shock. Gotta show these 104 boys what a 109 can do,on carpet it was gold, but outdoors--it's a handfull.Please-- any help??
Old 04-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GasGod
Is it true you get more rear traction if you slightly stiffen the rear shock and side springs?
Am running stock foams on sealed asphalt, silvercan.Stock center spring and kit oil,stock sidesprings.0*camber2*caster(all the way forward)
I put .22 assoc. springs in front and it still is loose,went to 3k diff oil in the roll damper with no change. Tried Paragon on the rears-no change.Are the stock foams(black softs)that bad on pavement?The car was dialed on carpet.I am afraid to try rubbers As I think foams should have more inherent traction.
My old -old 103rs is pretty decent with 15yr old tires(kit foams)and no center shock. Gotta show these 104 boys what a 109 can do,on carpet it was gold, but outdoors--it's a handfull.Please-- any help??
First off if the Tamiya tires are working on asphalt, put those on your car. Are the tires on your car now real small? A little bigger tire can be better for low traction as well...

What Paragon did you use? Most of the time the white can (FX) works better outside, though the Black can (Ground FX) works ok at times. I also use sunscreen on the tires over the paragon once it has soaked in for a bit. This has been consistently pretty good for me. Most of the time I ran the HBR soft tires on the rear of my car outside, which are similar to a pink.

Second I think making the car that stiff in roll is bad. What is it doing? Just sliding? Spinout off power? No forward traction?? Generally going stiffer on the center spring/shock is just going to make the car more nervous and want to steer on power more. Making it stiffer side to side will make it more reactive off center as well. I have seen guys with 103RM cars with the pivot ball setup be just dialed on asphalt with the car basically flopping back and forth...so don't be afraid to go soft on the side springs and side damper oil. That being said, softer side to side may increase rotation, but that is probably going to happen when you are more dialed in.

Also, look at your car-there is a forward set of hole on the chassis for the rear links to make them longer. I have tried this on carpet and it will help rear traction. I can't see this as something that would hurt to try in your situation.

Add caster to the car as well. You don't have a lot, and some more caster will keep the car going in a straight line better.

I think I will get a chance to practice outside this weekend, so I will relay any good notes to you.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply-I now have the longer side links,will give that a try.
It's black paragon,I had the stock oil in the roll damper 1st and tried heavier-
It's just wierd that drastic changes as I have made seem to do little to affect
the car either way.I did note as the track temps rose it did get a little better,maybe it's still too cool-75-85*track temp. I run 1/12 as well (indoors)with a gen xl so I do know a little about 2wd pan.As for tire size they are new stock kit tires I had left from indoors.Tire wear on the carpet was minimal(I ran all season on 1 set).I am just confused as to why what I think should work(and usually does on my 1/12)doesn't seem to apply here(hence the bass akwards setups I have tried)Gonna have to try some different tires but have to order everything as LHS has a prob.getting stuff in stock.East coast F1 is still struggling to get going again.But I for one (as well as many interested newbies)will keep heart.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by InZane
The new 3Racing diff makes changing tires and diff adjustments a breeze. No more disassembling - just turn the inside alu ring for tightening/loosening the diff.
You will need to shorten the original diff axle or use a F104 shaft - the diff fits both F1-09 and F104.
how did you manage to fit the pinion onto the spur. My spur is too far out and cant seem to get the pinion to mesh properly
Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello. I really want to use Ride rubber which I can find and buy easy. only thing I can't find are Ride wheels for F103. I want Ride F103 wheels because I have been told they are better fit (bigger offset) for F109. Can anybody link me to some rims, or confirm that F104 wheels will be good enough? Will Ride rubber fit on original F103 wheels?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GasGod
Thanks for the reply-I now have the longer side links,will give that a try.
It's black paragon,I had the stock oil in the roll damper 1st and tried heavier-
It's just wierd that drastic changes as I have made seem to do little to affect
the car either way.I did note as the track temps rose it did get a little better,maybe it's still too cool-75-85*track temp. I run 1/12 as well (indoors)with a gen xl so I do know a little about 2wd pan.As for tire size they are new stock kit tires I had left from indoors.Tire wear on the carpet was minimal(I ran all season on 1 set).I am just confused as to why what I think should work(and usually does on my 1/12)doesn't seem to apply here(hence the bass akwards setups I have tried)Gonna have to try some different tires but have to order everything as LHS has a prob.getting stuff in stock.East coast F1 is still struggling to get going again.But I for one (as well as many interested newbies)will keep heart.
I had a chance to practice outside on a track that was semi prepared (sprayed), still pretty dusty. I'm thinking a lot of your problems may be the tires, since I know it was mine The car was actually pretty good with magenta rears and magenta fronts (TM donuts), done up with white paragon and sunscreen, but after about 2 laps, the tires picked up a bunch of dirt/pollen/paint chips from the curbs and started to spin. I cleaned the tires with motor spray to remove some of the stickiness and went back out. It worked ok, but I had to baby the throttle. 103RM kit fronts with the magenta rears pushed, but you could still overdo it if you got on the gas too hard. A HBR medium or like a purple would have been best but I ran out of time.

So my question is how was your track? If it hasn't been cleaned, or it's still dusty, etc., you might have to find some very soft rears, like a pink. Making the tires sticky with additive or sunscreen will just make the tires pick up crap and glaze over. When I was on the line with the gas cars, it was ok. If I got off it was bad news. When they have the track fully done up, and cars are all over it there is no issue.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

My track has fresh seal job now(3 days old),I tried the longer links-better-after spray of grape soda on track;better yet,I have HBR Med on the 103,gonna try that next, as rain interupted racing.Gotta get a 104 diff set for both cars as changing tires is a pita as well as messing up diff settings.
Gettin there
Track temp-low 70* air temp 55*very windy- then RAIN-Bah end of fun;we had a former TCS winner driving a 104 showing us his rear but----the future looks better.

Last edited by GasGod; 04-18-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ADHUI
how did you manage to fit the pinion onto the spur. My spur is too far out and cant seem to get the pinion to mesh properly
Sorry about the late reply - I've had a lot of other engagements the last week.
I'm not sure about your problem - my spur gear is only about 1mm further out compared to the original diff and this shouldn't cause any problems with the gear mesh (not for me anyhow).

Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry about the late reply - I've had a lot of other engagements the last week.
I'm not sure about your problem - my spur gear is only about 1mm further out compared to the original diff and this shouldn't cause any problems with the gear mesh (not for me anyhow).
If he's running a 540J motor, the shafts are short to begin with. Moving the gear out will increase this problem. BL motor, regular brush motor = no problem
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reconrc
Hello. I really want to use Ride rubber which I can find and buy easy. only thing I can't find are Ride wheels for F103. I want Ride F103 wheels because I have been told they are better fit (bigger offset) for F109. Can anybody link me to some rims, or confirm that F104 wheels will be good enough? Will Ride rubber fit on original F103 wheels?
I'm running Ride rubber on F103 wheels and they fit fine on my 109. I've also got the 104 diff conversion on it.
Does anyone know where I can pick up the rear side "tweak" springs for roll control?? THe 3 racing web site says out of stock!!??
Thanks
T
Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Inzane (or anyone) can you post a copy of the instructions for the Out Tuned Ball Diff for F104 as mine has come with NO instructions

Cheers
Lee

The new 3Racing diff makes changing tires and diff adjustments a breeze. No more disassembling - just turn the inside alu ring for tightening/loosening the diff.
You will need to shorten the original diff axle or use a F104 shaft - the diff fits both F1-09 and F104.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Anyone know who stocks the side "tweak" springs for the 109?? 3 racing is out.
T
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by timmig
Anyone know who stocks the side "tweak" springs for the 109?? 3 racing is out.
T
www(dot)abe-racing(dot)com/f10906-center-mount-rolling-spring-smh-for-f109-p-4227.html?cPath=68

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.