Like Tree9Likes

3racing F109

Old 07-21-2012, 01:52 AM
  #1831  
Tech Regular
 
MarkBurgess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
Is anyone interested in using a side spring mod using Associated springs etc...

I couldn't get CRC stuff so did what I could with what I could get... seems to work
Done just that. Used Associated plastic spring mount and currently Associated Blue side springs. Works just fine indoors and out.
MarkBurgess is offline  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM
  #1832  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
GasGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tween a Rock & a Hard Place in Pa.
Posts: 1,279
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

where is the f113?
dug the 109 out of the corner and won --the b main
GasGod is offline  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 PM
  #1833  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you've never heard of
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
Done just that. Used Associated plastic spring mount and currently Associated Blue side springs. Works just fine indoors and out.
How are you finding it with the blue springs? how does it feel on the track?
ShadowAu is offline  
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 PM
  #1834  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,325
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

We have one F109 racer among a field of 20 - 26 cars. It is holding its own.

From our last Saturday race.



Finished 5th overall.



Source: F1 RC Cars
rccartips is offline  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
  #1835  
Tech Regular
 
MarkBurgess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
How are you finding it with the blue springs? how does it feel on the track?
Really good...both on carpet and tarmac. When the rear does slide on tarmac, it is pretty progressive.
MarkBurgess is offline  
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 AM
  #1836  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you've never heard of
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
Really good...both on carpet and tarmac. When the rear does slide on tarmac, it is pretty progressive.
I am still trying to understand how side springs affect the handling... I went straight to the AE Gold because I was trying to stop the pod collapsing to each side as it went around corners but now I am trying to change how the car transitions from corner entry to corner exit
ShadowAu is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
  #1837  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (64)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,267
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Anyone know if xray gears/diff rings will work on this car? I mean like the basic diff setup from their 1/12 car bolted on the F109.
PROMODVETTE is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
  #1838  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you've never heard of
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
Anyone know if xray gears/diff rings will work on this car? I mean like the basic diff setup from their 1/12 car bolted on the F109.
Simple answer is no...
ShadowAu is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
  #1839  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (64)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,267
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

simple answers are the best! thanks

on that note, are there an diff setups to switch to better than the one it comes with?

Last edited by PROMODVETTE; 07-31-2012 at 09:30 PM.
PROMODVETTE is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM
  #1840  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Tracy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 169
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
simple answers are the best! thanks

on that note, are there an diff setups to switch to better than the one it comes with?
You could try the 3racing out tuned ball diff OR the tamiya stock f104 diff, both for the f104, but you would need the f104 rear axle for it to work. The tamiya and 3 racing diffs allow you to change the rear tires without having to reset the diff every time like you do on the stock f109.
Tracy B is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
  #1841  
Tech Master
 
malcnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CHRISTCHURCH, NewZealand
Posts: 1,339
Default

Originally Posted by Tracy B View Post
You could try the 3racing out tuned ball diff OR the tamiya stock f104 diff, both for the f104, but you would need the f104 rear axle for it to work. The tamiya and 3 racing diffs allow you to change the rear tires without having to reset the diff every time like you do on the stock f109.
I wouldnt get the 3racing out tuned diff as it just doesnt feel as smooth as the Tamiya what ever you do and it just didnt tune right either and once I went Tamiya diff it was a different car..well F1
malcnz is offline  
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 AM
  #1842  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you've never heard of
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by malcnz View Post
I wouldnt get the 3racing out tuned diff as it just doesnt feel as smooth as the Tamiya what ever you do and it just didnt tune right either and once I went Tamiya diff it was a different car..well F1
Well that's one of those weird things as I've had the exact opposite experience ... the 3racing out tuned diff works brilliantly for me while the F104 Pro diff has been so problematic it finally went into the bin at my last race meeting

The only mod I would suggest for the out tuned is switching the alloy spacer for thrust washers... seems to work HEAPS better
ShadowAu is offline  
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
  #1843  
Tech Regular
 
MarkBurgess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom
Posts: 305
Default

The 3 Racing spur gear adaptor (actually just a delrin ring) means I can run 12th scale spur gears. Kimborough mostly, and I've made a 64dp spur last a summer season of outdoor racing on my F109.

I have also stuck with the F109 kit diff. Years of pan car racing means I can set it up quicky when I change wheels. And had not problem with diff feel or durability.

Mind you not tried some of the other options listed.
MarkBurgess is offline  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM
  #1844  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you've never heard of
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
The 3 Racing spur gear adaptor (actually just a delrin ring) means I can run 12th scale spur gears. Kimborough mostly, and I've made a 64dp spur last a summer season of outdoor racing on my F109
Actually I forgot about the little adapter ring when I was thinking about Xray spurs as I've switched to using the Kawada spurs so I can use the extra diff balls....

... but the xray diff rings still wouldn't fit as that is totally different to the 3racing/Tamiya rings

As an after thought which grease are most using on the diffs?... I am just not happy with the ones I am using at the moment (Tamiya and 3racing)
ShadowAu is offline  
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 PM
  #1845  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post

As an after thought which grease are most using on the diffs?... I am just not happy with the ones I am using at the moment (Tamiya and 3racing)
Still using the small tube of Associated Stealth grease I bought ages ago.
ijdod is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.