R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (67%+)
Default New to electric, need some advice

I watched a carpet race at my lhs the other night and I've got to get into the carpet scene. I know absolutely nothing about it but ready to finally learn. My price range is no more then $450. I do not want a rtr I made that mistake already in nitro offroad. I want to run 1/10 touring car I believe the class is 17.5 brushless. Don't get me wrong the guy driving the tc4 rtr I watched was having a great time rtr just isn't for me! So far the research I've done has led me to the xray t2r for 299 and the novak havoc spec 17.5 brushless combo for 149 at amain. Would both of these be good starting points? Or can somebody please make some recommendations? Again 450 is my limit reAlly don't want to be there but seems to be the least I can get by with. I already have the batteries so they don't need to be factored in. Yes they are nimh but I'd like an esc that works with lipo for the future. Any help I'd appreciate!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the T2R is hard to argue against in my opinion. All of the cool T2 009 features, but alot less $. I'm in the same boat, except that I'm looking to get into racing on asphalt, not carpet. You could try to get a used top of the line TC. It would same you some money that you could put toward Lipo and charger. Trust me once you use Lipo you'll never want to use Nimh again. You could for the most part get away with one lipo battery for a whole race day. Just charge it between heats and be ready to go. Try that with Nimh.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't overlook picking up a used car or even a roller. Check out the for sale section on this site. It's how I got started on a budget. Trust me, once you learn more you will want a different car for whatever the reasoning.

Don't forget to get ALL the rules for the class you want to race BEFORE you make any purchases. Can save you from getting the wrong stuff.
Tiger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger72 View Post
Don't overlook picking up a used car or even a roller. Check out the for sale section on this site. It's how I got started on a budget. Trust me, once you learn more you will want a different car for whatever the reasoning.

Don't forget to get ALL the rules for the class you want to race BEFORE you make any purchases. Can save you from getting the wrong stuff.
I'd like to add, that you should see what the other guys are running. You'll get setup tips, and possibly parts from them if you have the same car. And for someone who's starting out in a new class, you'll learn quicker.