Intermitent Motor Problem! HELP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intermitent Motor Problem! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Intermitent Motor Problem! HELP!

TC3--with Super rooster and 10T motor:

Motor runs, but after I stop/brake, it fails to start again. However, if I turn the rear wheels, the motor will then start.

Radio system seems to be okay as the steering servo works all the time. ANd once the motor is running, the throttle works (goes slow/fast) and can even reverse.

But then if I stop completely, the motor fails to go again, until I turn the wheels by hand. When the motor is stopped, it makes no noise even though the throttle is engaged.

ANy advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds like there may be a problem with the motor. I had a similar problem and discovered that if the winds aren't properly soldered to the armature, you have intermittent operation. Furthermore, improper assembly of the motor requires a physical movement of the arm to get the motor to start, hence moving the wheels by hand. My advise is to return the motor for another or repair the one you have now by sending it back to the manufacturer.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Sounds like there may be a problem with the motor. I had a similar problem and discovered that if the winds aren't properly soldered to the armature, you have intermittent operation. Furthermore, improper assembly of the motor requires a physical movement of the arm to get the motor to start, hence moving the wheels by hand. My advise is to return the motor for another or repair the one you have now by sending it back to the manufacturer.
Good advice. But I might add ,, checking the brushes.. to make sure there not haning up in the hoods.. and also if you run a 10t motor too long with out maint.. youll casuse damage to it.. and make sure you speedo..is able to handle the the turn motor your running or it will over heat and keep shutting off .. just a thought...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default IS Sparking Normal?

I should mention that when braking, the motor sparks inside, as seen through the openings for the brushes.

I can't recall my stock or 19T motors on my T3 trucks ever sparking, but then they never ran as fast as this TC3!!

So is sparking normal for these lower turn motors?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its normal
the 10 turn motor is turning way faster than the stock motors, takes more power to get the motor to stop!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Hung brush - cut the comm and replace the brushes and it should fix the problem. 10t's require alot more maintance then stock motors. If you get a hung brush, don't stay on power, if you do you could cook your motor. Sparking to a certain degree is normal for all motors, stock and mod.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Motor stops

Visually check what you can see of all three wire windings from the commutator to the winds and back again. Sounds like one is broken or disconnected so one pole of three on the armature is dead.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:24 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default springs

try checking the springs too. i had an identical problem the other day. The springs have lost their tension and could not press the brushes against the comm.Changing the brushes works for a while, due to the length of the new brushes. but found that i need to change the brushes again before i fully utilise the life of the brushes.hope this helps