Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Cup Racer vs. ABC Genetic

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Thumbs up HPI Cup Racer vs. ABC Genetic

Hello Guys, any thoughts between these two awesome chassis?
I really like the very detailed, realistic look of their Datsun 510 bodies.
Any advise would be very helpful. Like durability, handling, tuning options,
customer support etc. Can this chassis handle brushless and lipos?
Thanks in advance guys!
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer vs. ABC Genetic-hpi-cup-racer.jpg   HPI Cup Racer vs. ABC Genetic-hpi-cup-racer.jpg-510.jpg   HPI Cup Racer vs. ABC Genetic-abc-genetic-510.jpg   HPI Cup Racer vs. ABC Genetic-datsunbre.jpg  
Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Durability and part support are the two biggest factors. I havn't heard anything bad about HPI's cup racer. And the ABC Genetic is a rare car on the track. Unless you know where to get spare parts, easy. The Genetic could be a hard car to keep running, if you manage to brake something. The durability on either of these cars is a big question mark to me. I haven't heard enough of the bottom line details to side with one car, or the other.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The ABC cars are well supported by the importer,so unlike what Foxxrocket mentioned,you cant go wrong with that car.The HPI although from a reputable company,it been slow going as far as parts and hopups.Both cars will be prone to breakage from good encounters with barriers.Out of the box,the ABC seems a tad more capable.Atomic also has a new car which makes both these cars look like toys.Will probably be hard to find parts since its new to market.Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

....RC cars are toys...
Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

i heard from a fast cup racer driver that the abc has more factory support and more durable than the cup racer. and he almost bought my abc car from me but i decided to keep it.

i myself drive the abc, i have had it for over a month now and came out of retirement from 6 yrs..my driving skills needed to be polished and when i got the car it was used,so the set up on it wasnt to my liking...i have hit alot of barriers and got hacked around so many times the past month i been driving the abc car and i havent broken anything on the car. I have to say the abc car is very durable and factory support is top notch. as for parts they are everywhere now, well almost everywhere

dont get me wrong i think the cup racers are good also...but for the price and durability..i have to go with the abc. and out of the box they work!

which ever mini you decide to get,good luck....keep the mini class going!
Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andyh
....RC cars are toys...
LOL We forget so easily dont we Andy????
Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, this is very helpful!
Any videos for this two cars racing each other? Any suggestions where
to get these cars since my LHS does not carry these two models because
they're not that popular here yet.

And also somebody mention to wait for the new M-chassis from Atomic.
Any thoughts on this car? It looks really nice!
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer vs. ABC Genetic-atomic-m-series.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Thumbs up

we run the hpi cup racer here in austin. We have a class for these and it's sooooo much fun and it has alot of differant set ups and easy seting adjustments staight out of the box. It's a great car. There's lots of after marker parts at hot-racing, rcmall(rcmart), tsais, Hpi and ebay . Exotek is comming out with an aftermarket chassis for it too. Very sweet if i do say so my self. You can also run the HPI mini tires and bodies.There's a great forum on here for the car also.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by act2007
Hello Guys, any thoughts between these two awesome chassis?
I really like the very detailed, realistic look of their Datsun 510 bodies.
Any advise would be very helpful. Like durability, handling, tuning options,
customer support etc. Can this chassis handle brushless and lipos?
Thanks in advance guys!
We raced ours this weekend at our local club race. Three showed up 240z, 510, and a 911. 240z and 911 were running 19turn and lipo's were as the 510 was running a 9000 mamba turned way down. He has been through a few spur gears with the 9000. We were turning 17.8 to 18 second laps on the parking lot track and 17.5 touring cars were laying down 15.5 to 16 second laps. It took us a while to get the traction rolling out of them. I did not break anything and was upside down alot for the first qual.

They are durable cars and the local hobby show owner stocks replacement parts for them. It helps to have a hobby shop owner that is a racer too.

A 21.5 will probably find its way into mine soon, as far as lipo's I am running a 5000 hard case pack in mine, a little mod to the upper battery holder and a couple of zip ties it never came out.

A lot of the Tamiya Mini drvers were looking at getting them.

Fun class and car
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by act2007
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, this is very helpful!
Any videos for this two cars racing each other? Any suggestions where
to get these cars since my LHS does not carry these two models because
they're not that popular here yet.

And also somebody mention to wait for the new M-chassis from Atomic.
Any thoughts on this car? It looks really nice!
I saw one of these Atomic cars up close in person. Definitely looked like a force to be reckoned with. I haven't seen one in action yet (personally at least), but the tuning and adjustments available on this car are insane. I believe the person that owns the car (the car I saw in person) used Xray diffs in his!

Best part about the Atomic car is it is just as affordable as the HPI Cup Racer and the ABC Genetic. As far as parts support, I do not know.

ABC Hobby is also coming out with a belt driven version of their car. I saw some pictures on it that were in Japanese. But my main concern is the tuning ability on the car. The current ABC Genetic does not give you a whole lot.

The current ABC Genetic has a lot of slop out of the box, which is not my cup of tea. Even after shimming, slop finds a way to rear its ugly head into the car. I think the other complaint about the ABC Genetic is how easily the front and rear knuckles pop out from tapping a wall, even a click-trac wall. You would need to buy the upgrade front and rear knuckles for they do not pop out after light or hard bumps.

The HPI Cup Racer is definitely a great car. Lots of tuning adjustments, great parts support, and very fast car after it is setup. The only problem is the durability. But the cool part about the HPI Cup Racer is that there is an EXOTECH chassis available for this car. Makes the HPI Cup Racer even more awesome.

But for the price and support, can't go wrong with a ABC Hobby Genetic car. I hope their new car is better than the current one, with more tuning ability.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
thanks for having this thread, this helps promote the mini 4wd Class, you won't go wrong with any of these cars as long as its in a stock spec controlled races, I think the mini's, you can only push it so much then it looses it Fun Factor, some racers would like to make there mini run as fast as the TC Mod, just don't get it, why not just run a regular TC? any how Mini's are fun, ABC. HPI, Atomic and the New Active racing will bring back the fun in RC, scale racing, wallet friendly. and enjoyment.

Last edited by ppabalan; 10-26-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

I have had my cup racer for over a month now and i love the thing. havent had any issues with it.

it is easy to tune and set up..