R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2004, 09:08 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
I would not look for Associated to make any type of changes real soon,why change when your car is still winning?The problem with alot of the exotic touring cars is they are put into production before they are fully tested(thats just my opinion)Alot of these cars have a few problems,Alex R2 cuda's like to eat the spur gears(you can fix this "little" problem,but at a cost)at over $300 you should not have to fix anything!The evo 3 likes to munch the ring gear on the front one way(you can also fix this but it's going to cost you also)I still think that all touring cars have problems ,some are just harder to ignore than other's.The biggest problem I had with the TC-3 was when I did make a "driver" error,it cost's..as in broken parts. For stock and 19 turn racing it's just hard to beat the TC-3,and latter on when you want something a little tricker,get a chassis kit from BMI or warpspeed or IRS,their is a ton of aftermarket support for the TC-3 as well.
I used to run a TC3 and it really deserves the name Tricycle... i'd rather fix a spur eating problem than to have to replace more expensive, more numerous parts broken by hits that shouldn't have broken them. I like the more exotic looks of the imports and parts aren't a problem with the internet. If I had to run a car based on lhs support, i'd be running a tmax on carpet.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I guess it's to each his own,I hated my alex R2,I thought it was over rated,right now I have been racing a T1R,I'm happy with it for the most part,It all comes down to race what you want to race,every car has it's good points and bad ones,if you can find a car that fits your style of driving,cool,dont let anyone talk you out of it,it's your choice,for me the R2 was not a car I was happy with,unless your in the top 5% you race for fun.If your allways working on your car because it's broken,that's not fun,well at least for me it's not.Parts support for me and the cars I run have at times been a small problem,but you carry the parts you need and you will be ok.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:46 PM   #33
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

I think we all migth forget sometimes a person can only purchase what they can find low cost parts which are easy to get for example the TC3, the TC3 is a good car but everyone will always say that their car is better. as for buying a RTR, that is not a bad thing to do, but always remenber to read the direction and or manual becuase at some point you will need to learn how to tear it down and rebuild it becuase all parts break. It does not matter if you drive a TC3, Losi, X-ray, Tamiya, RcLab, HPI or Yokomo. Drive what you want to drive and have fun. Having fun is all that matters @ the end of the day no matter if you are 1st in the AAA main or 7th in Z main.
RedBullRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:44 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Drive what you enjoy working on. If you like spending time preparing your car, then you will most probably do the required preparation every time and invariably finish more races.

I personally have a thing for Losi's, simply because thats what I started with, but I know that they're easy to work on...
Andrew_XXXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:11 AM   #35
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I have done very well on high-grip carpet, and low grip asphault with the Rayspeed Yokomo. I have a feeling that with the release of the CGM car, it will be even better. Check out Speedtech's site, they have most of the cars you're interested in with some info on each, and a great price on parts.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:24 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Ike
......Thanks to all those that have added input, I feel much more confident buying the tried and true TC3 now.

Ike
True !!!! I'm beating Yrokomo's, Tamiya Evo3's and others with my veteran Pro2. That's an extra bonus to the feeling of victory, to know you beat the hitech stuff.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:19 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

I did noticed the other day at the track that some people with the exotic cars(non Losi or AE) seem to have either the Losi or AE on hand for a back up in case they don't have parts for the other car. If you want to stick with your exotic buy two complete kits and the usual spare parts.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:30 AM   #38
Tech Adept

I think the TC3 has been out for about 4 years now. There was a recent rumor (denied completely by AE) that the TC4 was coming out. The TC3 is still on top, why make any major changes to it?

The only modifications that the TC3 NEEDS are the battery mod to move the batteries closer to the shaft and the addition of the RPM front bumper and the BRP nerf wings. If there is any truth to the TC4 rumor, I hope that it is merely the introduction of these changes as part of the kit from the factory. That would be more of a TC3.5 though.

The bumper and nerf wings will nearly eliminate the broken suspension problems for all but the most serious incidents. BRP has a Kydex bumper that bolts on top of the stock AE bumper. It helps a great deal also, but the RPM is more impact absorbing.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:06 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by gotpez
I think the TC3 has been out for about 4 years now. There was a recent rumor (denied completely by AE) that the TC4 was coming out. The TC3 is still on top, why make any major changes to it?

The only modifications that the TC3 NEEDS are the battery mod to move the batteries closer to the shaft and the addition of the RPM front bumper and the BRP nerf wings. If there is any truth to the TC4 rumor, I hope that it is merely the introduction of these changes as part of the kit from the factory. That would be more of a TC3.5 though.

The bumper and nerf wings will nearly eliminate the broken suspension problems for all but the most serious incidents. BRP has a Kydex bumper that bolts on top of the stock AE bumper. It helps a great deal also, but the RPM is more impact absorbing.
Or you can just buy a car that's pretty much bulletproof out of the box without doing all this. I go for value mostly and having to buy a 260 dollar kit and then having to chop it up to get it to work is not a plus in my book. Why AE didn't come out with an upgraded chassis that moves the batteries closer to center and address the ntc3 steering rack mod is foolish.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by gotpez

For shame, for shame. You forgot the addition of the RUBBERNECK RACING foam bumper.

Being a long time 12th scaler, I never really had an interest in TC racing. Too many parts, too many cells, to go no faster, over a race distance of three less minutes. I gave it a try with a Schumacher SST (original saddle pack car), then a TC-3 on asphalt with foams. What I discovered was race cars that needed almost constant attention to keep performing well, and the TC-3 was frail at best. It was definitely fast, but it wasn't as consistant as I'd like a car to be. So I'd pretty much resigned myself to running TC on a special event only basis. Then I was offered a deal on an X-Ray which I simply couldn't pass up, and bingo..... a consistent, durable, extremely competitive car, that really required very little in the way of hop-ups. One pully set, and a lowered front shock tower were all I had to add, aside from the car saving addition of a Rubberneck Racing foam bumper. I ran the car for 16 weeks outside, and it's been run quite a bit indoors on carpet as well. My broken parts total is: 3 C-hubs, one steering block, and one upper bumper brace in probably 28 or so race weekends. I've been very satisfied with it. Neither of the shops I race at carry parts for the car. I routinely beat the TC-3's of drivers on my level, but I'm also occasionally beaten by drivers better than me that drive TC-3's, and Losi's and X-Rays. All the current crop of cars are competitive, buy based on what you like. Ordering parts is no big deal, just stock up on the "essentials" and you should be fine.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you take the last couple big races, there is no dominate chassis. The top 5 are usually the same drivers, but the car is different. They are close enough that lot's of practice with the car you like is the best. I stick with Losi for comfort. I know the car and can predict what it will do.

Have fun!!!
jc510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 PM   #42
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think I could have asked should I buy a Saab or a Toyota and the answers would have been about the same Thanks for all the replys, was certainly interesting hearing the arguments from both sides of the fence.

Ike
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote