R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #736
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

also what do you guys think of the jl10 drift spec ? Looks interesting with its dual belt design and mid mounted motor:

www3 . towerhobbies. com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARVV
NYC Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #737
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Diesel View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up this kit just to have fun with. I'm gonna be running a 3300kv brushless setup that came out of a himata ? that I bought for my girl, the motor is sweet though pushing the car to around 55 on 3S. My question is are the diffs in the OFNA hold up to extended brushless use or am I better off upgrading from the beginning ? Thanks for the help.
Keep an eye on the diffs for sure. You might be better off getting a spool for the front from the get go. My front diff got to the point where it would loosen considerably after every qualifier. And in the class I've set the car up for we're running mild, brushed motors! So in an emergency trackside repair, I've pretty much turned the front diff into a spool by removing the tensioner spring, cranking down on the bolt and using plenty of thread lock on the nut. LOL...

On another note, it's setup so it's easy to drive by my seven year old son. He won the Novice class with it the last time out! But my JL10e does have quite a few miles on it. It's pretty noisy on the track now, so I think it's time to replace some bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Diesel View Post
also what do you guys think of the jl10 drift spec ? Looks interesting with its dual belt design and mid mounted motor:

www3 . towerhobbies. com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARVV
I'm pretty sure the JL10e drift version is a re-hash of the old Ofna OB4 from about 12 years ago. There is a guy in our club who has a few of them. He brings one out every now and again and is still pretty competitive in our GT class with it!
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #738
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, thanks for the info Rodarbal. I will probably not purchase a full blown 5.5T setup then, or if I do I'll only run it on 2s. I'lll take a look into the spool's like you mentioned. Are there any other upgrades that you would recommend for fast street use ?

I couldn't decide between the drift and sedan so I told my LHS to order both

What kind of FDR would I be looking at to to achieve a top speed of around 50mph on a 2S running a 6000KV motor ? I think a 23 tooth pinion with the stock spur gear but I'm not to good at equating the gearing ( the formula is spur/pinion x 2.5 right ? I'm getting 8.9, I thought higher ratio meant lower top speed...)

Thanks for any and all help, this thread is priceless.
NYC Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #739
Tech Fanatic

Sure thing. IMO, anything over 30 mph is pretty darn fast, but that's coming from a guy whose on-road cars see nothing but the track. So 50 mph is ballistic, but not unobtainable. So let's figure this out using a little math:

Tire diameter: 2.5", so circumference is pi*d = 7.85"
This means for each tire rotation, you cover 0.000123958 miles

Motor: 6000kV
On a 2S LiPo, that's 6000*7.4V = 44400 RPM

Sounds like you've got an 82t spur. With the 23t pinion, you are correct in that the FDR = 8.91

So taking your 44400 RPM / 8.91 FDR means your tires are making 4981 rotations per min. So...

4981 Wheel RPM * 0.000123958 miles/revolution = 0.617 Miles per Minute

So multiply this by 60 and you get 37 MPH theoretically. Going up to a 31t pinion will give a 6.6 FDR and should land you right around 50 mph with that crazy motor on 2S! Also, unless you're running belted tires, you can expect them to balloon a bit, so you're probably going to go even faster.

Not sure about any other mods to recommend. Front CVDs are an absolute must. I'm also considering aluminum C-carriers (my son broke yet another one yesterday). I also have Associated battery cups, but otherwise, our JL10e is pretty stock. I've got it geared with a 65t spur and 36t pinion for a 4.51 FDR. The spec brushed motor we run in the GT class is awfully slow. The cars in this class are lucky if they see 25 mph.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #740
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

When taking a sharp right corner the right rear wheel always picks up off the ground and spins my car out. What do I need to do to stop this from happening? (I have my car set up for VTA)
Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #741
Tech Fanatic

Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #742
Tech Fanatic

Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #743
Tech Adept

Check the hinge pins for a bind, check the shocks for a bind, check the rear droop with shocks on and off. (make sure it does not change)
D Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #744
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi All,

Something new arrived today

In stock here;
http://www.exotekracing.com/jl10x-li...for-ofna-jl10/

http://www.exotekracing.com/product_...54935_zoom.JPG

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #745
Tech Fanatic

Thanks D starks

Here's a pic of my VTA JL10e

Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #746
Tech Fanatic

Very nice Trailblazer!

I've got issues with snap oversteer, although it doesn't seem like it's the same characteristics as yours. Our weekly temp track is run on asphalt and there happens to be a little dip going into a sweeper. Whenever I it it with the JL10e it bottoms and spins. No problems whatsoever with my TC3. I like the handling everywhere else on the track, but next time out I'm going to bump up the spring rates front and rear to see if this helps matters.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #747
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone. I just picked up a JL10e with a Hobbywing 35a ESC and 4300k brushless motor. I have some 2s lipos coming my way from Hobbypartz.

It may be a sin to say but I bought this car with the intentions of drifting it with some friends here and there. Currently for fun I put electrical tape on the stock rubber wheels and have a 7.2 nimh battery. It slides well.

I am trying to get the most out of this car. I am assuming by putting in a 2 way or locker diff of some sort upfront would be best. What options do I have? does the "drift" version bolt in? Also saw the ABC 1/12 ones but those are a bit out of my price range for now.

Has anyone figured out how to get more steering angle from this car?

Also the battery tie down is a joke. I just leave it unbolted for now since it slides, doesnt race lol. I have been looking at the 3racing velcro straps with the plastic cups built in.

Any opinions on those? I would prefer not to drill the chassis. I wanted something that looked better than the Associated cup posted pages back.

Anyways any other tips to get my JL10e better for some sliding with friends. Nothing is super competitive, but I didnt want to follow them and get TC3/4s... lol

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 01-12-2012 at 11:58 PM.
RedPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #748
Tech Rookie

Default New OFNA jl10e

hey all just got the jl10e as my next car to race in the stock touring class, i have a 17.5 brushless and 2s lipo, with the stock gearing it just doesn't have any power band at all, any advice on good gearing options??
m40hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #749
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m40hockey View Post
hey all just got the jl10e as my next car to race in the stock touring class, i have a 17.5 brushless and 2s lipo, with the stock gearing it just doesn't have any power band at all, any advice on good gearing options??
Gear it to the moon! lol... actually the guys who run 17.5 here all run a 4.5 FDR. If you're running 48 pitch gears, a 65 tooth spur and 36 tooth pinion will get you there.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #750
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
Has anyone figured out how to get more steering angle from this car?

Also the battery tie down is a joke. I just leave it unbolted for now since it slides, doesnt race lol. I have been looking at the 3racing velcro straps with the plastic cups built in.

Any opinions on those? I would prefer not to drill the chassis. I wanted something that looked better than the Associated cup posted pages back.
I'm using associated battery cups but did a cleaner install. if I wasn't using them I'd be using strapping tape.

don't know about adding more steering angle since I'm not drifting with this car.

I did lock the front different though. there is a spool available but I haven't seen it in stock at nitro house for some time.