R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #631
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasracer View Post
Sorry but can someone tell me what brand of spur gear fits this puppy? The parts list I see on nitrohouse only list the stock 82 unit.

Thanks again!
I'm currently running a 65T spur with a 35T pinion (48P) for a 4.64FD. Spur is from HPI. I'm probably going to try a 36T pinion before too long. Some of the guys in the class are really pulling on me in the back stretch!
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #632
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
I'm currently running a 65T spur with a 35T pinion (48P) for a 4.64FD. Spur is from HPI. I'm probably going to try a 36T pinion before too long. Some of the guys in the class are really pulling on me in the back stretch!
Don't happen to know the part number on that spur gear do you or maybe the HPI car that it is normally used in?
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #633
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is the spur I use:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Associated-TC5

As far as spares, I'd say get both, they are cheap. In RC, it's always the part you don't have that breaks.

Diff balls:
Stock is fine, but I'm not that picky about my diffs. Up to you.

One thing to watch: The diff screw is not all that strong, I've popped the head off a couple of them. See: http://www.rctech.net/forum/8768822-post601.html
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #634
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Don't happen to know the part number on that spur gear do you or maybe the HPI car that it is normally used in?
No, unfortunately I don't. I'll check the next time I'm in my local hobby shop. I was running a 69T for a while, but I didn't have any bigger pinions and neither did the shop.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #635
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to builthatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael View Post
This is the spur I use:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Associated-TC5

As far as spares, I'd say get both, they are cheap. In RC, it's always the part you don't have that breaks.

Diff balls:
Stock is fine, but I'm not that picky about my diffs. Up to you.

One thing to watch: The diff screw is not all that strong, I've popped the head off a couple of them. See: http://www.rctech.net/forum/8768822-post601.html
thanks for the reply!

anybody have input on dampers i can use that are more robust than the stockers and are adjustable?
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #636
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
thanks for the reply!

anybody have input on dampers i can use that are more robust than the stockers and are adjustable?
Here is a link:

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Hop-Up...duct_info.html
D Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #637
Tech Initiate

Smile

Quote:
No, unfortunately I don't. I'll check the next time I'm in my local hobby shop. I was running a 69T for a while, but I didn't have any bigger pinions and neither did the shop.
Thanks, I found a 72 and 65 at the LHS so I am good. Trying out the 72 tomorrow, man what a pain to change out the spur gear on this puppy! Darn near have to take the entire car apart. At least with the stock 82 out of the way, the smaller gears go in a bit easier. Did the front shocks for the first time, that took a bit of work to get the air out of them, but figured it out pretty quick. Made some other suspension changes but have a question about that, is there anyway to modify the ride height other than changing the shock position? That's what I ended up doing as the butt-end was dragging and causing a problem coming out of corners. Helped the car a bunch but it's looking like I lost some shock adjustment if this was the right thing to do.

Got the steering servo right finally but still not real happy with that silly servo saver. Anyone do a mod to put a mini-servo in place with direct links? Getting rid of the stock servo saver looks like a worthwhile plan. And lastly ended up ditching the stock battery racks, cut the mounting holes open a bit and went with nylon wire ties to hold the battery. We'll see how that holds up tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #638
Tech Initiate

Default The good and bad...

Got a chance to try out my new combo at lunch time today - not a great surface certainly a bit dirty but none the less it is where I have been running the car so good A-B-A stuff.

The 72 spur made a world of difference, car is flying now but I am sure there's more left, so need to get my driving sharpened up some before taking it up another notch. I am happy with it right now as speed is good and I can carry a lot it through the corner with the changes I made to the suspension. The camber was off in my opinion so I reduced front and back to about 1.5 in the front and 1.0 in the rear. Car was very controllable now. Also changed the toe-in on the front. I know a lot of people go for the toe-out bit but the car darted on me too much - toe-in just seems to fit my driving style. I made about 25-28 laps with the car on our lot and it was really smooth given the lot condition and was very predictable.

Now for the bad, the nylon strap stuff didn't cut it - in fact I tried them twice and once they were nicked it didn't take long for them to break. So, I have another idea based on the Associated battery cups that I have read about here being used. On the rear suspension, it appears from what I can tell that there is no toe adjustment on this car - it looks like the toe-in is built into the lower arms - is that correct? The next thing is I put together a set of the VTA spec tires and rims, but I am not so sure I have them mounted up right. The outer portion of the tire on some of them does not seem to fit equally around the rim. I am letting them sit for a day or so before gluing them and also need to know if you glue front and back?

On another related subject, I was looking through a listing of Associated parts and it hit me that more than a few Associated pieces appear to be the same components in our cars. Just a couple that caught my eye are the driveshaft and the motor mount/motor adjustment cam setup. Was the Ofna simply built out of other parts mounted to a different chassis plate layout? If so, that's cool as it would make obtaining parts a lot easier. Also hearing from a friend that runs a HPI car that he spoke directly to HPI and that because of the damage in Japan a lot of part orders are now on back-order status. He needs belts to get his car going again and is having a hard time finding replacements.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #639
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
thanks for the reply!

Tamiya TRF fluorine coated dampers work well (TAM-53571). Minor modification needed to extend the mounting points - to allow for proper suspension arm movement.

Last edited by macavant; 04-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.
macavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #640
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

I have two JL10E's I want to trade.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...2-jl10-es.html
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #641
Tech Initiate

Default A TC4 in Disguise?

In my previous post I alluded to the fact that the car appears to carry a lot of parts that are very much like the ones I see for Associated. Am I speaking out of turn here as the total silence on this is surreal?

Anyhow after taking a serious and long look at the TC4 at my LHS, I am just about positive that this car is basically a FT TC4 in disguise. I have one coming so it will be interesting to see the differences between the cars, I'm guessing those differences will be fairly limited.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #642
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
In my previous post I alluded to the fact that the car appears to carry a lot of parts that are very much like the ones I see for Associated. Am I speaking out of turn here as the total silence on this is surreal?

Anyhow after taking a serious and long look at the TC4 at my LHS, I am just about positive that this car is basically a FT TC4 in disguise. I have one coming so it will be interesting to see the differences between the cars, I'm guessing those differences will be fairly limited.
No, I have both a TC3 (very similar to the TC4) and a JL10e. Not much are directly interchangeable. A lot of the shaft-driven cars that are out there have similar designs, but the parts aren't interchangeable.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #643
Tech Initiate

Quote:
No, I have both a TC3 (very similar to the TC4) and a JL10e. Not much are directly interchangeable. A lot of the shaft-driven cars that are out there have similar designs, but the parts aren't interchangeable.
Okay, thanks for the reply. Guess I hoping a bit too much!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #644
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

need help gearing for FDR of 5.2
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #645
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosaics12 View Post
need help gearing for FDR of 5.2