R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to JATOdriver
Default RC10R5 for parking lot racing????

i have been considering getting a RC10R5 to race, but we race in a EXTREEMLY smooth church parking lot, and i was wondering if anyone has one of these cars, and if so how do they react to unprepaired parking lot racing, is it werth the cash. I'v driven one on an indoor carpet track and loved it, i just dont want to shell out $250 on a kit and it not be what i need.
Right now i run a TC3, and ever sence i drove the one on carpet in florida iv been wanting one. Any info will be much appreciated
Thanks
Daniel
Old 07-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATOdriver View Post
i have been considering getting a RC10R5 to race, but we race in a EXTREEMLY smooth church parking lot, and i was wondering if anyone has one of these cars, and if so how do they react to unprepaired parking lot racing, is it werth the cash. I'v driven one on an indoor carpet track and loved it, i just dont want to shell out $250 on a kit and it not be what i need.
Right now i run a TC3, and ever sence i drove the one on carpet in florida iv been wanting one. Any info will be much appreciated
Thanks
Daniel
Based on my experience using foams with F1s and Pro-Ten; an outdoor prepped layout will have a groove from where a track additive such as VHT, cola, or sugar water has been added. If there was dust or dirt outside the groove and I drove through it, my foams were affected for one or two laps leading to inconsistent handling. However, it was not necessarily undrivable. A swept layout without a track additive would behave the same way only with less traction. The use of tire additives is a must and you don't want to leave the tires wet so rub it out. On higher temperature or dusty tracks, a high PF (30-40) suntan lotion worked better than a rc tire softener such as paragon.
Tired Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Tech Champion

The first question you should be asking is not how well it will work in a parking lot...the question you should be asking is do they run that class at the race? If not you are better off getting a car of the same type of class that they do run. If they do run a WGT class at the race everyone in that class will be fighting the same issues in terms of traction. Pan cars in general are more sensitive to surface conditions then other cars. Most parking lots will need some amount of prep work for them to have enough grip. Some lots will require more than others. Sealed asphalt will often need a traction additive sprayed on the surface or the cars will have no traction.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to traper285 Send a message via Yahoo to traper285

The 10R5 is a great asphalt car. We run a 13.5 spec class here at my local track. The track is prepped but they only use sugar water for traction. I run Paragon Special FX full on the front and rear and a 75mm roll out on our track. How ever that is because our track is huge. If your local club runs a WGT class and you like the 10R5 id say get one.

traper285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Tech Addict

thanks for the info guys, they do run the class i was kinda refuring to the RC10R5 itself, as im a AE guy , they have a couple guys running the XRAY X10's and they handle ok but when i drove that RC10R5 on carpet i fell in love with the way it drove and handled, i guess i should have asked the question a diffrent way. Has anyony had any experiance with this car on a parking lot track?
A buddy of mine owns a store and we were talking about making a track behind it on the conkrete slab, its a pretty big slab, my question is would the RC10R5 be better on prepped conkrete or preped asphault, sorry for the elementry questions but im new to the TC scene much less the foam aspect of it, as i have never run foam, any input is greatly appreciated
Thanks ahead of time.
Daniel
Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I think the traction will be about the same. How ever i am having an issue with getting enough rear traction but i think its do to a shock weight problem in the center shock.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Tech Addict

what type of motor are you runnig on it, 13.5?, and what batteries, 1s lipo or 4cell NiMH
Old 07-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I am running a 13.5 Fantom motor with a Lrp Sphere comp esc. 4cell 4600 NiMh and a Futaba 9650 servo. Gearing with full size 60mm uncut tires is 88 spur and a 35 tooth pinion for a roll out of about 75 mm or 3 inches. Motor comes off the track at about 150 esc is barely warm. I am going to try and use 40wt oil in the center shock. The kit instructions are pretty much from the 12R5 and that uses 30 wt in both shocks. I have noticed that most of the driver setup sheets are calling for 40 wt oil in the center shock and the red kit spring. My ride height is at 5.5 mm.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATOdriver View Post
thanks for the info guys, they do run the class i was kinda refuring to the RC10R5 itself, as im a AE guy , they have a couple guys running the XRAY X10's and they handle ok but when i drove that RC10R5 on carpet i fell in love with the way it drove and handled, i guess i should have asked the question a diffrent way. Has anyony had any experiance with this car on a parking lot track?
A buddy of mine owns a store and we were talking about making a track behind it on the conkrete slab, its a pretty big slab, my question is would the RC10R5 be better on prepped conkrete or preped asphault, sorry for the elementry questions but im new to the TC scene much less the foam aspect of it, as i have never run foam, any input is greatly appreciated
Thanks ahead of time.
Daniel
I have raced my RC10R5 in parking lot tracks before and it worked fine. Wasn't really smooth asphalt, and the only prep to the track was the wind blowing I used Jaco WGT spec foams and used traction compound. Car was fast. If you all are using a open tire rule, then just try out other shore foams till your happy. Concrete actually has pretty good traction using foams depending on what grade it is. If it is slightly rough grade, you shouldn't even need traction compound. If its as smooth as a garage floor I don't think you would be able to get much traction no matter what you did. Only thing about the concrete is you and your friend will burn down tires pretty fast. But they don't cost much so have fun
Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The best place to post your question is here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rc10r5-23.html You may get a response from the number one man at Reedy Motors, Sean Cochran, who's a sponsored onroad driver for AE.

My experience is carpet has more traction than black top which has more traction than concrete. If you're talking about that feeling of driving a car that reacts quickly and effortlessly while still being in control vs how a sedan handles then you'll feel that on any of these surfaces mentioned.
Tired Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traper285 View Post
I think the traction will be about the same. How ever i am having an issue with getting enough rear traction but i think its do to a shock weight problem in the center shock.
If you can move the front of the shock up on the mount, that'll add some rear grip but it'll also make the car push some as it takes away steering.

To the OP; while I have no experience with the 10r5 we run pancar oval here on an unpreped very rough uneven p-lot. If your track is sticking to the WGT rules on the spec tire I suspect that you will struggle with grip unless your running a 17.5 or 21.5. If you can run any tire then that opens the door to a bunch of differnt compounds that will grip better. Running on carpet is completely different than running on asphalt, most of the time your trying to shed grip on carpet and trying to find grip on unpreped asphalt

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Thanks Chris i think ill try changing the shock oil wt first then try the shock position on the mount. The problem i am having with the rear is a weight transfer to the rear when i am on throttle. I dont have this issue with the
12R5 and i am running the kit setup on it. Bye the way the body on my WGT is the Spec Skyline body from HPI. I think a Sophia body will be gracing it in the future.