R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

If you look at the IIC entries you can make the same argument that 1/12 is dead like you say TC foam is dead. 35 13.5 foams at the nats, 15 at vegas, about half the entries, At the nats there were 73 stock 1/12, at vegas only 30, still about half. Certainly 1/12 is not dead. For the nats there were also the same amount of 13.5 rubber and 13.5 foam 35-40ish. I don't think we can make the comparison yet. I think there are other factors going on of why entries in general are down.

Are there more than 5 guys in any of the classes that are from the east coast where foam tires are most popular? I tend to doubt it. I think the foam entries are down A, The asphalt nats is on the east coast less than a month away from vegas, B in this day on the east coast/midwest more jobs have been lost in the last year compared to any other part of the country and people have less money to travel.

Just my opinion. We'll know more when we have the Halloween race.

Paul
Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #77
Tech Champion

Unless you have travelled a lot in your r/c years, it's a bit biased to say foam, or any other class is dying.

In the UK, foam died quite a few years ago for the majority of clubs.

But, I still have the chance to race it at one club indoors, where it is the preferred and quicker tyre.

I would be 99.9% sure of saying that in the USA sedan foam classes are much, much more alive than the UK!

Hence there are still companys such as XRay developing cars specifically for foam use...

Foam... Dying maybe, but not dead!...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #78
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
VTA shouldn't be included at serious big races for fear laughter might break out on the drivers stand!
what you mean...?...somebody might be having fun playing with toy cars...well thats just wrong!...glad I am so serious about racing my TCR that if I needed a class to enjoy and relax that VTA and RCGT arent allowed at "BIG" races...lol...

VTA/RCGT are here to stay..rather at big events or not....

the real debate is rubber vs. foam...we do rubber outside and foam inside except on rain days or big races indoors....the only problem I have with foam is that its not apealling to newbies....its one thing to get a tc to handle correctly, and a whole other to get tires constantly to act right..and of course the $$$$$$ to stay consitant...the draw back to rubber is that what Ive heard is that it tears up the carpet...now if your track only runs rubber tire it doesnt matter...but its a head-ache for the foam guys....

the head of all the big races need to limit the classes true, but they need to make the ultimate goal in turn-out...whats going to get 700 entries back at the Birds....well if you factor the $$$$$$ its more appealing to the average JOE to go knowing a set(or 2) of rubber tires is going to last alot longer than 10 sets of foam....period..

we all want on-road on top of the r/c world...for the to happen we have to get the attention of the newbie and show him/her that on-road is the pooh, and not show that you have to be able to drop $$$$$$ all the time to compete....
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
TC Foam died completely a while back.
Foam TC was once what almost everyone ran in continental US and Canada.

Now rubber tires seem to be a lot more common, and foam is disappearing, not terribly quickly, but it still isn't as popular as it once was. I know almost every club up here, all they ran was Foam tire, then a local series decided to switch to rubber, and BOOM. Every club switched to predominantly Rubber TC classes.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #80
Tech Champion

Fair comment Danny. I guess every area/state etc has it's preferred tyre

Logic for me is, big event = draws in many different racers and the different stigma/attributes of each class.

i'm not anti-rubber, or anti foam, or anti anything

As long as the racers are having a good time and it is competitive, it's all that matters...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #81
Tech Champion

Quote:
Foam TC was once what almost everyone ran in continental US and Canada.

Now rubber tires seem to be a lot more common, and foam is disappearing, not terribly quickly, but it still isn't as popular as it once was. I know almost every club up here, all they ran was Foam tire, then a local series decided to switch to rubber, and BOOM. Every club switched to predominantly Rubber TC classes.
but why did they switch?...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #82
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
but why did they switch?...
Running a spec rubber tire was a way to make sure everyone had the same chance at winning.
You wouldn't have guys bringing a case of tires to a race weekend. Plus, with the Jaco Blues you can run for months after the race with the same set. Just cheaper for everyone.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Rubber Stock - 17.5/2S
Rubber Mod - 10.5/2S
1/12 Stock - 17.5/1S
1/12 Mod - 10.5/1S
WGT - 13.5/1S
VTA - 21.5/2S
F1 - 13.5/1S
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #84
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
As long as the racers are having a good time and it is competitive, it's all that matters...
That's exactly why we should have either foam or rubber, not both. It makes it more competitive.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Getting back the the original question here are my picks:

Touring Rubber Sportsman 17.5
Touring Rubber 13.5
World GT 1S 13.5
GTP Amateur 17.5
GTP Pro Mod
Amateur foam 17.5 motors
Pro Foam (something slower than current mod)
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #86
Tech Master

Quote:
That's exactly why we should have either foam or rubber, not both. It makes it more competitive.
Up until the point where racers grow tired of being 4 laps off the pace and in the Q main, then they go make another class.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #87
Tech Champion

thank you...thats the same answer I get all across the country...money plays a part into our fun...doesnt matter if you race r/c cars or play at the lake on the boat....if you are hit with a financial loss you will cut back on your fun to make sure everuthing else is done first...

thats why Im a fan of the Jaco blues as a spec tire across the board...17.5 tcr on spec tires is a better combo for racers looking to cut a little off the top of their budget....think of it this way...if no one ran foams..PERIOD..who would it really hurt...all good foam guys can go rubber with no lose...but all good rubber tire guys cant go foam without $$$$$$$....you guys have done this alot longer than me...Ive always ran dirt...but its all on-road love now..just figure it out so we all will know..JOES and PROS.... what is needed to make it to the "BIG" events...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #88
Tech Elite

No votes for a Slash class?
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #89
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
thank you...thats the same answer I get all across the country...money plays a part into our fun...doesnt matter if you race r/c cars or play at the lake on the boat....if you are hit with a financial loss you will cut back on your fun to make sure everuthing else is done first...

thats why Im a fan of the Jaco blues as a spec tire across the board...17.5 tcr on spec tires is a better combo for racers looking to cut a little off the top of their budget....think of it this way...if no one ran foams..PERIOD..who would it really hurt...all good foam guys can go rubber with no lose...but all good rubber tire guys cant go foam without $$$$$$$....you guys have done this alot longer than me...Ive always ran dirt...but its all on-road love now..just figure it out so we all will know..JOES and PROS.... what is needed to make it to the "BIG" events...
Total agree. It's the same reason Brushed motors have been replaced with Brushless and NiMH batteries have been replaced with Lipo.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #90
Tech Master

What great responses - WOW... thanks. Awesome reading. Now if someone was good with a spreadsheet it would be fun to see a common ground.
RCThunder is offline   Reply With Quote