Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I want to beat Chicky
Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nash, although you're talking about 3 or more classes, 1/8, 235, and TC are 3 different cars. Most of the conversation here has been centered around different versions of the same car, a 4 wheel drive electric touring car.

Comparing costs has become invalid, since people will spend whatever based on what they want to do, not what they can afford. I know a handful of people here on Long Island who's first venture into RC was 1/5 scale!

The situation with carpet on road is far more complex. You have so many people who want so many different things, it's impossible to have anyone agree on anything! You could start a 20 page argument just based on foam versus rubber tires (right, Timmay?).
Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by energyracing
I want to beat Chicky

Thats easy..Take away his stool........
Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think people just need to take a long look at the state on onroad racing in the US. With all the bickering and whining about classes, tires, and egos we lost what the hobby is. We lost the true reason we race, why we put in the time. We lost thrill of competition. Everybody wants more classes more seperation more chances to make a main or win. Racing isnt meant to have any joe blow be a national champion. Its meant to run with the best and sort it out on the track. Find out whos the best on that day. I remember when there were 350 plus entries at big races. That rarley happens now because all the seperation. I want it to be like 5 years ago. i want to get beat by chickey, paul l., blackstock, josh, cuffs, etc. it makes it more important to work on cars and practice. gives more pride and accomplishment to make a main or win. i want 13.5 stock/10.5 mod. mod guys drop the egos and drop to 10.5. mods a joke as it stands. i can send in an enrty form and make the A in mod tc. there is no pride in that. stock guys need to man up and run together again. changes need to be made, do it or watch it end. up to us, no excuses
Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you want to see how valid the point is, setup a national event on carpet with rubber mod, foam mod and 12th mod. See how many people rush to attend. My guess is that the attendance will not be the best, with most teams sending their mod teams and select few drivers that are competitive in super stock. Then there will be the few privateer stragglers to fill the back of the field.

My feeling is that there is the few that need to have their own class to have a chance to win. I honestly believe that those people are actually pretty sparce.

However, you also have those that know they cannot control a car at those speeds, or don't feel like doing a complete tear down and re-build between each run. Some know they can compete at the top level, only if they had the backing of the manufacturers in some capacity.

This leads to the question of why is there a super stock class (or intermediate)? At first the super stock class was intended for the amateurs to be able to move up and compete with the mod drivers. This was so they could test their chops against the best. However, spec class racing became highly competitive, and team supported. Super stock became the class where mod drivers could go to get extra track time.

Is there really too many classes? Think of SCCA and even local grass roots short track oval. Both types of racing have many divisions.

I think the real answer is that the promoter has to decide what divisions their national level event is going to showcase. NEGS is known to have only stock and super stock. IIC is known to only have 12th, WGT, sedan foam and rubber in various flavors. Birds has tons of everything.

Maybe it's time that promoters put their foot down and limited what classes/divisions they are going to run and not cave in to what the massive interweb junkies demand. Of whom most will not attend the race they are demand classes in.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

cant we all just get along
Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rosko
cant we all just get along
Hell no! Where's the fun in that?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by timmay70
Maybe it's time that promoters put their foot down and limited what classes/divisions they are going to run and not cave in to what the massive interweb junkies demand. Of whom most will not attend the race they are demand classes in.
Hey, I have an idea, what if we all got together and decided by popular vote what classes would be run, and limit the number of classes? Have an organization like the SCCA, where we can decide on one set of rules so wherever we race we know what the rules would be. I think there is an organization like that, but I can't remember the name, it right on the tip of my keyboard......
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
Why does someone think they can compete with Adam drake but not Paul L?
when was the last time adam drake raced paul lemieux? think about that for a while.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by seaball
when was the last time adam drake raced paul lemieux? think about that for a while.
2007 Buggy Nats, I think we know who did better.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
my question is this:

why does someone think they can compete with jared tebo, but not with mike dumas?
No clue. I relish in the opportunities to get to race faster people. That's why I traveled the entire region for a few years to get better and race the best of the best. I wish I could travel as much as I once did but priorities and other responsibilities at this moment prevent that. Perhaps in another few years I'll have that opportunity again.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

seaball
last time that i can remember for dake and paul l. was 2001 cactus classic
4wd mod
Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
why offer a foam car then, plus at big races that offered rubber tire classes he runs foam tc.
Rosko - That's like saying why does Xray make an 1/18 micro if Lemieux doesn't race it??... Also, what race in the US offers Mod Rubber that I didn't run it?? IIC - Yep, ran Mod Rubber. ROAR Asphalt Nats - Yep, ran Mod Rubber and 10.5. Reedy Race of Champions - Yep, ran Mod Rubber. Novak Race - Yep, ran 10.5 Rubber.... Seriously... Every race I could, I did...

My opinion against rubber years ago was the rediculos antics with tires. I know it was ages ago but everyone forgets I won 3 out of the first 4 ROAR TC Carpet Nats - On rubber tires (Joel Johnson won the other)... At the time it was out of control as I headed off to the Nats with 40 sets of tires, inserts, rims to find the perfect combo. That's out the window now with handout tires. Foams at that time were awesome - Purples and Plaids - We ran them at all tracks, they were hard and lasted at least 8-15 runs (in Mod). Foam was the cheaper answer. Now, it's not and it's not healthy for the TC market and racing. I have begged the foam tire TC race organizers for a handout, spec Purple or Lilac type tire to help foam tire racing before it's dead. Still though, we race with 1 run Pinks or Magentas.....

Novak Race was a good example - Mod TC is an extreme but it shows the point - My tire bill (if buying tires from the hobby shop at Trackside) for Mod TC was about $350-$400. WGT tire bill, $25.00, Rubber 10.5 tire bill $25.00 (I think those were the tire prices).....

Also, it's great that Lemieux and a few of us can hang onto the Mod Foam cars but really.... Who cares?? I can honestly say I don't anymore. I had a blast with the Grand Slam Series this year having awesome races with Herbert, Schreff, Larry, Derroch, Blackstock, Dayger, Chicky, Chester, Calandra, Wynn, EA, Myles, Haynes, Lia, Smyka, Ezrow, Xavier, Crisp, Johnson, Cuffs & JB... Anyone else notice I just named more drivers than at all Mod Foam races all year??

For me, RACING is fun... Driving around with 3-5 other cars on the track is boring.

Add in the fact that if we race rubber we will improve with our rubber tire set-ups and skills for this type of racing. At the moment, we spend 8-10 months a year focusing on foam tire races and then 2-4 months thrashing just to be competitive in rubber tire races. I have raced against all the top drivers in the World and I know the US has some of the best but the best US drivers have their focus in a place that really only hurts their chance to compete against the rest of the World. To me, it's quite disapointing to watch...
Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Carpet nats this year I used one set of rubber tires. Foam I used about 6-8 sets. For racing here on out I am running only rubber tire.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default yes

Gr8 post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.