R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default bushed electric motor problem?

I have an electric team orion 11t brushed motor that seems to be over heating it's getting hot enough to melt the solder on the motor contacts, what causes that? im fairly new to rc racing so any help would be greatly appreciated.
jasjysn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjysn View Post
I have an electric team orion 11t brushed motor that seems to be over heating it's getting hot enough to melt the solder on the motor contacts, what causes that? im fairly new to rc racing so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Overgeared, running too long, holding the throttle when your stuck against an object, 100 deg weather, not enough cooling, motor needs rebuilt etc... are just some things that cause alot heat. Brushed mods motors arent meant to run longer then 6 or so mins at speed and if you using Lipo's, well the Lipo can go for a long time and that motor cant.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

yeah cool thanks i'm not running lipos just nimh 5000 batteries what's happening is im running it for a few minutes on a homemade short course at my house the motor just seems to over heat and melt the solder on the motor contacts, my friend was telling me it could be the timing on the motor or the gearing on my spur and pinion idk.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjysn View Post
yeah cool thanks i'm not running lipos just nimh 5000 batteries what's happening is im running it for a few minutes on a homemade short course at my house the motor just seems to over heat and melt the solder on the motor contacts, my friend was telling me it could be the timing on the motor or the gearing on my spur and pinion idk.
I was born and raised in Bakersfield. I know how hot it gets there and the freshly plowed dry dirt gets into everything. So sounds like you just need to do some motor maintence, let motor cool down between runs, maybe get a motor heatsink and gear down till it's not smoking hot. Could be two much timing.... Thats easy check. Just count the marks between the motor can and top.

Theres a off-raod track at Racers Haven off white ln and also at Lerdo highway off 99 going to shafter.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

yeah cool thanks.