R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default NEED HELP PICKING BRUSHLESS ESC AND MOTORS

NEED HELP ON brushless esc and motors .. trying to get a new set up for my xray but i dont know what brand or kind of brushless esc to get i dont need something too powerfull and too expensive. and motors too.. trying to run 1/10 on road touring stock class racing. please advise.. im trying to get set up asap!

thanks
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

17.5 BL is considered closest to stock 27t brushed racing. 13.5BL is closest to 19t brushed racing. You should shoot for one of those I would think. They are probably the most common too.

Speedo choices are Tekin RS which is a great speedo, but you really should buy a 30.00 extra for it called Hotwire. It allows you to change parameters within the speed controller itself and download updates too. Other good speed controller choice are LRP SPX, and also Ko Propo BMS VFS 1.5 and also speed passion. They all have a thread on this forum so you can read about them.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just got started in the stock racing thing (Novice class) and I can tell you the the Tekin RS and the 17.5 motor combo are darn fine products. A bit of fine tuning with the Hotwire and my 6 year old car is right there (and then some) with the modern cars on the straights. I just need to learn to drive the corners

The Tekin stuff seems pricey at first, but like everything else in electronics - most of the time you get what you pay for and quality is a premium (you already invested in the Xray). The regular software updates help maximize your investment...

My two cents....
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Tekin/Tekin is a win/win combo also you can't go wrong with a Tekin/ Trinity combo both are winning combos no matter what class you run from beginner to open mod!

As for too expensive you get what you pay for. Pay for it once and forget about it...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

i would say tekin rs and a novak,lrp,tekin motor. i put a tekin rs in my vta car and its like your car has a second gear.lol. best speddo i ever hade.
bluesbrother82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any real difference between the RS Pro and the RS aside from the turn limit on the motors?
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturefx View Post
NEED HELP ON brushless esc and motors .. trying to get a new set up for my xray but i dont know what brand or kind of brushless esc to get i dont need something too powerfull and too expensive. and motors too.. trying to run 1/10 on road touring stock class racing. please advise.. im trying to get set up asap!

thanks
you can buy the tekin rs combo(17.5 motor and esc) for about $240. or an lrp sphere tc for about $250. i just checked it out on stormer hobbies.com. they have reasonable prices. the speedpassion is a bit more. those 2 combos are about the most simple but effective setups money can buy. i might also add that they are very smooth. if you get the novak, it might be a bit jumpy. i hope this info helps. good luck on whatever you buy.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The only difference I noticed between the RS and RS Pro (besides turn limit) was internal resistance. I figured since I would only be running a min of 10.5, I'll never 'feel' the difference as those numbers are so small anyway.

So i saved the few dollars, but wished I pony'd up the extra $ and bought the Pro though...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Tekin RS pro and tekin motor hands down

Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

ok thanks guys i think im gonna go with the tekin rs and motor combo im hearing alot of good things about it and im tired of looking so im gonna go for it.

capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

good choice
bluesbrother82 is offline   Reply With Quote