R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, seems that I posted my questions on the right forum because I'm getting alot of very good responses... thanks everyone.

Now, for more interesting stuff...

My setup are fairly new and I want to transfer as much as I can into the on-road car.

I'm considering the T2 009 Rubber and I want to use my electronics if it makes sense.

I have a Novak 13.5 BL, a GTB, Spektrum DS3X, and a HiTec digital servo (not sure which one).

Am I ok using this setup or should I make any changes? I was considering selling the motor and servo with my T4 and getting a slower motor (17.5 and a smaller faster servo).

Or I could keep everything and just reduce the throttle via the DX3S.

Thoughts?
t4tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Tech Master

Why not race both, offroad AND onroad?
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #18
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4tx View Post
Ok, seems that I posted my questions on the right forum because I'm getting alot of very good responses... thanks everyone.

My setup are fairly new and I want to transfer as much as I can into the on-road car.

I'm considering the T2 009 Rubber and I want to use my electronics if it makes sense.

I have a Novak 13.5 BL, a GTB, Spektrum DS3X, and a HiTec digital servo (not sure which one).

Am I ok using this setup or should I make any changes? I was considering selling the motor and servo with my T4 and getting a slower motor (17.5 and a smaller faster servo).

Thoughts?
Honestly the best thing you can do, is to run both! Don't just swtich to onroad and then say "forget it" to off-road, they are both fun in their own ways and both will help you grow in the hobby. As long as the wallet permits, there is no reason you can't run both.

If your track runs foam/carpet, you need to get the carpet xray, the US version. I recommend aiming for the stock class, set your car up for the rules of that class, but then RACE in the novice class untill you get the hang of it. Once you are winning novice, move up to stock.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Yep. Run both if you can.

If you are looking at the X-ray, also check out the Corally, TC5, and Tamiya stuff. I'd get a car that your hobby shop supports - otherwise you'll need to guess what parts to stock up yourself.

If you're not willing to spend the cash, your electronics should work in on-road.
13.5 is super stock
17.5 for RCGT
21.5 for Trans Am

What classes does your track run on carpet?
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:

Thoughts?
Assuming 17.5 is the stock class at your track it'll be a good idea to trade your 13.5 for a 17.5. As far as your servo goes if you want a smaller one check out a Futaba S9551. However you don't need to get right away. Not sure what your budget is but your HiTec will work fine.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

if you can race both...both ways you have to udjust your car to the track conditions...on road will help majorly on keeping your line offroad will teach u for throttle control....after years of running both i stayed with offroad electric cuz i just love cleaning,fixing,tuning...all the offroad stuff....but onroad will actually help you be a WAY better driver also if your track runs the VTA class that would be great
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
The problem is that I'm just not finding myself wanting to waste much time on the dirt since my heart is really on the carpet!
Race carpet; you will have more fun!! Since you are interested in it you will try harder and be more focus. Your driving will improve not which class you race. Therefore the deciding factor is FUN

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. - Muhammad Ali
Castradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #23
Tech Adept

...on road will help majorly on keeping your line offroad will teach u for throttle control

+1 this statement hits the nail right on the head

TC6, Top Photon, B4.1, SC10 FT, Orion Motors and Servos, Tekin RS
AeRacer805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all for the feedback.

The money is important at this time only because I just got into the hobby a few months ago and I can't justify buying all new stuff again. I am going to take a bath on the T4 when I sell it so I'd like to salvage all the electronics if possible. I guess I could also sell the 13.5 and the servo but if I could keep them, I'd rather do that. I can always trim down the throttle to keep my top speed low and help me to control the car better with the 13.5.

I would like to run both but I'm married and have kids so my time is limited and I'd better focus my efforts on only one thing so I'll stick with on-road since it's what I really want to do and it seems that it will only help my driving skills so if I ever did off-road again, I'm only becoming a better driver in the meantime.

With regards to the class of on-road at my track, they do not run the 21.5 VTA anymore. The entry level class is the 1/10th Sedan scale using 13.5 rubber tires. That is the lowest point I can start.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
Tech Master

also on road may be allitle cheaper..not saying the cars but on onroad u have to replace tires and foams every month or so to keep up on ur tires..i used to replace rubber tires for onroad every 2 months and foam tires and bought 3 sets of tires for the whole winter...so in the long run it might be allitle cheaper also u wont break parts nearly as often
Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Was reading another thread regarding ESC/BL combos and it seems that the Tekin RS Pro is a popular choice.

Can you guys tell me if I'm better off selling my GTB/13.5 combo for a Tekin RSPro/17.5 combo? I think money wise, there may be a smaller premium I'll pay but is it worth it?

Remember, I'm not concerned about speed but rather drivability.

I'm just trying to arm myself with the best possible setup that will enable me to learn to drive better and smoother.

Thoughts?

*** EDIT *** I think I'm wrong... Just looked at the used market and I'm not gonna get anywhere near $260 for the used GTB/13.5 combo. I think I should just stick with it and concentrate on my driving skills. Maybe I can offer my 13.5 for trade on a 17.5 or a 21.5 motor but looks like money wise I should keep the GTB. Besides, if I ever go back to off-road I can always use it in another setup. Now, I'm even thinking about just keeping my T4 F/T given how cheap used stuff is!

Last edited by t4tx; 07-22-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Was reading another thread regarding ESC/BL combos and it seems that the Tekin RS Pro is a popular choice.

Can you guys tell me if I'm better off selling my GTB/13.5 combo for a Tekin RSPro/17.5 combo? I think money wise, there may be a smaller premium I'll pay but is it worth it?

I'm just trying to arm myself with the best possible setup that will enable me to learn to drive better and smoother.

Thoughts?

*** EDIT *** I think I'm wrong... Just looked at the used market and I'm not gonna get anywhere near $260 for the used GTB/13.5 combo. I think I should just stick with it and concentrate on my driving skills. Maybe I can offer my 13.5 for trade on a 17.5 or a 21.5 motor but looks like money wise I should keep the GTB. Besides, if I ever go back to off-road I can always use it in another setup. Now, I'm even thinking about just keeping my T4 F/T given how cheap used stuff is!
tekin is the way to go..no competition
Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Thoughts?

No, you've already got solid electronics, no need to switch it all out, & if the local guys are running 13.5's with rubber tires, then that's probably your best bet(don't want to set up for a class that no one will run). As for the chassis, as some have said, you should get an idea of what the guys there are using(it ALWAYS helps if someone local can help you with your car's setup, those who have that particular car will know the most about it) & what your local shops carry parts for(if you break something, you don't want to have to wait a week or two for a replacement part, MUCH easier if the shop has them already so you can get back on track immediately). Also, car choice can depend on what traits you're more comfortable with. For example, Tamiya's cars in general(& especially the 416 series) have a good amount of rear grip, so those who want TONS of steering in their cars may not be that happy with them(but those like myself who value stability above almost all else can benefit GREATLY from that tendency, which is why I only run Tamiyas now) & everyone's different, so no single car will suit everyone. If you can, try asking some of the locals if you could try driving their car for a lap or two, & DEFINITELY talk to them about living & working with the car they race before you decide which car to buy, because in the end it all boils down to what's more comfortable to YOU.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh, & while again it's different for everyone, I know from my experience(& I've been racing for over 20 years now) that learning how to drive well in onroad DEFINITELY helped me be a better driver with ANY class of car. I first started in the dirt(mainly dirt oval), then got into offroad for several years, but I found out about the winter onroad scene around my area & tried it, & while it was a bit painful at first(my car probably did a good impression of a pinball at first, lol), I eventually learned how to drive it smoothly & with precision, & when I went back to offroad the following summer, EVERYONE there noticed the improvement in my driving, the offroad stuff came a LOT easier to me. While I can't guarantee it'll go the same for you, I do believe that onroad is a good way to learn some of those skills.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Oh, & while again it's different for everyone, I know from my experience(& I've been racing for over 20 years now) that learning how to drive well in onroad DEFINITELY helped me be a better driver with ANY class of car. I first started in the dirt(mainly dirt oval), then got into offroad for several years, but I found out about the winter onroad scene around my area & tried it, & while it was a bit painful at first(my car probably did a good impression of a pinball at first, lol), I eventually learned how to drive it smoothly & with precision, & when I went back to offroad the following summer, EVERYONE there noticed the improvement in my driving, the offroad stuff came a LOT easier to me. While I can't guarantee it'll go the same for you, I do believe that onroad is a good way to learn some of those skills.....
Thank you very much for the excellent feedback. I have watched the races several times at my track and I have a couple of friends who race on-road and are willing to let me drive their cars... both are XRays 007 and for the most part, almost everyone at the track runs the XRay T2 cars. Maybe one or two guys run the TC5 and even less than that run the Tamiya 416. As for winners, there's no hard and fast rule... last weekend, the winner of the A-Main was a TC5 and the other heats went to the XRay (probably because there are more of them). As for class, the "entry level" class at my track is the Sedan 13.5 Rubber. There was a VTA class but unfortunately it's gone. My concern is this... if I get the T2 EU Rubber then I may have a hard time learning how to drive because it comes with rubber slicks and we have a carpet track... traction will be tough (I guess). But if I get the US Foam spec then I may have more traction but then I don't know if I'll be able to run in the Rubber class. Maybe I've got this traction thing backwards... Help!

Thanks.

P.S. I'm on your side with traction... I'd much rather have solid stability and less steering than alot of steering and trying to correct rear end skids. As with driving SCCA, you always want more understeer because it's easy to correct by reducing speed but oversteer can literally kill you... much harder to correct an oversteering mistake! With that said, if I did buy a T2 for the sake of conforming with my local shop and being able to get parts, wouldn't it be a simple matter of proper setup to get more understeer and rear-end stability out of that car? Or is the T2 difficult to properly set up?