Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Ballistic goes Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DENNIS STORTI
Well thanks to the Novak crew they were very helpful, They resolved my problem today. Now i just can't wait to try this motor
You will LOVE it! After the first night of racing my Ballistic 13.5, I can assure you that these motors are great... Maybe it's just because it is "fresh" and the "old" Novak 13.5 motor it replaced was 18 months old, but MAN! it sure feels strong...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Steve Weis is the stock factory set timing on the Ballistic 17.5 the same at the SS Pro 17.5? Just trying to see when and if I change motors my gearing is the same or if I need to change it some.

Is the stock timing on the Ballistic 13.5 and SS Pro 13.5 the same timing?

Thanks
Brian
Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Steve Weis is the stock factory set timing on the Ballistic 17.5 the same at the SS Pro 17.5? Just trying to see when and if I change motors my gearing is the same or if I need to change it some.

Thanks
Brian
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH...

I pulled a Novak 13.5 (an EX upgraded to sintered rotor, etc. -- essentially an SS Pro 13.5 except in appearance) and replaced it with a Ballistic 13.5, and I did drop the pinion one tooth, but with that minor adjustment, the performance was slightly stronger on the track (offroad XXXT-CR), temps were about the same... My guess is that, as implied in some of their press releases, the Ballistic is just a high quality, more versatile version of the SS Pro line of motors, with more flexibility and replacement options...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by wyd

Thanks
Brian
The timing that we set the Ballistics to is the same as the SS Pro series of motors: This is approximately 30 degrees.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Company Representative

Ballistic Motor Timing Information Update (Preliminary)

In an effort to answer a number of questions relating to motor timing we have compiled some information to help you better understand static motor timing and its effects with our Ballistic Series of motors.

“How many Degrees of Timing does my Ballistic Motor have?”

Our Ballistic motors come with their timing calibrated and set from the factory. Using custom built and calibrated electronic equipment we set each and every motor to 30 degrees of timing. After Calibration the timing label is added and this set timing corresponds to the “N” on the timing label on the side

Each line on the label denotes a 5 degree change, so the timing available on the motor the label corresponds as follows:

-3 -2 -1 N +1 +2 +3
15 20 25 30 35 40 45

N = 30 (rows do not line up correctly)

SPECIAL NOTE: The timing we are describing is the ACTUAL ELECTRICAL TIMING in the motor, not just some arbitrarily reference made from a point on the outside of the motor like many of our competitors' motors. This makes comparing timing settings between different brands of motors difficult without the proper equipment.

“What Does Timing Adjustment do?”

We set our timing at an optimized point for most general applications. Adjusting the timing should only be done in small increments and with great care to observe the changes in system performance and temperatures.

WE RECOMMEND THAT YOUR SYSTEM’S TEMPERATURE NEVER EXCEED 160 DEGREES FARENHEIGHT.

When adjusting the timing, we recommend adjusting the timing, at most, 1 notch, or 5 degrees at a time.

When you turn the timing up to a more positive number (from N to +1) your motor will produce more no-load RPM and generally suffer a slight reduction in torque. To combat excessive heating brought about the loss of torque we recommend gearing down 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).

When turning the timing down, to a more negative number (from N to -1) your motor will produce less no-load RPM and generally experience an increase in torque. To combat a loss of top end speed brought about by the loss of RPM we recommend gearing up 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
The timing that we set the Ballistics to is the same as the SS Pro series of motors: This is approximately 30 degrees.
Nice!!!!!!!!! Thanks once again for the info. Looks like more Novak motors for me. Wow that sounds weird coming from me but hell the Ballistic is awesome IMO. Guess I will be scooping up a few more Novaks.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by tfrahm
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH...

I pulled a Novak 13.5 (an EX upgraded to sintered rotor, etc. -- essentially an SS Pro 13.5 except in appearance) and replaced it with a Ballistic 13.5, and I did drop the pinion one tooth, but with that minor adjustment, the performance was slightly stronger on the track (offroad XXXT-CR), temps were about the same... My guess is that, as implied in some of their press releases, the Ballistic is just a high quality, more versatile version of the SS Pro line of motors, with more flexibility and replacement options...
Thanks for your insight. Also very helpful to me. I like brushless overall but hate to overheat them and possibly hurt the motor. Seems like brushless motors last a long time as long as they don't get overheated.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

NovakTwo excellent info. That really helps explain alot. For me I want to stick with one brand of motor and know as much as I can about them. This way I can learn gearing and know from motor to motor I know what to expect performance wise and what to gear. Switching motors all the time in brushless is to me alot different than brushed motors ever where.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by wyd
Nice!!!!!!!!! Thanks once again for the info. Looks like more Novak motors for me. Wow that sounds weird coming from me but hell the Ballistic is awesome IMO. Guess I will be scooping up a few more Novaks.
Welcome to TeamOrange......

Earlier someone asked about Ballistic Light motors. We will be adding a couple of Ballistic "Light" wound stators to our accessories in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default GTB ?

Im thinking about getting a GTB to use in my CRC genx 10, but i have a ?. Is the gtb okay to use on 1 cell lipo & does the LVC go low enough to protect the 1 cell lipo ?. Thank's
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Welcome to TeamOrange......

Earlier someone asked about Ballistic Light motors. We will be adding a couple of Ballistic "Light" wound stators to our accessories in a couple of weeks.
Thanks. I'm turning over a new leaf so to speak and branching out of my normal comfort zone. So far I have to say it feels good and the overall experiance has been great.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by hippie
Im thinking about getting a GTB to use in my CRC genx 10, but i have a ?. Is the gtb okay to use on 1 cell lipo & does the LVC go low enough to protect the 1 cell lipo ?. Thank's
The GTB does not have a low voltage cut off designed specifically for 1 Cell LiPos.

The GTB should work fine with the use of a 1S LiPo in conjunction with our Smart Boost Module.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Company Representative

We have just announced our new Havoc 1S controller and 3 systems (10.5, 13.5, amd 17.5) specifically customized for single cell racing. We incorporated our SmartBoost technology into the Havoc platform eliminating the need for boosters or external receiver packs in 1S racing.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We have just announced our new Havoc 1S controller and 3 systems (10.5, 13.5, amd 17.5) specifically customized for single cell racing. We incorporated our SmartBoost technology into the Havoc platform eliminating the need for boosters or external receiver packs in 1S racing.
I see this esc is not avalible yet . Judging by the pics on your site it appers to be the same size as my XBR . It will not fit on the CRC esc center mount under the toplate & behind the battery .

Last edited by hippie; 08-19-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by hippie
I see this esc is not avalible yet . Judging by the pics on your site it appers to be the same size as my XBR . It will not fit on the CRC esc center mount under the toplate & behind the battery .
We will be offering a motor plate accessory for installations in more limited spaces----similar to our earlier GTB-4 Cell version. Depending on future single cell uses and applications, we may offer the Havoc 1S esc with the plate installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.